What's new

Softer coticules are for razors.

Good morning everyone!

I found it interesting that while exploring the Ardennes website this morning there is now a layer info section which explains the properties of La Gross Blanch, La Veinette, etc. Ardennes specifies which are better for tools, chisels, and razors.

All of the layers that are supposedly better for razors are explained as "softer" or "soft" stones. The Harder stones are explained as being better for tools.

I thought this was pretty cool that they are now explaining different layers on their website.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Very interesting, thanks.
When purchasing my La Grise, Jarrod said that it was too soft for tools or kitchen knives, they had the potential to gouge into the stone.

I'll stick to using harder Cotis for razors but I'll avoid shapening Axes on La Grise stones... lol.

Good morning everyone!

I found it interesting that while exploring the Ardennes website this morning there is now a layer info section which explains the properties of La Gross Blanch, La Veinette, etc. Ardennes specifies which are better for tools, chisels, and razors.

All of the layers that are supposedly better for razors are explained as "softer" or "soft" stones. The Harder stones are explained as being better for tools.

I thought this was pretty cool that they are now explaining different layers on their website.

Old texts used to say Coticules were only good for razors because they were too soft for tools.

I am on the harder is better camp too. But maybe we are missing something?

They do handle the stones daily and all...

There is old hone literature out there saying softer stones you can scratch are what you want.

Softer is definitely easier to progress on in my experience. That'd be my guess as to their reasoning. Personally I find a hard base stone and a soft slurry to be a good compromise.

I discussed something with Maurice a few weeks ago - he had a very hard Coti listed and the caption said 'for tools' with no mention of razors.
When I questioned this - he said that the stone in question would be fine for razors but most users would have difficulty doing so. He followed that with something about my having used very hard Cotis in the past meant I would have no issues.

My guess is this is loosely based on the assumed pressure that will be used for tools vs. razors. Of course you can use either for a razor, the same is not true with tools.

It was my understanding that harder = better. Softer = less capable of a keen edge, if at all.

Is this wrong? Out of my personal experience, which isn't much compared to some others, I would have to say that I am correct.

I am another "hard coti" fan. I must say though, I have gotten some excellent smooth edges from some of my softer (ie: slower) La Grises. IME both hard & soft will work for razors, it's just that one requires a bit more patience than the other...

My best coti for dilucot is actually softer, and it's a very, very fast stone but not the best finisher. My best finisher is a wicked hard La Veinette.

Honestly, the best stone I can Dilucot on is my 4x2 old rock coticule. It was from an old barber's estate sale. It's very hard and very dense.

Disburden, would you mind posting a picture of your old rock top and side as I have too and would like to compare them.

I'm a fan of cotiCULES that work. I don't care if they're hard, soft, yellow or sky blue pink...

And, as Nick mentioned, I've had my greatest success with vintage stones.

Top Bottom