What's new

Soap Of The Month Club (SOTMC)

Reporting success for March, I was in F4M too. Used up T+S Boreal, maybe one/two shaves left. Good soap, recommend.

I am in for April '19:

Soap: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Attempts: 2
Completions: 1
(Tallow+Steel Boreal)
Consecutive Months: 1
Months Skipped: --
Fails: --

I'm in for April. Col. Conk Bay Rum soap.
Attempts: 27
Completions: 25
Fails: 2 (July 2015, August 2016)

Soaps Used: Tabac soap x7, T&H Sandalwood soap x3, GFT Eucris soap x3, GFT Violet soap x3, Proraso Green soap x2, Spieck cream x2, TOBS Avocado cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill rose cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill Grafton cream, Dr. Harris Marlborough soap, Midnight & Two's The Study, Barrister & mann Leviathan, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Great Canadian Shave Co. lavender, Stirling Black Cumin & Orange.

Soaps finished during a month: 5 (Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Stirling Black Cumin, Fendrihan's Sandalwood & Lavender, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, and Tabac)
Months skipped in total: 20 (February & March 2016, November 2016 to August 2017, April 2018, & July 2018 to January 2019)
Longest stretch consecutive months:7

April 2019
Soap: Mondial Tobacco Verde
Attempts: 43
( DR Harris Arlington, B&M Fougere Aromatique, Blades Grim Smolder, SCS Soap for Hope, WSO Coconut Lime, Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge, Valobra Fougere, LASS Hollywood Romance, Floris Verbena Stick, Estoril Shave Cream, DR Harris Arlington, Mitchell Wool Fat, Valobra Regular, DR Harris Arlington, Mondial Tobacco Verde )
Completions: 42
Fails: 0
Months skipped:1
Consecutive month:4

Another month with Mondial! Great soap!!!

Gentlemen, I am sorry to report I failed this month. I was using Phoenix and Beau Imperial Rum. Excellent soap base; scent-wise however I couldn't say I wholeheartedly liked it. I haven't found a bay rum scent I completely agreed with, and I am giving up on looking for one. I am sure I am not missing much with the variety available today. I PIFed the soap to a relative of mine, he will enjoy it the way its makers intended. Myself I opened Phoenix and Beau Albion. Performance is as expected of P&B, mild floral-like scent - much better.
Again, no dent on P&B reputation as an excellent soap maker.

I've been using a sample of DR Harris Arlington since March 30th. It has a good chance of making it all the way through April.

A few years back DR Harris was all the rage on the 3017 thread with people doing a year of Harris and such. Then the tides turned and many of the same people seemed dissatisfied with the soaps, so my expectations were somewhat low. I find the soap very good and I like it much better than I expected.

Heya @bluesman 7
I like DR Harris (Arlington) soap too. I have to load it heavier than other soaps to get enough lather for 2 passes. We have pretty low humidity here, so if I don’t use it for awhile I like to add some water to soak in the night before using again. Lasts a long time too. Good stuff.

Good to cya ‘round here!

My DR Harris sample easily made it through the month. My high opinion of the soap lasted as well. Probably another couple weeks left on this sample that I'll be using until it's gone.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I'm in for May 2019

Soap: MdC
Attempts: 43
Completions: 41
Consecutive Months: 06
Months Skipped: 02
Fails: 01

I'm in for May 2019. Continuing to 3017 my WSP Mahagony. I have about 50g of the 125g left and should make it through the month easily. I have enjoyed the process and am able to make at least passable lather with minimal effort. The 60+ shaves I have done this year with the soap makes it (obviously) the most used soap of the year so far. It is probably my most used soap base and scent combined, however, Stirling still reigns as my most use soap base.

Soap: WSP Mahagony
Attempts: 3
Completions: 2
Consecutive Months: 3
Months Skipped: 0

One question for clarification, looking at the original 'rules' it seems that you can change soaps in the middle of a month without failing for allergy reasons or because you finish the soap. While this isn't a concern for this month, I am planning ahead and trying to decide if I should skip whichever month I think I might end on, fail the month I think I might end on, or continue shaving business as usual secure in the fact that my successful 3017 leads to a penalty-free soap change.

Success for April, Col Conk Bay Rum was a great soap.

I'm in for May Tabac soap.

Attempts: 28
Completions: 26
Fails: 2 (July 2015, August 2016)

Soaps Used: Tabac soap x7, T&H Sandalwood soap x3, GFT Eucris soap x3, GFT Violet soap x3, Proraso Green soap x2, Spieck cream x2, TOBS Avocado cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill rose cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill Grafton cream, Dr. Harris Marlborough soap, Midnight & Two's The Study, Col. Conk Bay Rum, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Great Canadian Shave Co. Lavender, Stirling Black Cumin & Orange.

Soaps finished during a month: 5 (Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Stirling Black Cumin, Fendrihan's Sandalwood & Lavender, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, and Tabac)
Months skipped in total: 20 (February & March 2016, November 2016 to August 2017, April 2018, & July 2018 to January 2019)
Longest stretch consecutive months:7

One question for clarification, looking at the original 'rules' it seems that you can change soaps in the middle of a month without failing for allergy reasons or because you finish the soap. While this isn't a concern for this month, I am planning ahead and trying to decide if I should skip whichever month I think I might end on, fail the month I think I might end on, or continue shaving business as usual secure in the fact that my successful 3017 leads to a penalty-free soap change.
Yes, you can switch soaps mid month because of running out of product without failing the month. I have not been involved with this thread for a few years, but I was involved when the rules were being forged. The idea here was not to saddle participants with a bunch of partial pucks and samples that they could not use up, and to promote the 3017 behavior that you are asking about. As the rule stands there is no limit on the number of soaps that you could use in a month as long as each one is used up before starting the next.

Last edited:
May 2019
Soap: Mondial Tobacco Verde
Attempts: 44
( DR Harris Arlington, B&M Fougere Aromatique, Blades Grim Smolder, SCS Soap for Hope, WSO Coconut Lime, Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge, Valobra Fougere, LASS Hollywood Romance, Floris Verbena Stick, Estoril Shave Cream, DR Harris Arlington, Mitchell Wool Fat, Valobra Regular, DR Harris Arlington, Mondial Tobacco Verde )
Completions: 43
Months skipped:1
Consecutive month:5

Good to see more activity! Loving this soap, I'm in it until done!!!

My DR Harris sample easily made it through the month. My high opinion of the soap lasted as well. Probably another couple weeks left on this sample that I'll be using until it's gone.
I finished the DR Harris Arlington sample and broke into the Arko stick that it was mounted on today. If I continue with the Arko for the rest of the month, I would be within the rules for May. I'll be using Arko for at least a couple of days while I decide.

I finished the DR Harris Arlington sample and broke into the Arko stick that it was mounted on today. If I continue with the Arko for the rest of the month, I would be within the rules for May. I'll be using Arko for at least a couple of days while I decide.
Getting along fine with Arko, so I will be finishing the month with it and staying in compliance for May.

I forgot how much I really do like Arko. I've been using a lot of higher end samples lately and doubt had started creeping in.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I'm in for June 2019

Soap: MdC
Attempts: 44
Completions: 42
Consecutive Months: 07
Months Skipped: 02
Fails: 01

Top Bottom