What's new

So... I've been prejudiced against Williams

But not anymore!

Here's my secret: I've been avoiding Williams because of its horribly polarizing reviews. Not because of its price, since I gave ol' Van Der Hagen a shot. Some loyalists love it, but the general majority of users hate it, even those that have been trying to get a decent lather after 25 years. Of course, it'd been pretty hard for me to find - not sold in any Walgreens, CVS/pharmacy or grocery store nearby; and my Rite-Aid has always been sold out. Well, a single, solitary blue & white cardboard box was sitting next to the VDH brush and soaps yesterday, as I stopped by to replenish my ASB. For only $1.49, why not? I already liked the smell better than Tabac or VDH, so it could replace them as a break-in soap if I didn't like it.

Now, I'd read the "tips" on how to handle the soap. Use hot water. Soak your puck. Say your prayers and take your vitamins. But when I got home and felt the puck in my hands, I said to myself, "I don't need that hooey!" So, this morning, I ran my normal prep with a rinsing of warm water on my face, and a rubbing of pre-shave oil. I pulled my trusty Semogue 830, and set it to soak up a little water into the bristles. Spent a few minutes taking care of my morning e-mail, then headed back into the bathroom. So I took the brush, gave it a small shake, and then to town on the dry puck - my boar wasn't dripping wet, but I could have squeezed the knot and water could have come gushing out pretty easily. All evidence points to having to use a lot of soap while lathering, so that's what was going to happen.

I started to load the soap like I do everything else. Suddenly, I was hit with the scent of Ivory soap and citronella candles. Very reminiscent of the Arko shave stick (but that also has a hint of urinal cake), which I never particularly cared for. As I look into my cup after about 15 seconds, I start to wonder what everyone is fussing about. This thing is starter to build lather like Mitchell's Wool Fat can only dream. After a little bit, I start lathering my face, adding little dips of water. Again, I fail to see the difficulty others are experiencing, but I've never had problems with MWF either. This is thick and creamy and moist.

Out comes my favorite straight, my very simple Korn Booster, with the blued tang. Without changing routine, I go for my usual 2 pass shave: once across the grain, then again against the grain. It's all astonishingly normal. No destabilization of lather noted in the time it took to complete my shave. It was as slick as anything, nearly on par with my AOS soap. However, I did notice it lacked a bit of cushion, despite how thick I like my lather. Oh well. It's not like I'm being careless here or anything. The Williams just shaved very, very smoothly. After rinsing my face, I found it to leave my skin smooth as well. Not soft like Cella, but just plain smooth without being dried out. My favored AOS sandalwood doesn't even do that (it leaves a very slight tack on my face, in fact), only MWF does. Finishing with some witch hazel and ASB, it's a perfectly satisfactory shave. No nicks. No weepers. No irritation.

Aside from the smell, I have zero issues with the soap. Well... it could be a bit bigger, like the other soaps I use. Man, that puck is tiny. But it performs perfectly fine. Were it the only soap available to me, that would be fine. It's more suited to straight shaving than Cella IMO, with its greater glide. It treats my skin better than VDH which dries my face out something fierce. And it lathers more easily than MWF, which performs very similarly when shaving.

If it only had the sexy smell of AOS sandalwood.

I'd read the "tips" on how to handle the soap. Use hot water. Soak your puck. Say your prayers and take your vitamins. But when I got home and felt the puck in my hands, I said to myself, "I don't need that hooey!"

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. I don't need to do anything special with Williams either: I just face-lather it and shave. The tips are for folks who have had trouble, and still want to try again. As always, YMMV.

If Williams had a more interesting scent, and moisturized my skin like MWF or PSGT, I would use it more often. As it is, I use it once a month or so.

Another convert! Williams was my only soap for years. I have since found some others I like a bit better for one reason or another. But I still like williams and I still appreciate the value.

Considering how much product needs to be used, and how small the puck is, I'm unsure of how much of a value it is compared to others.

I feel that many denigrate Williams, to justify their use of higher priced soaps, which they buy for a more appealing scent or status. IMHO.

But not anymore!

Here's my secret: I've been avoiding Williams because of its horribly polarizing reviews. Not because of its price, since I gave ol' Van Der Hagen a shot. Some loyalists love it, but the general majority of users hate it, even those that have been trying to get a decent lather after 25 years. Of course, it'd been pretty hard for me to find - not sold in any Walgreens, CVS/pharmacy or grocery store nearby; and my Rite-Aid has always been sold out. Well, a single, solitary blue & white cardboard box was sitting next to the VDH brush and soaps yesterday, as I stopped by to replenish my ASB. For only $1.49, why not? I already liked the smell better than Tabac or VDH, so it could replace them as a break-in soap if I didn't like it.

Now, I'd read the "tips" on how to handle the soap. Use hot water. Soak your puck. Say your prayers and take your vitamins. But when I got home and felt the puck in my hands, I said to myself, "I don't need that hooey!" So, this morning, I ran my normal prep with a rinsing of warm water on my face, and a rubbing of pre-shave oil. I pulled my trusty Semogue 830, and set it to soak up a little water into the bristles. Spent a few minutes taking care of my morning e-mail, then headed back into the bathroom. So I took the brush, gave it a small shake, and then to town on the dry puck - my boar wasn't dripping wet, but I could have squeezed the knot and water could have come gushing out pretty easily. All evidence points to having to use a lot of soap while lathering, so that's what was going to happen.

I started to load the soap like I do everything else. Suddenly, I was hit with the scent of Ivory soap and citronella candles. Very reminiscent of the Arko shave stick (but that also has a hint of urinal cake), which I never particularly cared for. As I look into my cup after about 15 seconds, I start to wonder what everyone is fussing about. This thing is starter to build lather like Mitchell's Wool Fat can only dream. After a little bit, I start lathering my face, adding little dips of water. Again, I fail to see the difficulty others are experiencing, but I've never had problems with MWF either. This is thick and creamy and moist.

Out comes my favorite straight, my very simple Korn Booster, with the blued tang. Without changing routine, I go for my usual 2 pass shave: once across the grain, then again against the grain. It's all astonishingly normal. No destabilization of lather noted in the time it took to complete my shave. It was as slick as anything, nearly on par with my AOS soap. However, I did notice it lacked a bit of cushion, despite how thick I like my lather. Oh well. It's not like I'm being careless here or anything. The Williams just shaved very, very smoothly. After rinsing my face, I found it to leave my skin smooth as well. Not soft like Cella, but just plain smooth without being dried out. My favored AOS sandalwood doesn't even do that (it leaves a very slight tack on my face, in fact), only MWF does. Finishing with some witch hazel and ASB, it's a perfectly satisfactory shave. No nicks. No weepers. No irritation.

Aside from the smell, I have zero issues with the soap. Well... it could be a bit bigger, like the other soaps I use. Man, that puck is tiny. But it performs perfectly fine. Were it the only soap available to me, that would be fine. It's more suited to straight shaving than Cella IMO, with its greater glide. It treats my skin better than VDH which dries my face out something fierce. And it lathers more easily than MWF, which performs very similarly when shaving.

If it only had the sexy smell of AOS sandalwood.

Great post Jessie!

Regarding the performance...do you have soft water? We're lucky to have very soft water here (in Scotland) and I've never had any issues with Williams either :thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great review Jesse!

I was like you before I tried it... I always though, $1.50-$2... you probably get whatever a $2 tallow soap is worth... not much... I was very surprised. I don't mind the citronella that much, must be because I love Citrus scents!

Considering how much product needs to be used, and how small the puck is, I'm unsure of how much of a value it is compared to others.

Really enjoyed your post. As to cost/value issues, in the days before SAD took over, I used a Williams puck for about 6 weeks of daily shaving before running out. YMMV and all that, but Williams is a great value.

As a proud member of the Williams Anti-Social Group, I invite you to consider joining us.

Great post and review. I've never had any problems getting the Williams to lather at all, I use it regularly. But, since I've started to use one of the two vintage pucks I bought recently I can't hardly bring myself to use anything else. It is really, really, really good.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
"So... I've been prejudiced against Williams"

That's exactly what the very vocal William's haters do on this forum. It's a pity that they can't seem to get an enjoyable shave from it like many of us and then discourage others. Life online, I guess.

Join The Anti-Social Williams Group

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've tried to like Williams and I do find it adequate but not luxurious. That was the first soap I used many years ago but there is just such a tremendous selection available. The internet has freed us from the local pharmacy.

I am addicted to the scent though. I'm going to ask the artisan soap maker I order from to try to duplicate the scent which I suppose is just lemon (I believe "citron" is French for "lemon") and scent a really good soap with it.

Thanks for taking the time to read, everyone. I was owrried the post was going to get a "too long, did not read" response.

Great post Jessie!

Regarding the performance...do you have soft water? We're lucky to have very soft water here (in Scotland) and I've never had any issues with Williams either :thumbup:

SF Bay Area water. It doesn't feel particularly soft, but definitely isn't as hard as in southern California. Does "regular" count?

Now that I've figured it's a decent shaving soap, I wish I'd have sprung for trying vintage Williams or Old Spice or something. I'm not big on using disposables you can't truly get anymore though, so have chosen to avoid them for that reason. Instead, I've saddled myself with MWF (love), Cella (really like, Tabac (hate), VDH (dislike), AOS sandalwood (love so much I want to marry it). Got the Provence Sante mentioned by mblakele on order too, in both flavors.

Where'd you end up getting your puck saabaru? I had considered that myself eventually, since it'd been so difficult to find locally.

Every time I try and use Williams, the guy in the mirror tells me not to. I think he may be prejudiced against it.

I think he may also be stalking me. Everytime I try and sneak into the shave den for a Williams lather......there he is with a dissaproving look on his face.

I've tried to talk to him calmly about it, ask him to give it another try...soak the puck, or something.....but the discussion usually gets a bit heated, and before we can come to some kind of mutual understanding our arguement gets interuppted by my wife banging on the bathroom door asking me why I'm yelling, and who am I calling a "gutless, Williams loving numbskull"?

For some reason Williams smells like Fruity Pebbles to me. Love the smell, but couldn't get performance out of it because I don't own a good boar brush, just badger.

For some reason Williams smells like Fruity Pebbles to me. Love the smell, but couldn't get performance out of it because I don't own a good boar brush, just badger.

I don't think the brush is too critical....I get equally nice lather with both my boars (Men-U and Omega '49) and my Tweezerman badger :thumbup:

Top Bottom