What's new

So... I've been prejudiced against Williams

OK...I had my first shave using Williams this week and I had a very good shave with it. It is not at the same level as my usual MWF or even Proraso, but it will be in my rotation. For the price this is a good soap to try...variety is the spice of life...right?

The legends say that one day, an open mind will appear and every single Williams thread that has ever been posted will go swirling down a vast whirlpool of hype, misconceptions, and blind hatred and loyalty.

Perhaps we have reached that day! :lol:

The legends say that one day, an open mind will appear and every single Williams thread that has ever been posted will go swirling down a vast whirlpool of hype, misconceptions, and blind hatred and loyalty.

Perhaps we have reached that day! :lol:

The only way for that to happen is for every recent formulation puck of Williams to simultaneously go swirling down the toilet bowl....

Only then will the soaps forum know peace....

Hah! I knew this peace between Williams and AntiWilliams could never be.

I'm taking my olive branch and making a club out of it.

Now, off to get a great shave with modern Williams, grocery store Personna blades, low budget Omega Pro and a lowly Ball End Tech...and I'll finish with a healthy splash of Pacific Rush AS.

Cheap, effective, enjoyable. And every pass will be laced with the sweet knowledge that the very existence of my satisfying shave with Williams will send the nattering nabobs of Williams negativism off howling with crazed, mad desire to declare my thick and lasting lather to be sour grapes.

I am the Great and Powerful Williams!

proxy.php

(Pay no attention to the den behind the curtain stuffed with Cella, Vintage Williams and Old Spice, Tabac, PC, MB, and other soaps)

I agree with the OP. Current production Williams works very well for me, and I currently have around 30+ pucks, most of them the expensive Euro variety. I've also always thought that Williams' scent was a dead ringer for Ivory soap, and being a child of the 50s, that rings a lot of very pleasant memories for me. Also, I think of Williams as the American MWF. They both lather and work nearly identically for me.

I have been enjoying new Williams for the past 2 evenings as my shave lather. It is pretty functional and i am enjoying the citronella smell. It definitely isn't leaving my face dry and tight. My skin feels smooth and normal.

Have only bowl lathered with it so far. My first lather was good (in my SOTD 7/26 pic w/ Shea Moisture badger brush), yesterdays' lather was even better, I used a synthetic brush ( a 'Chocolate & Gold" I got in a newbie set that I am going to pass on to my father) & i think i added more water. It's definitely not as heavy/dense as some of my other lathers.

Unlike some other shaving soaps/creams, there doesn't seem like anything is left on the face after a pass to use for touch-up (I usually do this by just applying a bit of water and hand lathering the "residue".)

While it smells "institutional" in puck form, the lather has a much gentler scent and not overwhelming.

I was actually not going to try Williams due to the negativity, but at the price, i couldn't pass it up and I am glad I picked it up. :badger:

No, I believe he is saying that he has 30+ differnet brands of fancy European soaps (TOBS, Trumps, etc, etc), not that there is a fancy style of Euro Williams.

*shudder*:scared:

That's even worse. 30 different brands of amazing soap and somehow he still finds time to use Williams. One must ask..... WHY????? :confused1

Williams is a perfectly fine soap. I think if it were made in the United Kingdom many folks would be singing its praises to the high heavens just like another soap which is made there, costs a whole lot more, and IMHO is much like Williams in many ways. Of course YMMV.

Williams is a perfectly fine soap. I think if it were made in the United Kingdom many folks would be singing its praises to the high heavens just like another soap which is made there, costs a whole lot more, and IMHO is much like Williams in many ways. Of course YMMV.

Why be so cryptic? What soap are you talking about? (Besides Williams, of course.)

Williams just works..... for many of us but not for all of us.

Enjoy and use the saved money to buy blades and handles. :thumbup1:

I've been using Williams since the mid Seventies... ever since I bought an Old spice mug, used up the OS puck and couldn't find it anymore. Williams has always been on the shelves.
Of course, this goes back to the days when I thought shaving (we didn't call it "wet shaving" back them) was just for removing whiskers!
In all thjat time, and I admit to being quite remiss to my duty to keep track of the reformulations, Williams has never let me down.
I've since found soaps I like as much, and a few better, but williams stays in my OS mug as it has for nearly 35 years.
Now, it doesn't make no nevermind to me what folks like or hate, choose to use or bypass... But I find it a wee bit sad that some folks who have never tried Williams, mighty find the venomous posts of hatred toward a product worthy of merit, and just never give a fine, workmanlike soap a chance.
Now, I realize that some of the derogatory posts are a bit tongue in cheek, and I get a laugh out of them, but some folks just seem to have an unfathomable need to run the product down at every, and I mean every opportunity... Perhaps a need to attempt to controlo others' thoughts and actions?? I dunno, I can't explain it...

But, here's my Williams from this morning's shave... A fresh puck a few short months ago, so I assume it's the latest (re) formulation...

If you can't enjoy a great shave with this lather, I must live on a different planet, or be blessed with a God-given ability to lather this stuff!

And BTW, I find Williams ands MWF to be products that lather easily for me!

proxy.php

The first and most important though unacknowledged rule of commenting on shaving products on B & B:

No matter how many people get great results from a particular item if I don't like it there is something wrong with the product; it can't be me.

After all, shaving preferences are objective and can pass the test of the most rigorous scientific methods. It is a crime there is no Nobel Prize for shaving.

The first and most important though unacknowledged rule of commenting on shaving products on B & B:

No matter how many people get great results from a particular item if I don't like it there is something wrong with the product; it can't be me.

After all, shaving preferences are objective and can pass the test of the most rigorous scientific methods. It is a crime there is no Nobel Prize for shaving.

+1 on your sagacious observation.

:lol::lol:

But at the same time; no matter how many people hate a specific item, if it works for me it is still great. Others simply don't know how to use it!!

I've been using Williams since the mid Seventies... ever since I bought an Old spice mug, used up the OS puck and couldn't find it anymore. Williams has always been on the shelves.
Of course, this goes back to the days when I thought shaving (we didn't call it "wet shaving" back them) was just for removing whiskers!
In all thjat time, and I admit to being quite remiss to my duty to keep track of the reformulations, Williams has never let me down.
I've since found soaps I like as much, and a few better, but williams stays in my OS mug as it has for nearly 35 years.
Now, it doesn't make no nevermind to me what folks like or hate, choose to use or bypass... But I find it a wee bit sad that some folks who have never tried Williams, mighty find the venomous posts of hatred toward a product worthy of merit, and just never give a fine, workmanlike soap a chance.
Now, I realize that some of the derogatory posts are a bit tongue in cheek, and I get a laugh out of them, but some folks just seem to have an unfathomable need to run the product down at every, and I mean every opportunity... Perhaps a need to attempt to controlo others' thoughts and actions?? I dunno, I can't explain it...

But, here's my Williams from this morning's shave... A fresh puck a few short months ago, so I assume it's the latest (re) formulation...

If you can't enjoy a great shave with this lather, I must live on a different planet, or be blessed with a God-given ability to lather this stuff!

And BTW, I find Williams ands MWF to be products that lather easily for me!

proxy.php

Classic case of the boiled frog syndrome:
They say that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water,
it will leap out right away to escape the danger.
But, if you put a frog in a kettle that is filled with water that is cool and pleasant,
and then you gradually heat the kettle until it starts boiling,
the frog will not become aware of the threat until it is too late.
The frog's survival instincts are geared towards detecting sudden changes.

Top Bottom