What's new

So... I've been prejudiced against Williams

There is a CVS right across the street from me and they always have 4 or 5 in stock. If you like it and can't find it, let me know and I can send you some. No probs finding it here.

Great post Jessie!

Regarding the performance...do you have soft water? We're lucky to have very soft water here (in Scotland) and I've never had any issues with Williams either :thumbup:

Good to know I'm not the only person in Scotland who likes Williams. I have 9 pucks generously sent to me by various people and hopefully that will last me for quite a while. I don't have a problem making lather provided I load the brush with plenty of soap. I do wish this was available at the local supermarket the same way that Wilkinson Sword and Palmolive are.

Whoa now..... I'd trade you all the Williams in the world for Palmolive to be available like that here. I believe it's what most people wish Williams "could" be". Nice scent, amazingly easy to lather, cheap, smooth, slick, and protective.

I'm starting to believe that the essential element in getting decent lather out of current Williams isn't what brush you use, how hard or soft your water is, or if you soak the puck while you rattle beads and do a rain dance.

To make Williams work, you must lack vitriol. Observing the posts of those who have a tough time with it, it's the only constant in the equation...:lol:

I'm starting to believe that the essential element in getting decent lather out of current Williams isn't what brush you use, how hard or soft your water is, or if you soak the puck while you rattle beads and do a rain dance.

To make Williams work, you must lack vitriol. Observing the posts of those who have a tough time with it, it's the only constant in the equation...:lol:

Interesting....

So to get it to work, instead of working to soften the puck, rather one must be soft in the head?
:tongue_sm

Oh I don't know. Works fine for me, and I've never been accused of lacking in vitriol.

Go ahead, make my day... Tell me you like Chicago pizza above all others, but be prepared to choose a weapon and defend your heresy! :glare:

Whoa now..... I'd trade you all the Williams in the world for Palmolive to be available like that here. I believe it's what most people wish Williams "could" be". Nice scent, amazingly easy to lather, cheap, smooth, slick, and protective.

The supermarkets don't seem to think much of it given the position it is given on the shelves, hidden away below the rows of cans of foam and gel. I feel rather silly for having walked right past this stuff for at least 4 years when I went to pick up yet another can of gel. I wish I knew who else round here buys it because it can't just be me.

I used to love Williams. The scent is first rate, IMHO, and I never had much trouble lathering, and little to no irritation, even when using straights. No problem. I got into the English creams though, and then Proraso (Jubilate Deo!). But something changed with Williams, and not just the packaging. I still have a puck from 2002 or 03, as well as a puck from sometime in later 03 or 04, when the packaging started changing a little (though still has the circle for the price sticker). The difference between the older and the new-current Williams? Sodium tallowate used to be the first listed ingredient, and now it is the second. I think that must be why this stuff does not lather the way I remember it, and tends to dry very quickly. I bought a new puck (boy has the packaging changed!) and lathered up yesterday . . . and wished I had not. I got a decent shave, but the soap is lousy, lousy, lousy (and I have soft water that makes just about any soap explode with lather on contact).

I like soaps better than creams. I think that, after eight years of wet shaving, it is time to try . . . Tabac! I still cannot believe I have gone this long without trying it, but I get set on something and tend to stick with it (Proraso has been a mainstay for five + years now). So hopefully very soon, I will give Tabac a go.

But something changed with Williams, and not just the packaging. I still have a puck from 2002 or 03, as well as a puck from sometime in later 03 or 04, when the packaging started changing a little (though still has the circle for the price sticker). The difference between the older and the new-current Williams? Sodium tallowate used to be the first listed ingredient, and now it is the second. I think that must be why this stuff does not lather the way I remember it, and tends to dry very quickly. I bought a new puck (boy has the packaging changed!) and lathered up yesterday . . . and wished I had not. I got a decent shave, but the soap is lousy, lousy, lousy (and I have soft water that makes just about any soap explode with lather on contact).

Williams has undergone several reformulations throughout the years. The most recent (that resulted in the current wretched product) was in 2005 when Combe took over. I have tried the version just prior to the Combe takeover: it was a decent quality shaving soap, but not as amazing as the Williams formulation from the mid-1970's, and before; that stuff was Tabac level quality.

Anyway, each reformulation has made Williams a little less good, culminating in the nearly unusable disaster of a shaving soap that it is today.

Those who have never tried the 1970's era Williams might argue that the current product is a good shaving soap; I doubt they would hold that position once they realized how good it once was. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Williams has undergone several reformulations throughout the years. The most recent (that resulted in the current wretched prodcut) was in 2005 when Combe took over. I have tried the version just prior to the Combe takeover: it was a decent quality shaving soap, but not as amazing as the Williams formulation from the mid-1970's, and before; that stuff was Tabac level quality.

Anyway, each reformulation has made Williams a little less good, culminating in the nearly unusable disaster of a shaving soap that it is today.

Those who have never tried the 1970's era Williams might argue that the current product is a good shaving soap; I doubt they would hold that position once they realized how good it once was. :tongue_sm

Even back in the '60's and '70's I didn't like Williams as much as I did Colgate. Colgate was my only soap at that time. I used it until it was discontinued in the US and I could no longer find it in my local stores.

But still, as a proud member of the Anti-Social Williams Group, I must defend this soap as being unfairly attacked by many of the Williams haters out there. This soap can and does deliver decent quality at an exceptional price. Could it be better, sure. However, it is not nearly as bad as some would make it out to be.

I just ordered the Tabac and look forward to trying it.

I might finally use that old puck of Williams this weekend, and see how it goes. I always got great shaves with it, until the new formulation came out. Now, I wonder if there are any 70's or earlier Williams pucks out there . . . When I can, I may start scouring the internet for them :)

How about that; it seems there are a few on ebay right now. Hopefully I can still find a few when I have the extra money to spend. I am sure the old ones have little or no scent left to them, but that means little to me if it offers a good shave. Love the Williams scent though:thumbup1:

How about that; it seems there are a few on ebay right now. Hopefully I can still find a few when I have the extra money to spend. I am sure the old ones have little or no scent left to them, but that means little to me if it offers a good shave. Love the Williams scent though:thumbup1:

There are a couple pucks on Ebay individually each week, and quite a few others that are part of a package deal, usually being sold with an Old Spice Mug.

It's not hard to come by, but it may cost you $10 per puck, unless you get lucky, and find a puck no one else has noticed. :tongue_sm

There are a couple pucks on Ebay individually each week, and quite a few others that are part of a package deal, usually being sold with an Old Spice Mug.

It's not hard to come by, but it may cost you $10 per puck, unless you get lucky, and find a puck no one else has noticed. :tongue_sm

Sounds as if it might be worth it, though. I imagine the older pucks last longer than the current product. But if Tabac lives up to the hype, I may never bother with it.

Does anyone else think Tabac packaging looks like 1980's Avon?

Sounds as if it might be worth it, though. I imagine the older pucks last longer than the current product. But if Tabac lives up to the hype, I may never bother with it.

I bought most of my pucks a few months back (before I started hyping Vintage Williams on the board every chance I got, and thus driving prices up. :lol::lol:), and was able to score them for on average $5 per puck.

It's a great quality tallow based soap, and very likely worth the $10 per puck price tag.

And yes, I have to believe the vintage stuff lasts far longer than the current rendition, which as I understand it requires the usage of a lot of product (especially if you use "Zach's Method" of lathering directly on the puck) to achieve a good quality lather.

Does anyone else think Tabac packaging looks like 1980's Avon?

It's definitely stuck in the '80s, and not in a cute vintage kind of way. Simply awful looking. I've come to associate the product's performance with the packaging though, so it's grown on me.

Masters aftershaves are even worse for this IMO. Both packages are proof that no amount of "retro" will ever make some things cool again.

That said, both products make me lust for a mint Gremlin with the 305 V-8. :thumbup1:
proxy.php

Excellent post! I picked up my first puck of Williams this evening and looking forward to tomorrows shave.

OK...I had my first shave using Williams this week and I had a very good shave with it. It is not at the same level as my usual MWF or even Proraso, but it will be in my rotation. For the price this is a good soap to try...variety is the spice of life...right?

Top Bottom