What's new

So... a confession of sorts.

In my younger days I trained in judo (and some other martial arts). I loved it (and keep thinking I should get back into it if for no other reason than exercise).

I envy you for having been paid to watch judo and talk about it! Unfortunately, judo is not really broadcast in the US, so it's a matter of finding online broadcasts that work after finding out about them.

I'm also stoked you got to train at the Kodokan! Do you play in the center ring or along the periphery?
If you are in reasonable shape, then you should go for it after COVID19 winds down. I restarted judo as an adult. You need to
lower your expectations since you body is not a pliable as in your youth. The first two weeks are tough. You will hurt all over
but if your ukemi (breakfalls) are done properly, your body will adapt.

Yes, commenting on your favorite sport live for an audience was an amazing experience. I was even able to meet some of my judo heroes and commentate with them. I finished my judo broadcasting with a stint at the Rio Olympics. To see athletes that you have interviewed and gotten to know realize their Olympic dreams was unbelievable.

At the Kodokan, I train whereever my randori partner takes me. I also compete in kata and received my coaching certification a year before COVID19. Despite no longer being with the IJF, I keep active in judo circles in Japan. The recent passing of Koga Toshihiko was particularly poignant as I had a chance to talk with him at a coaching seminar two years ago.

I used to watch at least 150 ball games a year on TV. I think I've seen 3 innings this spring. I watched the NCAA hockey tournament, but no NHL this winter. I've never been a basketball fan. I watch all of the World Cup alpine and cross country skiing I can find as well as the biathlon. I love seeing beautiful Norwegian women breathing hard while they shoot rifles. I also watched a lot of softball this spring, and look forward to the NCAA tournament starting in a week. Can't wait for the Tour de France.

I am a big fan of Winter Olympics. 100x better than Summer IMO... and yes the Biathlon is a crazy fun event.

So I think what might have me back glued to the TV would be the Winter Olympics with Beijing hosting in 2022, if politics become a big issue over it I am out.

If you are in reasonable shape, then you should go for it after COVID19 winds down. I restarted judo as an adult. You need to
lower your expectations since you body is not a pliable as in your youth. The first two weeks are tough. You will hurt all over
but if your ukemi (breakfalls) are done properly, your body will adapt.

Yes, commenting on your favorite sport live for an audience was an amazing experience. I was even able to meet some of my judo heroes and commentate with them. I finished my judo broadcasting with a stint at the Rio Olympics. To see athletes that you have interviewed and gotten to know realize their Olympic dreams was unbelievable.

At the Kodokan, I train whereever my randori partner takes me. I also compete in kata and received my coaching certification a year before COVID19. Despite no longer being with the IJF, I keep active in judo circles in Japan. The recent passing of Koga Toshihiko was particularly poignant as I had a chance to talk with him at a coaching seminar two years ago.
My first sojourn back into judo after a ten year hiatus was pretty hilarious. My mind thought I could still do everything, but my body proved otherwise. Ten minutes into the warmup exercises had me sucking wind on the sidelines for the rest of the class! 😆

Fortunately, as I started attending with regularity, I started to get back into shape and was soon able to participate in a full class. 🙂

Were I to go back now, I'd have to start doing some cardio a month or so in advance, just so I could do the warmups! 😁

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The only sports better than the NHL are roller derby and professional wrestling.
1621368301004.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Whatever it is... I just can't get excited over it any more. The thing is though... I don't feel like there's something missing in my life. No big void.

Am I alone here?

Nope ;)

I've noticed a strikingly similar pattern in my sports consumption habits.

My first sojourn back into judo after a ten year hiatus was pretty hilarious. My mind thought I could still do everything, but my body proved otherwise. Ten minutes into the warmup exercises had me sucking wind on the sidelines for the rest of the class! 😆

Fortunately, as I started attending with regularity, I started to get back into shape and was soon able to participate in a full class. 🙂

Were I to go back now, I'd have to start doing some cardio a month or so in advance, just so I could do the warmups! 😁
I would recommend interval training or maybe HIIT top get in shape for judo.
It is more like boxing with short intervals of intense activity. Sorry for hijacking the thread...

You are not alone, I hate sports in general.

And not only do I dislike observing sports, I genuinely loathe participating.

One time my previous company gave us a golf outing for finishing off this crazy project and let us go at noon. I was like “cool, I’ll go do this thing and then be home by 2-3”

We did 9 holes and I was like thank god this over, Oh no, there are 9 more holesDOH! I was bored and was stuck with this alpha kiss** type who thought he was tiger woods.

What I said to the lone nice guy in the group has gone down in history (in his eyes of course) was my quip around halfway through the second 9 hole hell:

If I would’ve known golf was going to be this much work I would’ve stayed at the office

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I am a big fan of Winter Olympics. 100x better than Summer IMO... and yes the Biathlon is a crazy fun event.

So I think what might have me back glued to the TV would be the Winter Olympics with Beijing hosting in 2022, if politics become a big issue over it I am out.
I get the Olympic Channel so most of the World Cup alpine, XC, and biathlon events are either live or delayed an hour or three. You can also watch most alpine races live online with the common FIS feed but it has no audio.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I watched about 7 college softball games on TV this weekend. I also caught 2 Bruins playoff games and one game in the Montreal-Toronto series this past week. Ordinarily I'd have watched as many Stanley Cup playoff games as I could find, checking in with the Reds during commercial breaks and between periods. But my interest is way off. College softball is a helluva game, however.

Top Bottom