What's new

Why is fighting allowed in hockey in the NHL?

If you are in Arizona/Phoenix. The Winnipeg Jets (my local team), got moved to Phoenix years ago when they folded.

We have since gained a new NHL team, under the same name (which is unusual for teams when the city gets a second chance years later).

Our Hockey Team is Coyotes, they are aweful.

Most of time the team draws people to watch old home team, not CC oyites.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Very little fighting now compared to the 70‘s-90’s.

This season about a dozen players had over 100 penalty minutes and the leader had 150 minutes. Not even 2min a game.

In the 70’s-90’s, there were almost 100 players with over 300PIM/season and Dave Shultz had almost 500 one season in the 70’s.

Unless a team is getting blown out, fighting is basically nonexistent nowadays.

This ∆

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Very little fighting now compared to the 70‘s-90’s.

This season about a dozen players had over 100 penalty minutes and the leader had 150 minutes. Not even 2min a game.

In the 70’s-90’s, there were almost 100 players with over 300PIM/season and Dave Shultz had almost 500 one season in the 70’s.

Unless a team is getting blown out, fighting is basically nonexistent nowadays.
SharpieB:
1-jpg.899177
...fighting way down and for better or worse: gone are the days of the 'goons' and then later...'enforcers'. 🏒

proxy.php
"[It has been suggested that]...fighting in hockey is one of the most magnificent and eloquent displays of refinement in all of sports". Brian D'Ambrosio

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The influx of players from Europe and from US college hockey have resulted in far fewer fights. In international and college hockey the consequences of fighting are much more severe than in the NHL, so players coming from those systems have learned self control. Money also plays a role. In the old days the NHL was a part time job. Players all had summer jobs. Now, each player is a corporate hockey franchise unto himself. There's a gentleman's agreement of sorts that recognises that you don't want to knock another guy out of commission, because millions are at stake. Finally, the speed of today's game leaves no room for the traditional goon. There isn't even any room on the 4th line for a guy who can't skate. Guys like Gordie Howe, who was a great skater, scorer, and fighter were always rare. Most teams had a guy whose primary job was neither to skate nor to score. His job was to protect those who could skate and score.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Another thing is that these guys don't see each other enough for long term resentment to simmer and boil over. When there were 6 teams you saw every other team every couple of weeks. I remember we watched Bobby Orr and Toronto's Pat Quinn's hate for each other grow for weeks after Quinn elbowed Orr. And man, when it finally boiled over...

The influx of players from Europe and from US college hockey have resulted in far fewer fights. In international and college hockey the consequences of fighting are much more severe than in the NHL, so players coming from those systems have learned self control. Money also plays a role. In the old days the NHL was a part time job. Players all had summer jobs. Now, each player is a corporate hockey franchise unto himself. There's a gentleman's agreement of sorts that recognises that you don't want to knock another guy out of commission, because millions are at stake. Finally, the speed of today's game leaves no room for the traditional goon. There isn't even any room on the 4th line for a guy who can't skate. Guys like Gordie Howe, who was a great skater, scorer, and fighter were always rare. Most teams had a guy whose primary job was neither to skate nor to score. His job was to protect those who could skate and score.
I wonder if there would be a fight if the red puck was used rather than the black puck?

1681924630975.png

I'm sure a lot of it is also due to research on the impacts that concussions have on long term brain health. But yeah - no room on the bench for a guy who can't skate/score anymore.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Perfect summation my friend. Detroit had some wunnerful fighters back in the day. My Dad saw Gordie get stitched up and was back on the ice right afterwards.

Dad was a southpaw, and a scrapper in his wilder days. When he and I watched boxing together he always said two millionaires sure ain't gonna hurt each other too much. I never did watch Tyson fights with my Dad. He would have had a thing or two to say undoubtedly. He did love Thomas Hearns tho. Pound for pound he was a hard hitter AND a fluid boxer. Usually a very intelligent boxer. Man, I miss my Dad!

Legion

Staff member
Australian rules football used to be synonymous with fights and sledging (you'd call it chirping). Then they had to get all "professional", and fined everyone for basically making it more entertaining to watch.

Don't ever let that happen with hockey.

Top Bottom