What's new

Canadian Football League 2021

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm probably one of the few Americans who would choose to watch a CFL game over most NFL games. I like the speed of play, the more wide open field, and the way the ball is flung around. I like the 3 down rule as well.

I missed it last year, as many did. Usually I enjoy watching a CFL doubleheader on a hot July or August night- but this year they'll be going up against the NFL directly. The CFL has been carried on espn in the US for some years. In July they were the only football around. I worry that if they're up against the NFL and against NCAA college football they might get squeezed off the airwaves here in the States.

Today was the CFL draft. The overall #1 pick was a tight end who graduated from Boston College in 2019 and was essentially out of football having spent a few weeks on the Patriots practice squad. In 4 years at BC he caught fewer than 20 passes total. I follow BC as closely as anyone anywhere, and I had to look this guy up. I knew I had heard his name, and that he was a tight end, but I remembered absolutely nothing about his ability to play... because he didn't really play much.

And that is the Number One pick in the CFL draft.

I love the CFL!

We got hooked after watching Corner Gas and them talking about the Roughriders so we started watching on ESPN+ during the 2019 season.

Even with them taking 2020 off I've watched way more CFL games since then than NFL.

I was/am a Patriots fan but the constant cheating scandals, Mr. Kraft being a sleazeball and using his wealth to get off from the consequences of it, and Brady leaving all have decreased my interest. Tom's last season in NE I watched maybe 1 full game and a couple of highlights. Last year I watched like 3 snaps of the Super Bowl and that was it.

But yes, I love the CFL and it's unique flavor.

It just seems more action packed - only have 3 downs is a MAJOR key as is the ability for so much player movement before the snap.

Plus, while these guys are still being paid to play a game, they aren't uber wealthy guys either. I remember reading stories of Cody Fajardo running into fans at the grocery store in Regina.

Can't wait to get to Canada and watch the games there and still holding out hope that the Atlantic Schooners will some day come to fruition. One, it'll give me a team in the East to follow and two, it will mean I might get to see the Riders in person!

Yeah - the CFL draft is also interesting and far different from the NFL.

Owen Bawn

The CFL had clubs in the USA for a few years. In fact, the Baltimore team lost the Grey Cup final in 94, but won it in 95. When the Browns moved to Baltimore the CFL club relocated to Montreal and became the 681st incarnation of the Alouettes. The CFL almost folded in the 1990s.

I am a Toronto Argo bandwagon jumper. If they are in the playoffs, I watch. If they suck, I’m not interested. I have been to many more Bills games than Argo games.

I do watch the Grey Cup every year though. Almost always a great football game.

I just hope they don't do anything stupid with these talks with the XFL. I get they need a more sustainable model of business as the league has faced financial crisis as have many teams over the years.

But I'm not sure how collaborating with a twice failed foreign league that was gimmicky at best will help - even if the XFL has different leadership.

Gotta keep what makes the CFL unique at least!

Green and Gold all the way.
Old-logo.gif

Owen Bawn

I am a Toronto Argo bandwagon jumper. If they are in the playoffs, I watch. If they suck, I’m not interested. I have been to many more Bills games than Argo games.

I do watch the Grey Cup every year though. Almost always a great football game.
Guys like you are the problem... you turn up for the Grey Cup and that's all. You're probably going to get the Bills in Toronto eventually. Almost happened 2 years ago.

They have dropped "Eskimos" from their name. I wonder what they will call themselves? The 'Exeskimos' or 'Exkimos?'

I was hoping for Empire but that's already been dropped as they don't want to go through this again in a few years.

The short list is:

• Elk
  • Evergreens
  • Evergolds
  • Eclipse
  • Elkhounds
  • Eagles
  • Elements
I think out of those I'm leaning towards Elk or Eagles.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu

Owen Bawn

I was hoping for Empire but that's already been dropped as they don't want to go through this again in a few years.

The short list is:

• Elk
  • Evergreens
  • Evergolds
  • Eclipse
  • Elkhounds
  • Eagles
  • Elements
I think out of those I'm leaning towards Elk or Eagles.
Alberta certainly has its share of elk roaming about, I'll give you that.

Like Red Sox fans who chant "Yankees suck!" while they're playing Detroit.

The Drunk Toronto guy Aaarrrgggooooossss is much further reaching...

I have witnessed and/or participated in this tomfoolery at a Montreal Canadians home game (not against the Leafs), Cleveland Browns game at Municipal Stadium (yes, this idiocy has some staying power) and multiple Bills games. Annoying? Yes. Funny? Maybe for the drunk Toronto guy.

Top Bottom