What's new

So... a confession of sorts.

I don't mind watching team sports if someone I know is playing on the team, otherwise I've just never had much interest in spectating. I prefer to participate in outdoor activities in small groups or just by myself. Maybe I'll get more into swimming when the pandemic finally resolves.

I’ve never been a fan of watching or following sports. Playing is fun enough but watching someone else play bores me to tears. What’s the point? The only real reason I can see for professional sports is to have something to bet on. I’m not much of a gambler either...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve never been a fan of watching or following sports. Playing is fun enough but watching someone else play bores me to tears. What’s the point? The only real reason I can see for professional sports is to have something to bet on. I’m not much of a gambler either...
I used to, USED to enjoy the Dee-Troit Tigers games, but like the Lions, the thing they do best is squander good talent.

How do you lose ANY game that Barry Sanders is playing in?

How do you not win the World Series with a Triple Crown winner for the first time since Yaz won it?

So I'm done, especially with professional sports. Unless it's in person and I don't have to drive.

I think I'd rather watch golf on TV though, than put up with punks in the stadiums. Though I have to admit, The Great Lakes Loons have a beautiful, clean, easy in and out parking if you are in the area and enjoy Minor League Baseball. And since they aren't a part of the Atlanta farm system it's okay to root for them! Plus..... I'm like 99% sure they serve Pepsi products instead of Coke.

Last edited:
I grew up a big NY Giants and NY Rangers fan. I wasn't into baseball until I was in my thirties and started
going to Yankees games. Living in Japan the past fifteen years, I have not really watched much American
professional sports. I try to watch the Superbowl but that is the extent of it. I do occasionally watch sumo
here and I catch the highlights of Japanese baseball on the evening news. When I visit the USA, I try to go
to a Yankees game. NFL tickets are too damn expensive. I still love sports but I prefer to play rather than
watch.
Are you able to catch any judo tournaments or competitions at all? If you understand the rules, that is a fun sport to watch. It's even more fun to participate in judo.

Part of the joy in watching sports for me is watching people do things at the highest levels. I used to play a lot of basketball as a kid, I watched the Lakers play and was able to learn how to play basketball better. That also made me appreciate how talented the pros really were.

Yeah I haven't watched much sports this year nor have I attended any either. One of the " local" NFL football teams cheerleader captains is a longtime friend and she invites me to some of her teams games ( FREE TICKETS) and she has me call her when we get there so we can hang out which honestly is more fun than the games sometimes....

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don’t watch much in terms of sports these days. I used to watch most sports on tv in the past. In the before times I’d go to one nhl game a year. Maybe one mlb.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There has been more football (soccer) than usual on free to air TV in the UK during the pandemic. The matches have reinforced my opinion that the standard is poor and the entertainment value low. Colleagues who once had expensive season tickets and TV subscriptions have said they will not return to sport in the same way and have begun to follow local level sports instead. For me, following sports such as the Premiership Football in the UK is a waste of time and money which only serves to bankroll millionaire owners and players who do not give a damn about their club, and who have nothing but contempt for their fans who mistakenly think that they are something more than merely customers.

Part of the joy in watching sports for me is watching people do things at the highest levels. I used to play a lot of basketball as a kid, I watched the Lakers play and was able to learn how to play basketball better. That also made me appreciate how talented the pros really were.
That’s a good point. Since taking up golf I find myself watching a little when it’s on TV. The level of skill the pros have is amazing. If you play yourself, you can really appreciate it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't watched a baseball game this year.
I watched maybe 3 March Madness games. Missed the finals.
No NBA.
Very little MLB.
Skipped the Masters.
No ATP or WTA matches.
Probably not going to watch much Olympics.... if at all.
Never really got into MMA or racing in a big way.
Did watch some NFL, NCAA Football, and NCAA Hockey but not like previous years.
Did not install ESPN, MLB, or NHL apps when I got a new phone a week ago.
Not sure when the next sporting event I will attend in person will be... maybe US Open Tennis... maybe Big 10 Football.

Maybe it was because of all the politics that invaded sports but I don't think that was the only reason... Whatever it is... I just can't get excited over it any more. The thing is though... I don't feel like there's something missing in my life. No big void.

Am I alone here?
True, I have lost interest as well. Haven’t watched a thing. Politics?... maybe. Arrogance?...maybe. Bloated pay checks and still complaints? Yes. Do they have a horseshoe throwing channel?

My kids were all in marching band in high school, so I've seen plenty of Friday night Ohio high school football games. Some of these schools draw 10-15 thousand people. Nothing like that in New England. Kids play in front of their mothers and girlfriends except for Thanksgiving morning, when all the rivalry games are played. There are probably nearly a quarter million people at high school football games in New England on Thanksgiving morning. But the rest of the season no one pays attention.

Having grown up in New England, I can attest to the truthfulness of this statement. No one showed up, no one cared (except for Thanksgiving). Heck, no one even really cares about college football, except when Harvard plays Yale, or the rare year BC is good. I now live in the South and high school football here is on a whole other level.

Back to the topic on hand...I've watched fewer and fewer sports as I got older. I just realized I'd rather spend my time actually doing something than staring at the TV watching other people do something. I do watch the local NFL team (Go Jags!) and keep track of my beloved Dolphins, but that's about it. Come winter I try to attend a few of the games of our ECHL team (Jacksonville Icemen, primarily associated with Winnipeg).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wish there was more quidditch on the television.
I was actually wondering about the possibility of some variation of that game being played in actuality, and when exactly.

I know the sissies amongst us human beans, that hate for ANYONE to have fun, would throw a hissy fit if anyone actually did come up with a viable version of it....

Why is it that so MANY folks are ONLY happy if they are making someone else miserable?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I was actually wondering about the possibility of some variation of that game being played in actuality, and when exactly.

I know the sissies amongst us human beans, that hate for ANYONE to have fun, would throw a hissy fit if anyone actually did come up with a viable version of it....

Why is it that so MANY folks are ONLY happy if they are making someone else miserable?
They're way ahead of you.

Are you able to catch any judo tournaments or competitions at all? If you understand the rules, that is a fun sport to watch. It's even more fun to participate in judo.
Are you a judoka? Do you follow the IJF tour? Well, actually I was one of the IJF live commentators for about five years.
I had been training at the Kodokan until COVID19 hit. Looking forward to getting back to the dojo this autumn...

Top Bottom