What's new

So... a confession of sorts.

I haven't watched a baseball game this year.
I watched maybe 3 March Madness games. Missed the finals.
No NBA.
Very little MLB.
Skipped the Masters.
No ATP or WTA matches.
Probably not going to watch much Olympics.... if at all.
Never really got into MMA or racing in a big way.
Did watch some NFL, NCAA Football, and NCAA Hockey but not like previous years.
Did not install ESPN, MLB, or NHL apps when I got a new phone a week ago.
Not sure when the next sporting event I will attend in person will be... maybe US Open Tennis... maybe Big 10 Football.

Maybe it was because of all the politics that invaded sports but I don't think that was the only reason... Whatever it is... I just can't get excited over it any more. The thing is though... I don't feel like there's something missing in my life. No big void.

Am I alone here?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
You are not alone.
Games on TV: I would prefer to watch the last 1/4 of each. Football and Basketball are entertainment. But they won’t let me see a basketball game, because they aren’t on the TV. I may try to watch Golf on the TV.
I don’t feel like typing any more.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used to watch at least 150 ball games a year on TV. I think I've seen 3 innings this spring. I watched the NCAA hockey tournament, but no NHL this winter. I've never been a basketball fan. I watch all of the World Cup alpine and cross country skiing I can find as well as the biathlon. I love seeing beautiful Norwegian women breathing hard while they shoot rifles. I also watched a lot of softball this spring, and look forward to the NCAA tournament starting in a week. Can't wait for the Tour de France.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Haven’t watched an NHL game this season. Was a fairly frequent watcher in the past and current with happenings within the league. Couldn’t say what’s even happening right now other than my team is out of the playoffs. Just not on my radar and I’m ok with that. Not really missing it either. I did however quite enjoy last NFL season, so all is not lost.

Owen Bawn

Haven’t watched an NHL game this season. Was a fairly frequent watcher in the past and current with happenings within the league. Couldn’t say what’s even happening right now other than my team is out of the playoffs. Just not on my radar and I’m ok with that. Not really missing it either. I did however quite enjoy last NFL season, so all is not lost.
I'm looking forward to the CFL season. Nothing like a football doubleheader on a hot summer night.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Funny you brought this up @eelhc , as I was musing this just the other day.

Kollege Football was ALWAYS my thing, especially Michigan State.

I have lost all interest. Caught most of the last half of the Super Bowl. Really enjoyed it, but that was LITERALLY all the football I saw last season.

I'll be interested to see how Matthew Stafford does with the Rams, but I won't be looking for him; if he shows up on a TV in a restaurant I'll watch.

I personally hope that "Sports" have died along with the Bat Flu I caught in late February/early March. My time is better spent reading, and I hope everyone else will also feel the same way. Our culture deserves better.

Owen Bawn

Funny you brought this up @eelhc , as I was musing this just the other day.

Kollege Football was ALWAYS my thing, especially Michigan State.

I have lost all interest. Caught most of the last half of the Super Bowl. Really enjoyed it, but that was LITERALLY all the football I saw last season.

I'll be interested to see how Matthew Stafford does with the Rams, but I won't be looking for him; if he shows up on a TV in a restaurant I'll watch.

I personally hope that "Sports" have died along with the Bat Flu I caught in late February/early March. My time is better spent reading, and I hope everyone else will also feel the same way. Our culture deserves better.
Who has the best chili cheese coneys in Detroit?

Owen Bawn

I honestly have no idea! But I know the dog has to be a Koegel's Vienna from Flint, WITH the skin!
When the Frozen Four college hockey championship was in Detroit in 2010 (won by Boston College) I ate virtually nothing but chili cheese coneys for 3 days (there were obviously no women on the trip). I tried Red Hots Coney Island, American, Lafayette, and Duly's. A cab driver offered to drive us to Flint to eat at a place called Angelo's, and he also said we should go to some place in Jackson, an hour away from Detroit. I wasn't drinking on this trip, so I was the "designated clear headed thinker." I thanked the cabbie for the offer but turned him down.

Did I mention BC won the national championship? At Ford Field?

I grew up a big NY Giants and NY Rangers fan. I wasn't into baseball until I was in my thirties and started
going to Yankees games. Living in Japan the past fifteen years, I have not really watched much American
professional sports. I try to watch the Superbowl but that is the extent of it. I do occasionally watch sumo
here and I catch the highlights of Japanese baseball on the evening news. When I visit the USA, I try to go
to a Yankees game. NFL tickets are too damn expensive. I still love sports but I prefer to play rather than
watch.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

I grew up a big NY Giants and NY Rangers fan. I wasn't into baseball until I was in my forties and started
going to Yankees games. Living in Japan the past fifteen years, I have not really watched much American
professional sports. I try to watch the Superbowl but that is the extent of it. I do occasionally watch sumo
here and I catch the highlights of Japanese baseball on the evening news. When I visit the USA, I try to go
to a Yankees game. NFL tickets are too damn expensive. I still love sports but I prefer to play rather than
watch.
How about Japanese baseball? A guy I know played for Nippon Ham Fighters in the mid 1990s.
EDIT- At first glance I didn't see you mentioned Japanese baseball- sorry.

FarmerTan

Angelo's had little satellite spots all over Flint at one point also. They made some delicious Coney's!

I think I took a picture of their original restaurant when it closed. I'll have to search my phone.

When I werked at "Radio Shack" back in the day Angelo's had a place in our food court at the Genesee Valley Mall. Lol, I ate there EVERYDAY!!!

I also was a Bantam Weight Class, so it didn't add up any!

Owen Bawn

Angelo's had little satellite spots all over Flint at one point also. They made some delicious Coney's!

I think I took a picture of their original restaurant when it closed. I'll have to search my phone.

When I werked at "Radio Shack" back in the day Angelo's had a place in our food court at the Genesee Valley Mall. Lol, I ate there EVERYDAY!!!

I also was a Bantam Weight Class, so it didn't add up any!
I buy a lot of Winters' hot dogs- they're made in East Pointe. You got everything in Michigan, man.

FarmerTan

I buy a lot of Winters' hot dogs- they're made in East Pointe. You got everything in Michigan, man.
LOL!

And BEER! My son is a salesman for a local beer distributor. So he can buy the scratch and dent and expired beer cans for 25¢..... So he is always having me try all these artsy fartsy beers, and Michigan is like a freekin' mecca for these mini brewery places.

I've tasted some real interesting beer. I can literally only handle one beer nowadays. One. So I'm like a professional wine taster now: I do a lot of swirls and spits! And dump down the drain.

Warning to all of you new to this: artsy fartsy beers can get you light headed on only one! You wouldn't believe the alcohol content!

Owen Bawn

Now that the thread's been hijacked... I usually would have attended 1 or 2 Reds games by now, and I would have been to at least a couple of softball and baseball games at my local college, but I haven't been to any, and have no plans to do so. If I was driving past the local high school field and I saw they were playing I'd usually pull in and catch an inning or 2 if I had a little time, but it's now over two years since I've done that. I wonder to what extent the experience of the past year will affect my attendance at sporting events long term. Right now I'd say it will.

How about Japanese baseball? A guy I know played for Nippon Ham Fighters in the mid 1990s.
EDIT- At first glance I didn't see you mentioned Japanese baseball- sorry.
No problem. I have been to a Japanese baseball game or two. The atmosphere is the attraction.
Draft beer is served by cute girls with beer balls strapped to their backs. The Japanese pro teams
have cheerleaders. Every side has a designated stand area where spectators sing and cheer like in
European soccer games and many have small brass bands to accompany.

DSC_18701.jpg

FarmerTan

Now that the thread's been hijacked... I usually would have attended 1 or 2 Reds games by now, and I would have been to at least a couple of softball and baseball games at my local college, but I haven't been to any, and have no plans to do so. If I was driving past the local high school field and I saw they were playing I'd usually pull in and catch an inning or 2 if I had a little time, but it's now over two years since I've done that. I wonder to what extent the experience of the past year will affect my attendance at sporting events long term. Right now I'd say it will.
I'm actually going to make an effort to attend hi Skool sports this Fall, if our Highness her Royal Guvnaship will allow it.

FarmerTan

I'm moving to Japan.

My wife says I never listen anyway, I might as well move to a place that I don't speak the language. I speak American and that ain't never helped me here!

Owen Bawn

I'm actually going to make an effort to attend hi Skool sports this Fall, if our Highness her Royal Guvnaship will allow it.
My kids were all in marching band in high school, so I've seen plenty of Friday night Ohio high school football games. Some of these schools draw 10-15 thousand people. Nothing like that in New England. Kids play in front of their mothers and girlfriends except for Thanksgiving morning, when all the rivalry games are played. There are probably nearly a quarter million people at high school football games in New England on Thanksgiving morning. But the rest of the season no one pays attention.

Top Bottom