What's new

Snuff Of The Day (SOTD)

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think I bought this tin a year ago when I stopped at Boswell's. I just found it in a envelop of random pipe tobacco I had taken on vacation. If there is any Vanilla in here it, it is hidden behind the menthol.
proxy.php

Opened McChrystal Violet this morning. And I'm so glad I did! I am really digging the floral almost perfume like scent! I know where I got this, and next time I'm there, I'm getting more!

So I had a couple questions about grind. So far I've had Silver Dollar and McChrystal. Those are powders. In taking it, they're very messy. Would a coarser grain stay more in the tin and my nose? Or not really enough to make a difference? Thanks!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Opened McChrystal Violet this morning. And I'm so glad I did! I am really digging the floral almost perfume like scent! I know where I got this, and next time I'm there, I'm getting more!

So I had a couple questions about grind. So far I've had Silver Dollar and McChrystal. Those are powders. In taking it, they're very messy. Would a coarser grain stay more in the tin and my nose? Or not really enough to make a difference? Thanks!
Coarser grind snuffs tend to have a more prolonged nic release versus the snap delivery of finer snuffs. I'm not sure I understand the question on if it would stay more in the tin or your nose? Coarser grinds tend to require more moisture which makes them a bit heavier so I guess?

Most of the snuffs I consider all day snuffs are coarser grinds (Bernard's in particular is a current favorite brand) however I often reach for finely ground stuff as well. Currently enjoying alternating between F&T HDT (I haven't found a coarse ground toast and don't think such a thing exists) and a mix of WoS Royal George and WoS SP 100 (both pretty finely ground compared to Bernard's).

I would say you just need to find some coarser grinds to try them out and see for yourself.

As a side note, Ken Byron Ventures offers some McChrystal's tins at a decent price with free shipping...I sent them a note and suggested picking up a wider selection of snuff.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The Viking snuffs and WoS Santo Domingo are fairly coarse (medium) grind. I haven't tried any but Taxi looks like a REALLY coarse grind.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

If it's not stopping in your nose, drink more fluids. You could also try a pinch of a coarser snuff first, as I find they get my juices flowing more, making it easier for the finer snuffs to stick. Having a big tache like me, a pinch gives you more control, so you're not "dusting" it off your hand. :lol1:

As to stopping in the tin, that's just practice and technique. Drop the tin on a flat surface a couple of times to level off the contents before opening it. Also, having a day box helps, and just dispensing a bit into it as needed. That gives a bit more room in the box for your fingers, and causes less spillage. You can do the daily dispensing over a clean sheet of paper, and recover any that escapes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Viking snuffs and WoS Santo Domingo are fairly coarse (medium) grind. I haven't tried any but Taxi looks like a REALLY coarse grind.

I tried one of the South African snuffs, NTSU blue I think, and it seemed more like a product for the lip rather than the hooter. Occasionally, a "plug" of it would fall out. I never bought it again.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The floral edge will fade. It mellows out to a nutty, biscuity (cookie to you) highly yummy snuff. Undoubtedly my No.1 snuff.
I have it open on my table. Not giving up on it. It is pleasant enough to keep at it. Have you tried McCrystal’s Fine Keg yet? It is a hops flavor in the same vein. Interesting but I’ve not made up my mind on it yet. Better than Wee Dram though. Just have the little sample tins of those two.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have it open on my table. Not giving up on it. It is pleasant enough to keep at it. Have you tried McCrystal’s Fine Keg yet? It is a hops flavor in the same vein. Interesting but I’ve not made up my mind on it yet. Better than Wee Dram though. Just have the little sample tins of those two.

No, I had (have?) a mini/minor tin of the Mild Lemon, but that's all from McChrystals. Their grind is a little too fine for my tastes. I do like the Mild Lemon (Sicillian Burst), but have to take a good pinch of plain coarse snuff first to act as a catchers mitt.

It was going to be Silver Dollar Cola today. That was until I found a wet patch of floor and came down on that side. The tin got smashed against my pocket knife. Now I have most of a tin of SD Cola powder in my pocket.

Top Bottom