What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
This morning’s shave
2013-R41 Mühle with Maggards MR3 handle
Gillette Platinum Blue (1)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, proto-lather
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower
Stirling Unscented Menthol with Witch Hazel & Aloe

Three neutral passes (WTG/XTG/ATG) and a wee bit of cleanup. Weepers at base of neck and random alum stings. Took 46 freaking minutes. Back to night time shaving.

This morning’s shave
2013-R41 Mühle with Maggards MR3 handle
Gillette Platinum Blue (1)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, proto-lather
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower

Three neutral passes (WTG/XTG/ATG) and a wee bit of cleanup. Weepers at base of neck and random alum stings. Took 46 freaking minutes. Back to night time shaving.
The few I had. Morning shaves never worked for me neither.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Three neutral passes (WTG/XTG/ATG) and a wee bit of cleanup. Weepers at base of neck and random alum stings. Took 46 freaking minutes.

Thats why I dont use my R41. It is capable of a very good shave but I have to shave so slowly its too frustrating. It takes me 15-20 minutes to shave with mine, with a fresh Feather blade. That doesnt sound that long but when you're use to shaving in less than 5 minutes, its a long time. 46 minutes I couldnt bear.

It amazes me that I can shave with my Grande and a fresh Feather, the same three full passes and a cleanup, in less than 5 minutes in completely confidence and security yet the R41 is so very different and insecure. One thing you might try is a shim between the cap and blade. I've thought about trying that myself but I just cant be bothered.

thombrogan

I’m just slow. And not about to get into the shimming game for the same reason. The post-shave smoothness is a siren call, but Canadian stainless and Italian and American brass all sing it louder, clearer, and warmer than Teutonic zamac.

thombrogan

Tonight’s Shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (1)
Prep: Hot water splash, proto-lather, failed bowl-lather
Post-shave: Alum, styptic, hot shower, hydrocortisone

That’s it. I’m going back to being a duck next shave and getting those whiskers soaked to insanity before lathering up. If I need to hop back in to wash soap out of my ears or scalp, so be it!

Tonight’s shave felt like it was going well. Barely riding the cap, barely feeling the blade, the only skin stretching was from pointing my chin to various upward angles. Was practically finished and checking for places to touch up when I noticed weepers everywhere.

Oh come on, man!

As I rinsed off to apply the alum, my skin felt nourished - how the hide of a kobē or wa-gyu steer must feel on the morn of its slaughter: simply luxurious. So the alum told me I did the least prep on the type of shave that demands it (ATG single pass), but two weepers wept on. The styptic pencil is new to me. Might’ve helped. Dunno. Next, hydrocortisone instead of some fun, cooling concoction. Very close shave, but can do better.

Quack to being a duck. Canardly wait.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Tonight’s Shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (1)
Prep: Hot water splash, proto-lather, failed bowl-lather
Post-shave: Alum, styptic, hot shower, hydrocortisone

That’s it. I’m going back to being a duck next shave and getting those whiskers soaked to insanity before lathering up. If I need to hop back in to wash soap out of my ears or scalp, so be it!

Tonight’s shave felt like it was going well. Barely riding the cap, barely feeling the blade, the only skin stretching was from pointing my chin to various upward angles. Was practically finished and checking for places to touch up when I noticed weepers everywhere.

Oh come on, man!

As I rinsed off to apply the alum, my skin felt nourished - how the hide of a kobē or wa-gyu steer must feel on the morn of its slaughter: simply luxurious. So the alum told me I did the least prep on the type of shave that demands it (ATG single pass), but two weepers wept on. The styptic pencil is new to me. Might’ve helped. Dunno. Next, hydrocortisone instead of some fun, cooling concoction. Very close shave, but can do better.

Happy shaves, everyone!

one.jpg

Perhaps a cigar, or a drink to calm the nerves before the shave?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Fowl jokes!

I refer to the face chomping Grande as the Face Plane (and of course, that new distorted version as the Wonky Chomp). I know Mike, Rave, and many others like them, but for me, and Doug before me, it was brutal.

However, the only disposable single edge razor shave I had (not counting the Dovo shavette) was a modified Gem blade in a Wilkinson Sword Empire. That was even worse. It was too large too, like a typewriter on a stick. I haven't tried a Gem (or similar) blade in anything since.

thombrogan

Haven’t tried the wonky chomp and my GEM razors are surprisingly tiny. From Mike’s photos, they look gargantuan. Still outwits me handily

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (2)
30mm Maggards Synthetic
Pre: Hot shower, left some soap on whiskers from that, added proto-lather
Post-shave lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave alum block

Showering before shaving didn’t seem to make too much difference compared to a hot water face wash.

Went steep ATG. Less blade support/rigidity this way, but that comb is so comfortable. Much fewer weepers this time. Only noticed two, so there were probably only 3-4.

Towards the end of the shave, I remembered the Fatip comb makes controlling blade exposure a breeze. Something to better exploit next time.

Also, it appears skin stretching has a beneficial effect for both increasing closeness and reducing likelihood of irritation, so that will be back.

The Fatip Grande and the RazoRock Hawk V3OC give me the @Raven Koenes effect — why would I use anything else?

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom