Fatip Grande
Feather (2)
30mm Maggards Synthetic
Pre: Hot shower, left some soap on whiskers from that, added proto-lather
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave alum block
Stirling Unscented Menthol with Witch Hazel & Aloe

Showering before shaving didn’t seem to make too much difference compared to a hot water face wash.

Went steep ATG. Less blade support/rigidity this way, but that comb is so comfortable. Much fewer weepers this time. Only noticed two, so there were probably only 3-4.

Towards the end of the shave, I remembered the Fatip comb makes controlling blade exposure a breeze. Something to better exploit next time.

Also, it appears skin stretching has a beneficial effect for both increasing closeness and reducing likelihood of irritation, so that will be back.

The Fatip Grande and the RazoRock Hawk V3OC give me the @Raven Koenes effect — why would I use anything else?

Happy shaves, everyone!
Lo Storto is my go to DE. The Gold Grande finessed it’s way into being my best razor. Changing everything for me. Didactically accelerating best shave techniques. Lo Storto will soon be available in gold and I’ll get one. The Gold Grande will always be my favourite. My Keystone.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (3)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, loading whiskers thoroughly with shave stick
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave lather: ARKO!
Hot shower
Aftershave: Snake Bite

Two days’ stubble growth, shaving before shower. Skin stretching. Arko.

Wet the synthetic bristles and squeezed and shook them before lathering. Added water as desired. With the razor steep enough to thoroughly enjoy the comb, the blade felt harsh. Shallowed out; increasing blade-to-skin contact and sometimes feeling the cap a little; and barely felt the blade at all.

Due to my slow, plodding nature, some lather would dry before I reached an area. Running the Grande under the faucet made up for it. Reapplied lather for touch ups here and there.

Squeezed large amount of lather out of brush for post-shave pampering while I cleaned off razor. Felt how I imagine a spa treatment must feel. Only with the awesome scent of Arko. Saw a few weepers on neck again. Smushed lather over area and didn’t feel soap sting.

Hopped into the shower and noticed post-shave feel was awesome. After showering, I applied Snake Bite and got a much higher cooling-to-burning ratio than expected/deserved.

Very close, very comfortable, very happy. Now to repeat with even less weepers…

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Very good to know. I’ll spend that $13USD some day…. Until then, a little faucet-born water in a Grande’s comb isn’t the worst privation faced in today’s creepy world.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (4)
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, loading whiskers thoroughly with shave stick
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave lather: ARKO!
Hot shower
Aftershave: Snake Bite
Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm

Down to one weeper. Managed to irritate neck/jawline a little. Managed to move identical patches of whiskers on each side of neck away from razor with my mad skin-stretching skillz.

Snake Bite gave more even burn/ratio indicating I overdid it. Applied balm.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Tonight’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (5)
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, loading whiskers thoroughly with sample puck
Lather: Mama Bear’s Polar
Post-shave lather: Mama Bear’s Polar
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower
Styptic pencil
Hydrocortisone
Hot, damp facecloth

Waited an extra day for my skin to heal. I shouldn’t have rushed. I shouldn’t have tried a new soap while rushing. My Maggards V3A head never assisted my nicking myself this well.

Happy, less oopie shaves than I had, everyone!

thombrogan

This afternoon’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (6)
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, proto-lather rubbed into whiskers
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower

Extra time waited. Thorough prep. Familiar soap. Skin stretching. Best attempt at a hovering, design-shallow angle my idiotic hands could make. The stuff that tame the R41 and make the MMOC cut without curlbacks.

No outright nicks this time… Weepers, sting, and curlbacks, though. Curlbacks particularly vexed me as going too steep was originally believed to be their curve. Then, when they appeared when I pressed the cap of the MMOC into my flesh to shave shallow, I thought excessive pressure was their cause. So why now?

Will see if I can combine steep with a light touch next time for a better result.

Happy shaves, everyone!

So why now?

It might be the blade? Either not right for your hair type or too dull for the job? Logic still tells me the 'curling a ribbon with a knife' explanation is the one that makes most sense. The right blade, sharp enough, should solve the issue assuming lather, hydration etc is adequate.

thombrogan

Logic still tells me the 'curling a ribbon with a knife' explanation is the one that makes most sense.

That was my theory as well, but bitter experience makes me wary of my theories- moreso when I‘m able to concoct reasonable explanations.

The Feather Hi-Stainless is enigmatic as some people can get 1-4 shaves off them and others ditch them at shave 120 out of boredom.

Next shave should tell.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That was my theory as well, but bitter experience makes me wary of my theories- moreso when I‘m able to concoct reasonable explanations.

The Feather Hi-Stainless is enigmatic as some people can get 1-4 shaves off them and others ditch them at shave 120 out of boredom.

Next shave should tell.
When I first started wet shaving last year Feather Hi-Stainless was my go-to blade, even though I could only manage 2 shaves without a nick, and bin the blade. 3 months later with the same basic kit and I was up to 4 shaves. After discovering soaps that provided more cushion along with improved technique, 7 became the norm.

Gillette Platinum's are my go-to blade these shaves, as I find them a bit smoother and longer lasting. But if I want SHARP, I will load up a fresh Feather.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (7)
Pre-shave: hot water face wash leaving some bar soap on whiskers for a bit, hot water splash, proto-lather rubbed into whiskers
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower
Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm on neck

Three passes; WTG/XTG/ATG; all steep, all intended to be light, skin stretching on WTG and XTG.

Slightly irritated part of chin on WTG pass. Uneventful XTG pass. Was done with using hands to stretch skin by ATG pass. Either that, holding handle too loosely, or making long strokes was why I got weepers and irritated my neck and jawline on last pass.

My guess is holding handle too loosely and loading the blade for too long were joint culprits. And I’ll see what next time reveals.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (8)
Pre-shave: hot water face wash with proto-lather rubbed into whiskers as soap
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower

Used pretty much everyone’s advice/techniques on last night’s shave. Held the razor like a writing implement like Mike and Anthony. Made sure to not hold the razor too loosely and let ATG be a lightning rod like Al. Focused on completing the stroke versus fixating on how tightly the razor was held like John. Went steep per Dr. Doug. Face lathered with gusto and searched for smooth like Wes. Started ATG like Clay. Applied lather post-shave while cleaning out razor like Tim.

Only skin stretching used was pointing my chin up to the left or right. Made short strokes to avoid unplanned blade unloading (an eye roll to every time a standard Fatip Grande — or Fatip Piccolo with OC base — is referred to as a “rigid” design!). Just a few, relathered touch-ups short of a single pass.

No weepers. A little irritation as told by alum sting and post-shave/pre-balm feel. No weepers.

I think the short strokes made most of the difference followed by the pen hold for ATG.

Will those changes make the Fatip Grande work at a neutral angle or will it forever remain the “Face Chomper” Al has called it?

Happy shaves, everyone!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather (8)
Pre-shave: hot water face wash with proto-lather rubbed into whiskers as soap
Post-shave alum block
Hot shower

Used pretty much everyone’s advice/techniques on last night’s shave. Held the razor like a writing implement like Mike and Anthony. Made sure to not hold the razor too loosely and let ATG be a lightning rod like Al. Focused on completing the stroke versus fixating on how tightly the razor was held like John. Went steep per Dr. Doug. Face lathered with gusto and searched for smooth like Wes. Started ATG like Clay. Applied lather post-shave while cleaning out razor like Tim.

Only skin stretching used was pointing my chin up to the left or right. Made short strokes to avoid unplanned blade unloading (an eye roll to every time a standard Fatip Grande — or Fatip Piccolo with OC base — is referred to as a “rigid” design!). Just a few, relathered touch-ups short of a single pass.

No weepers. A little irritation as told by alum sting and post-shave/pre-balm feel. No weepers.

I think the short strokes made most of the difference followed by the pen hold for ATG.

Will those changes make the Fatip Grande work at a neutral angle or will it forever remain the “Face Chomper” Al has called it?

Happy shaves, everyone!

I still think you should try a less rigid design. Gillette NEW LC's are easy to come by.

Top Bottom