What's new

Random Thoughts and Wisdom for Newbies

Excellent summary! You've certainly hit the high spots, from technique to philosophy. It has a nice tone: even though it's directive, it's encouraging as well.

A couple of minor thoughts-- somewhere around #3 1/2 you may want to add something about mapping the grain. And, maybe something about keeping a stiff wrist. That really helped me develop smooth, consistent strokes. It helps achieve that "no pressure" and "right angle" thing.

Well done.

I'd like to add something that is VERY important for new wet shavers: Management of change.

Consistency is everything; If you change something in your routine, change only ONE THING at a time. There is nothing more frustrating than chasing that BBS by changing soap and blade and razor, etc. all at the same time. It is much easier to isolate what is (or isn't) working if you change only one thing. Take a moment to analyze if you improved your shave or not. If you think it did, repeat it as much as possible in an effort to create your new baseline.

Trust me. If you follow this advice, your shaves will only continue to get better and better.

Excellent!

Excellent summary! You've certainly hit the high spots, from technique to philosophy. It has a nice tone: even though it's directive, it's encouraging as well.

A couple of minor thoughts-- somewhere around #3 1/2 you may want to add something about mapping the grain. And, maybe something about keeping a stiff wrist. That really helped me develop smooth, consistent strokes. It helps achieve that "no pressure" and "right angle" thing.

Well done.

Good stuff here!

Here' s a screen shot of my shaving journal using the IPad app, Bento, which I sync with my MacBook. The fields are the date, days between shaving, razor, blade, brush, soap, alum, after shave, all with drop down boxes. The last field is a place for Comments.

$photo.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Pure Gold sir! And the idea of the journal is very helpful, will begin this morning. Will check out the Bento iPad app!

You had me up to no 38. If you have to make a database you aren't having enough fun.

I'm a Mac techie... Simply love creating journals on my shaving adventures, databases on my guitar collection. For me, it's lots of fun! :biggrin1: Ask my wife, she'll tell you I'm a fun guy!

A very good question. From what I am able to ascertain, there seems to be several rationale for doing so:

1. It allows the brush to still retain some backbone when lathering.
2. It's better for your brush in the long run by not totally submerging it in hot water and potentially impacting the knot/epoxy in the handle.
3. Capillary action will still bring water up to the top of the bristles.
4. Ultimately, it's not necessary to totally submerge your brush. Believe me, it will still absorb enough water for you.

If you will, please tell me more about how you're prepping your brush currently and how you're creating your lather.

First, know that that I have only been using a brush for about two weeks so I'm still developing my technique.

I leave my brush in a coffee mug, completely submerged in the hottest water I can get from the tap while I shower. I think its a pretty decent brush (the middle grade AOS brush). Then I dump the water from the mug and squeeze the brush lightly. Next I swirl the tips of the brush in my cream and build lather in the mug.

First, know that that I have only been using a brush for about two weeks so I'm still developing my technique.

I leave my brush in a coffee mug, completely submerged in the hottest water I can get from the tap while I shower. I think its a pretty decent brush (the middle grade AOS brush). Then I dump the water from the mug and squeeze the brush lightly. Next I swirl the tips of the brush in my cream and build lather in the mug.

Sounds good. The Aos brushes are very good, I believe they are made by Muhle. How successful are your lathers? I might recommend filling it up to 1/2 way or 2/3 up the bristle. I tend not to use the hottest water. How long do load the brush with soap? Do you ever have to load small amounts of water back to the brush? Have you ever tried face lathering directly from the brush instead of creating your lather in the mug? BTW, if you enjoy creating lathers in a bowl, you might want to try a scuttle down the road. As a matter of fact, B&B member lpe currently has a PIF contest going on for a scuttle.

Sounds good. The Aos brushes are very good, I believe they are made by Muhle. How successful are your lathers? I might recommend filling it up to 1/2 way or 2/3 up the bristle. I tend not to use the hottest water. How long do load the brush with soap? Do you ever have to load small amounts of water back to the brush? Have you ever tried face lathering directly from the brush instead of creating your lather in the mug? BTW, if you enjoy creating lathers in a bowl, you might want to try a scuttle down the road. As a matter of fact, B&B member lpe currently has a PIF contest going on for a scuttle.

My lathers are just ok. I still get some bubbles when I use cream. I try to load the brush for much longer than I feel is necessary, just to make sure I have done enough. Is it possible to whisk your lather too much? I want to experiment with face lathering eventually but I haven't attempted it yet. I just bought my first soap and have only used it once. My lather was very poor so I decided I should get better with a cream before I try again with soap.

Something I have been having a problem with: frequently my lather gets very dry by the time I make it towards the end of my first pass. I tried adding a bit of water and loading again, but then I end up with bubbles... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong to produce this effect.

2a. There are some modern razors (e.g. Feather AS & Pils 101) that require different angles. Listening can be the best way to to determine the optimum angle.

39. A sharp blade is your friend. Many cuts & nicks come from compensating for blades that aren't doing their job properly.

40. There are many adjustable razors on the market from vintage to modern. Technique is everything, start at a low setting and work your way up.

2a. There are some modern razors (e.g. Feather AS & Pils 101) that require different angles. Listening can be the best way to to determine the optimum angle.

39. A sharp blade is your friend. Many cuts & nicks come from compensating for blades that aren't doing their job properly.

40. There are many adjustable razors on the market from vintage to modern. Technique is everything, start at a low setting and work your way up.

Good stuff here!

My lathers are just ok. I still get some bubbles when I use cream. I try to load the brush for much longer than I feel is necessary, just to make sure I have done enough. Is it possible to whisk your lather too much? I want to experiment with face lathering eventually but I haven't attempted it yet. I just bought my first soap and have only used it once. My lather was very poor so I decided I should get better with a cream before I try again with soap.

Something I have been having a problem with: frequently my lather gets very dry by the time I make it towards the end of my first pass. I tried adding a bit of water and loading again, but then I end up with bubbles... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong to produce this effect.

Dry lathers are usually not enough water, bubbly lathers are usually too much water. When I really embraced traditional wet shaving, I watched mantic's you tube videos. I'm more of a visual and tactile learner. I would watch with great interest, the brush being used, the whisking technique, how much water was being used, how long he would load the brush, etc.I also spent time doing test lathers.

With soaps, while my brush would soak, I would put a few drop of water on top of the soap. Take my shower, rinse the excess water out of the brush, then begin loading my lather. Adding bits of water to the brush as I indicated in my posted list. Then, I would face lather.

I did find that certain brushes weren't the greatest. Some lacked flow through, water retention, etc.

Creams I would bowl, and now scuttle lather. T&H, TOBS, Castle Forbes have been excellent creams for me. Yes, you can whisk too long and cause excessive air in the lather.

Next steps, take a look at mantic's and geo fat boy's YouTube videos. Also, post your lather quagmire as a thread: "Lather Triage: Emergency Help Needed" it should yield you good insight and wisdom from the B & B community.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom