What's new

Random Thoughts and Wisdom for Newbies

Excellent advice. Most of this I learned the hard way. Some I didn't know at all.
+1 sticky; I see many people benefiting from this.

This is a great list. However...

I am slightly amazed to find no mention of beard prep at all!

Facial hair is tough on edges. Gillette claims that dry beards are as tough as copper wire of the same diameter. Hydrating the beard makes it much easier to cut. To get water in, you have to strip away the oils that naturally occur. You do this by thoroughly washing the beard with soap and water, at least once and perhaps twice before lathering up.

Soap and cream makers spend a lot of time and effort putting ingredients in their product that allow water to get in the hairs, "softening the beard". If you let your lather sit on the beard for two minutes before you start shaving, you'll maximize this effect.

There are many, many posts here regarding proper prep, and many different theories and methods to achieve it. The above works for me. Some go further with hot towels, special products, different routines. Shaving right after a shower gives much of the same effect, as long as you don't let your beard dry out.

Proper prep will make everything else easier. It increases the effective life of blades. It reduces irritation. It's been advocated by various blade, soap, razor and cream makers for decades, and many shavers still shrug, lather up and immediately have at it, then curse the blade, the lather, the razor, technique or unkind fate for poor results.

Prep the beard.

Last edited:

Facial hair is tough on edges. Gillette claims that dry beards are as tough as copper wire of the same diameter. Hydrating the beard makes it much easier to cut. To get water in, you have to strip away the oils that naturally occur. You do this by thoroughly washing the beard with soap and water, at least once and perhaps twice before lathering up.

Soap and cream makers spend a lot of time and effort putting ingredients in their product that allow water to get in the hairs, "softening the beard". If you let your lather sit on the beard for two minutes before you start shaving, you'll maximize this effect.

There are many, many posts here regarding proper prep, and many different theories and methods to achieve it. The above works for me. Some go further with hot towels, special products, different routines. Shaving right after a shower gives much of the same effect, as long as you don't let your beard dry out.

Proper prep will make everything else easier. It increases the effective life of blades. It reduces irritation. It's been advocated by various blade, soap, razor and cream makers for decades, and many shavers still shrug, lather up and immediately have at it, then curse the blade, the lather, the razor, technique or unkind fate for poor results.

Prep the beard.
:thumbup: True, proper prep makes a world of difference. In addition to showering, I wash my beard with glycerin soap once at the start of the shower, and once right before I step out. I face lather and let the lather sit for a while before I start shaving.

Prep the beard.

Good stuff here!

:thumbup: True, proper prep makes a world of difference. In addition to showering, I wash my beard with glycerin soap once at the start of the shower, and once right before I step out. I face lather and let the lather sit for a while before I start shaving.

Excellent stuff here!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mendel:
I'll contribute to your list...:lol1:

43. Glycerine is great in (only 2-3 drops), the making of Uberlather.

44. Although Clubman can be drying upon the face and body, the addition of about 10 drops of glycerine per 6oz bottle greatly increases the moisturizing and toning aspects and 'kicks' this aftershave-cologne 'up a notch'. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

Last edited:
Mendel:
I'll contribute to your list...:lol1:

43. Glycerine is great in (only 2-3 drops), the making of Uberlather.

44. Although Clubman can be drying upon the face and body, the addition of about 10 drops of glycerine per 6oz bottle greatly increases the moisturizing and toning aspects and 'kicks' this aftershave-cologne 'up a notch'. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"Don't worry about the [cuts, weepersand] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and thestrife". Author Unknown

Nice info here!

A very good question. From what I am able to ascertain, there seems to be several rationale for doing so:

1. It allows the brush to still retain some backbone when lathering.
2. It's better for your brush in the long run by not totally submerging it in hot water and potentially impacting the knot/epoxy in the handle.
3. Capillary action will still bring water up to the top of the bristles.
4. Ultimately, it's not necessary to totally submerge your brush. Believe me, it will still absorb enough water for you.
Tried this today,great tip thankyou.

I'd like to add something that is VERY important for new wet shavers: Management of change.

Consistency is everything; If you change something in your routine, change only ONE THING at a time
. There is nothing more frustrating than chasing that BBS by changing soap and blade and razor, etc. all at the same time. It is much easier to isolate what is (or isn't) working if you change only one thing. Take a moment to analyze if you improved your shave or not. If you think it did, repeat it as much as possible in an effort to create your new baseline.

Trust me. If you follow this advice, your shaves will only continue to get better and better.

2a. There are some modern razors (e.g. Feather AS & Pils 101) that require different angles. Listening can be the best way to to determine the optimum angle.

39. A sharp blade is your friend. Many cuts & nicks come from compensating for blades that aren't doing their job properly.

40. There are many adjustable razors on the market from vintage to modern. Technique is everything, start at a low setting and work your way up.

Good stuff !

Prep the beard.
Learning patience,it's not hard to find other stuff to do for 2 minutes.

Top Bottom