What's new

SlagleRock's Running Straight Razor Shave Thread

Well, today I took the plunge. I've had three straight razor shaves in my life (done by a professional) but today I did it myself for the very first time:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1794033&postcount=451

I was pleasantly surprised. I did a three pass shave, 1x WTG, 1x XTG, and 1x ATG. I was surprised that the ATG may have been the easiest of the three. I was also shocked that I didn't have any issues at all on my neck. I did have some trouble navigating my chin and close to my nose. It was a bit awkward switching hands for certain angles/passes (this is something I do easily with DE/SE) so I know I'll get used to it eventually. Overall, I'd say I got a DFS shave and more importantly not a drop of blood. I got the slightest bit or razor burn in the areas that were easiest to shave (probably went over them too many times because they were so easy) so the AS splash burned a bit more than normal but nothing severe at all. The tallow first Penhaligon's that I used was definitely a great choice.

I'm going to bookmark this thread for my questions and for advice from all of you straight razor gurus out there.

I want to send a big thank you to Paul (richmondesi) for honing up my straight razor and sending me another along with a starter strop. These things should keep me in it long enough to decide if I'll be making the full switch to straight razors or if they will be reserved for weekends/special occasions.

I also want to say thank you to Henry (professorchaos) for all of the advice as well.

I know we have tons of threads on this but if anyone has any additional insight they'd like to add please feel free.

Last edited:
Well, today I took the plunge. I've had three straight razor shaves in my life (done by a professional) but today I did it myself for the very first time:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1794033&postcount=451

I was pleasantly surprised. I did a three pass shave, 1x WTG, 1x XTG, and 1x ATG. I was surprised that the ATG may have been the easiest of the three. I was also shocked that I didn't have any issues at all on my neck. I did have some trouble navigating my chin and close to my nose. It was a bit awkward switching hands for certain angles/passes (this is something I do easily with DE/SE) so I know I'll get used to it eventually. Overall, I'd say I got a DFS shave and more importantly not a drop of blood. I got the slightest bit or razor burn in the areas that were easiest to shave (probably went over them too many times because they were so easy) so the AS splash burned a bit more than normal but nothing severe at all. The tallow first Penhaligon's that I used was definitely a great choice.

I'm going to bookmark this thread for my questions and for advice from all of you straight razor gurus out there.

I want to send a big thank you to Paul (richmondesi) for honing up my straight razor and sending me another along with a starter strop. These things should keep me in it long enough to decide if I'll be making the full switch to straight razors or if they will be reserved for weekends/special occasions.

I also want to say thank you to Henry (professorchaos) for all of the advice as well.

I know we have tons of threads on this but if anyone has any additional insight they'd like to add please feel free.

I heard that a real man woulda used a Japanese straight and left the cut throat for the Air Force "guys." :whistling:

:lol:

Seriously... congrats... I could never get the hang of straight shaving and I remember all too well the literal fear I experience the first time I tried it.

Wow, you did it...congrats! I still shiver in my boots when I think of actually using a straight (as opposed to just talking about it...something I'm not too bad at). :thumbup1:

Wow, you did it...congrats! I still shiver in my boots when I think of actually using a straight (as opposed to just talking about it...something I'm not too bad at). :thumbup1:

Eh, I'm the same guy that has shaved with several different vintage blades and even a King Oscillator Razor. To be honest it wasn't as big a switch as DE was from cartridge. Go for it!

That was an American razor finished with a Japanese stone... it's an excellent combination. The other razor is German razor with a Belgian stone, another excellent combination. Enjoy them, bud

Congrats! Sounds like you "got it," first time.

Advice? In the next SR shaves, stay focused and don't rush. Keep that same mind set you had this time. I think that will be good advice for your 500 and 501 shaves, too. Where have nicked myself unnecessarily with a straight, it has been when I was either rushing or being generally unfocused for one reason or another. As I have said elsewhere, I have probably nicked my ear more often than anything else. No way that was not every time carelessness.

I agree, great kit!

Congrats! Sounds like you "got it," first time.

Advice? In the next SR shaves, stay focused and don't rush. Keep that same mind set you had this time. I think that will be good advice for your 500 and 501 shaves, too. Where have nicked myself unnecessarily with a straight, it has been when I was either rushing or being generally unfocused for one reason or another. As I have said elsewhere, I have probably nicked my ear more often than anything else. No way that was not every time carelessness.

I agree, great kit!

Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom