What's new

SlagleRock's Running Straight Razor Shave Thread

My biggest problem is regulations. I cannot afford to have a bad shave. I must be clean shaven when in uniform. Because of this I'm afraid to straight shave during the week. IF I have a bad shave my face couldn't handle the necessary touch up needed to be presentable in uniform. Don't get me wrong most of my straight shaves have been DFS and a few even BBS. My wife loves my face after a BBS straight shave, but that normally takes more time than I can afford in the morning.

I was, of course, speaking of my own sitauation in an attempt to give you, others in your situation, and all the other lurkers following along some encouragement, in wherever your journies takes you. More along the lines of standing beside you (though I'm sure I'm not your equal here) than trying to give guidance (which I am certain I'm not qualified for).

It seems to me that there are those of us who have no restirctions placed on us, like myself, and still glance at the DE in its former glory every now and then and hear her Siren song with no excuse to heed it, other than recollection of shaves gone by. And there are those in situations similar to yours that have consequences for a less-than-stellar quality of shave and persist in spite of it, though the learning curve is steep and long, straying when you must, but still resolved to continue the path when allowed by circumstance, and I respect you and others in this situation all the more for it. I am certain that if I had to pass a shave-quality examination with associated consequences after my current straight shaves, subjectively judged against someone else's concept of an acceptable end result rather than the personal progress I've made in learning the skill, I might reconsider my daily choices. I'll certainly not judge you for yours. I wish you the best, and thank you for your sacrifices, this struggle included!

- Jason

Last edited:
I was, of course, speaking of my own sitauation in an attempt to give you, others in your situation, and all the other lurkers following along some encouragement, in wherever your journies takes you. More along the lines of standing beside you (though I'm sure I'm not your equal here) than trying to give guidance (which I am certain I'm not qualified for).

It seems to me that there are those of us who have no restirctions placed on us, like myself, and still glance at the DE in its former glory every now and then and hear her Siren song with no excuse to heed it, other than recollection of shaves gone by. And there are those in situations similar to yours that have consequences for a less-than-stellar quality of shave and persist in spite of it, though the learning curve is steep and long, straying when you must, but still resolved to continue the path when allowed by circumstance, and I respect you and others in this situation all the more for it. I am certain that if I had to pass a shave-quality examination with associated consequences after my current straight shaves, subjectively judged against someone else's concept of an acceptable end result rather than the personal progress I've made in learning the skill, I might reconsider my daily choices. I'll certainly not judge you for yours. I wish you the best, and thank you for your sacrifices, this struggle included!

- Jason

Thanks Jason. I really wish I had the time/ability to go straight razors only for a length of time to really gauge how well I like it. I know I enjoy a perfect straight shave (when I have one) but those always take me much longer than I can afford on a regular basis. I'm no pro with straights, I'm still learning! :cool:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Jason. I really wish I had the time/ability to go straight razors only for a length of time to really gauge how well I like it. I know I enjoy a perfect straight shave (when I have one) but those always take me much longer than I can afford on a regular basis. I'm no pro with straights, I'm still learning! :cool:

You got the right attitude mate. Take your time, it will get better, very slowly but it will get there!

Top Bottom