What's new

SlagleRock's Running Straight Razor Shave Thread

Awesome! I can't wait to get my first under my belt!

It took me over 16 months to get around to it (after switching to DE). I'm glad I finally did it though. I'll probably go ahead and do it again tomorrow and then go from there.

good work Rob. I have not missed a straight shave since Luc loaned me a his 6/8 full hollow round tip Sheffield VOST. I am finding that each shave is different. Today was my 9th str8 shave. Always learning.

Awesome!

I think the biggest piece of advice I overlooked when I started straight shaving was that stropping is extremely important. Stropping technique will be a large factor in how much you enjoy this. I was truly blown away at what a difference good stropping technique made with my razors when I was starting out.

That chubby doesn't look used! Was this it's maiden voyage? I look forward to it's post bloom shots! Gorgeous kit, really.

I think the biggest piece of advice I overlooked when I started straight shaving was that stropping is extremely important. Stropping technique will be a large factor in how much you enjoy this. I was truly blown away at what a difference good stropping technique made with my razors when I was starting out.

That chubby doesn't look used! Was this it's maiden voyage? I look forward to it's post bloom shots! Gorgeous kit, really.

Thanks for the advice! No, the Chubby has been used about 10 times or so. It is still relatively new though. That pic is just totally dry.

Congrats on your shave!
I am a bit jealous as I had a much more difficult transition but then I went from an electric to a straight.

Condolences on your new addition, SRAD. Resistance is futile.

Congrats on your shave!
I am a bit jealous as I had a much more difficult transition but then I went from an electric to a straight.

Condolences on your new addition, SRAD. Resistance is futile.

I'm already considering parting with some of my DE's (that I don't use) to acquire other straights. :blushing:

yes, I don't think the importance of stropping can be overstated

I hear a recurring theme here! I've been reading, watching and re-reading for about the last three months, taking in everything I can about straights. That and the fine edge on the razor were what I believe what led to a pleasant first straight shave.

Thanks again, Paul!

Expensive but very rewarding!

Seriously, it sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep using your non-dominant hand. I was very surprised at how quickly I was able to comfortably use my left.

This came very easy to me with DE's so I hope I'll transition easily with straights as well. :thumbup:

So far so good! My face feels great so round two will be tomorrow!

B

bluefoxicy

I have to learn to use my real straight... or rather, hone it. I've gotten decent with the Feather and don't fear trashing the blade on my Astrale anymore.

I never, ever switch hands. I find I can do ATG as my first pass with no problems, and usually do so on my neck.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work Rob! Happy to see that you made the leap!

Life is too short not to live well. And frankly, one of the big bonuses of straight shaving has been the transformation of a chore into an indulgence.

A BIG +1 on that!

That's what straight shaving has been for me. It has turned a chore into something I can really treat my myself with.

Top Bottom