What's new

SlagleRock's Running Straight Razor Shave Thread

Dovo 5/8 | T2 Tulip Two-Band Super | GFT Limes SS | GFT Limes AS
GFT Limes Skin Food (later in the day) | GFT Limes EDT​

Straight shave number two is in the books and it was even better than the first!

proxy.php

Edit: I forgot the brush in the pic! :lol:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Thanks! This shave was much smoother than the first. I don't know if the difference was the method you honed them with or the fact that it was my second shave. Probably a little of both. We'll see again next Saturday when I go back to the Case.

Thanks again!

Now you're gonna have to get all your troops straights, Rob!

Nice brush, too.

:cool:

Heck, they thought I was insane for using DE/SE razors! :lol:

....Heck, they thought I was insane for using DE/SE razors! :lol:

Well, we won't discuss your sanity here, that wouldn't be gentlemanly. :w00t:

But surely some of the troops you gave the great shaving sets to last year have enjoyed it enough to follow your lead into straight shaving.

:cool:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Sounds to me like you are off to a great start. I'd rank a straight razor shave way up on my list of the pleasures in life. Glad you made the plunge and keep practicing.

Glad to hear your straight shaving journey is going smoothly!

I too would also like to say that stropping is insanely important. It took me months to realize that blade longevity doesn't depend on the razor so much as on my stropping technique! Now before every shave I do 50 Linen, 30 Latigo, & 30 Horsehide laps. To some that may be overkill, but my blades last so long now that to me, it's worth it.

Congrats... I guess I underestimate a str8 shave. I learned on a str8 at 15.. Taught by my maternal grandfather... Gave up DE and Str8 when under the sea and water was a issue...(Navy shower and all)...beard time!!!!. Dark times with goo and carts for far to many years. Came back to DE's, SE's, and str8s a few months back.... Reflections are a str8 is one of the most satisfying shaves out there!!!!. A vintage Str8 can be a joy as all mine are sentimental. As all have said stropping can not be overstated

Good luck with your str8 journey

Thanks for all the kinds words gents! This is going to be my normal weekend routine at least until I decide whether or not to commit fully or quite. I suspect it will be the former. :w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for all the kinds words gents! This is going to be my normal weekend routine at least until I decide whether or not to commit fully or quite. I suspect it will be the former. :w00t:

When is shave #3?:thumbup:

The Dovo is freshly honed with using my La Petiti Blanche Coticule, and that is my favorite edge. It is keen and extremely smooth. The Case was honed on my Kiita/Asagi blend, and it's really nice too (just not as nice a finished edge IMHO). However, that Case honing was probably 20 shaves ago versus the freshly honed Dovo with only 1 test shave prior to you getting it. Both passed the HHT when I sent them to you (HHT-3/4), so it's not exactly apples:apples

The Dovo is freshly honed with using my La Petiti Blanche Coticule, and that is my favorite edge. It is keen and extremely smooth. The Case was honed on my Kiita/Asagi blend, and it's really nice too (just not as nice a finished edge IMHO). However, that Case honing was probably 20 shaves ago versus the freshly honed Dovo with only 1 test shave prior to you getting it. Both passed the HHT when I sent them to you (HHT-3/4), so it's not exactly apples:apples

:001_cool: Thanks for the info. I def liked the feel of the Dovo better this last time. We'll see how they compare next go 'round.

Well, gents I had straight shave #3 today:

attachment.php

This was another fine shave. I really appreciate the edge on this little Dovo.

I can only imagine how much nicer my straight shaves will get with time and practice.

Once again I got zero irritation and zero blood. I cut the shadow down to a goatee for the weekend. BBS on my cheeks/jaw and DFS on my neck.

I may have to invest in a nicer razor soon and the rest of the gear needed to keep this up. I am thoroughly enjoying my straight razor shaves. This is much like the epiphany I had when I switched to DE from cartridges.

There are many posts here on B&B where I've applauded those brave enough to try straight razors and I even said on more than one occasion that I had zero desire to try straight razor shaving. Boy was I wrong! :thumbup:

Top Bottom