What's new

Single Edge Sunday - What Will You Use?

While everyone was getting a big, scary RR Hawk, I went for a humble PAA Starling. First shave today, 5th shave on the Gem Carbon Steel blade I’ve been trying out.

New today, reformatted Col Conk Amber. Melted, mentholated, loaded in a shave stick tube, and used as a preshave. Nice to get the early menthol hit. It also added to the glycerin quotient, not that CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout needs help in any department - it’s one of my favorite soaps.

I could definitely feel those unrounded teeth on the comb, but no big deal. I got a closer than expected DFS today, so I’m pleased with the razor so far, and surprised that the carbon blade keeps on giving.
6F097216-7180-4C74-9C36-28EF67866D85.jpeg

Sunday shave. May 17th, 2020

sotd_18052020.jpg

Razor: GEM Micromatic Clog-pruf Excelsior
Blade: GEM Personna PTFE
Pre shave: Edwin Jagger Lotion
Brush: Century NOS Badger
Soap: Tabac
After shave: Yves Rocher Balm

First time with a GEM razor and first time using the EJ pre shave.
The latter has too much menthol for my liking.

Easy 2-pass BBS. So the razor+blade system is very efficient. But for the price of a bloodbath. The razor smoothly and effortlessly skinned my face. No worries, I will definitely achieve the proper technique. Eventually.
No irritation though, the skin feels not exhausted at all. A very refreshing experience.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, May 24th 2020

Razor: Schick i2 injector hydro magic- Mfg 1954-57 Nice feature the Hydro magic that I do use!
Blade : Personna SS PTFE injector (3) I like this blade.
Soap: Proraso red Sandal wood
Brush: Razorock Noir 400, Good brush to lather with & will splay with a good scrub.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2. 2 passes is all what was needed after very close shave yesterday!
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood aftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea sensitive balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Great shave with my i2 Schick injector.
Sunday shave May 24th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Schick I1 injector razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Omega 80265 boar
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200523_090523.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200524
shave 20200524.jpg

Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (7)
Brush: Yaqi R1818 Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger
Soap: RazoRock Blue Fougère
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Blue Fougère
Cologne: Lagerfeld Classic

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

First shave with the Colonial General V2. Most impressive razor. :)

Razor: Gem 1912 Jr
Blade: SS GEM
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Cream: C.O bigelow
Aftershave Balm: Stirling Barbershop

FIRST shave with a SE. People weren't kidding about the rigidness of the blade. Felt it the instant it touched my skin and kind of made me nervous throughout the shave. 3 pass shave WTG, ATG, XTG. Not much different than the mild ****ty shaves I've been getting with my EJ DE89 and a Personnna blade. With more irritation but somewhat closer especially in the cheek area. Had 2 days of growth and early on in the shave ended up using a typical DE angle. Kept it much closer and straight to my face later in the shave and that probably added some closeness. I love this hobby but I'm getting close to giving up. There's no reason my shaves should be this bad. It doesn't just look like there is stubble left over my shave but there actually is stubble left over after my shave. In some places I can barely notice the difference pre shave and post shave (chin area especially).

After the shave took out the blade and dried it out along with the razor on a towel. Put the blade back in. Did I do that correctly or did I mess up the sharpness of the blade?

Razor: Gem 1912 Jr
Blade: SS GEM
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Cream: C.O bigelow
Aftershave Balm: Stirling Barbershop

FIRST shave with a SE. People weren't kidding about the rigidness of the blade. Felt it the instant it touched my skin and kind of made me nervous throughout the shave. 3 pass shave WTG, ATG, XTG. Not much different than the mild ****ty shaves I've been getting with my EJ DE89 and a Personnna blade. With more irritation but somewhat closer especially in the cheek area. Had 2 days of growth and early on in the shave ended up using a typical DE angle. Kept it much closer and straight to my face later in the shave and that probably added some closeness. I love this hobby but I'm getting close to giving up. There's no reason my shaves should be this bad. It doesn't just look like there is stubble left over my shave but there actually is stubble left over after my shave. In some places I can barely notice the difference pre shave and post shave (chin area especially).

After the shave took out the blade and dried it out along with the razor on a towel. Put the blade back in. Did I do that correctly or did I mess up the sharpness of the blade?

The SEs can take a little getting used to. Light pressure with the correct angle makes a difference. That razor should be used with the cap nearly flat to the skin. For some the first shave or two with a Gem blade can be a bit rough and then the blade smooths out and is more comfortable. Some people "cork" the blade to help with this. Corking a blade is taking the blade and very lightly cutting into a cork or a packing peanut running the entire cutting edge just barely into it.
With any shaving implement good beard prep can make a big difference.
I hope you can get things dialed in.
Drying the blade carefully with a towel should not effect the edge at all.
Lots of great info about these razors in the Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/ thread. Hopefully we can help you figure out how to get a great shave out of these razors.

Ron R

Plastic handle with the metal head, if it is this one.

I new that once you showed the picture, but had my head wrapped around something else(my Canadian Schick G injector hybrid) that it was modified in someway and wrote before thinking that one out. The Oneblade Hybrid is a nice looking razor and is well built IMO. Sorry about that @StuMcB :wink2:.

The SEs can take a little getting used to. Light pressure with the correct angle makes a difference. That razor should be used with the cap nearly flat to the skin. For some the first shave or two with a Gem blade can be a bit rough and then the blade smooths out and is more comfortable. Some people "cork" the blade to help with this. Corking a blade is taking the blade and very lightly cutting into a cork or a packing peanut running the entire cutting edge just barely into it.
With any shaving implement good beard prep can make a big difference.
I hope you can get things dialed in.
Drying the blade carefully with a towel should not effect the edge at all.
Lots of great info about these razors in the Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/ thread. Hopefully we can help you figure out how to get a great shave out of these razors.

I def saw the potential though. Closer on my cheeks than the DE ever was.

Ron R

Sunday Schick Shave, May 31st 2020

Razor: Schick Champion injector L type theme series- Mfg 1976 for Montreal Olympics, Schick was a sponsor also.
Blade: Personna injector SS PTFE (4) great blade with longevity, Sharpness and smooths out during it's life cycle.
Soap: Tabac- light floral scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft 24mm - great brush, closest thing to a worn in boar brush IMO with soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser +a small dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave + a small dollop of Nivea sensitive skin balm. :001_wub:
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 weepers=:a17:great shave with my Schick Champion L type injector.
Sunday Schick shave, May31st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom