What's new

How to properly use a SS PTFE single edge blade

For me it is going on about 2 years of wet shaving. I only use single edge razors/blade combinations.

I am satisfied, comfortable and confident with my shaving technique, though still learning.

I am still getting use to using my PTFE SE blade. My questions can apply to other SE and DE blades.

I thought when shaving, you only use the middle of the blade. I am cautiously learning how to use, not only the middle of the blade, but also, the top and bottom of a razor blade, if the that makes since.

I have a goatee and a bald head with coarse hair.

Question

1. When shaving with any blade, do you just use the middle of your blade?

2. When shaving, do you also use to top and bottom of your blade.

3. What areas of your face and head do you use the top and bottom of your blade and why?

What advice can you past on to me about when to use a combination of the:

1. middle of the blade
2. top of the blade
3. bottom of the blade

I am guessing, in order to get the best shave you can, is to learn how to safely use all parts of your razor blade, correct?

Have a good next shave.

Thank you for pointing out to me I am not being very clear.

Let me see if I can explain my questions better.

First
I am using the entire width of the razor blade, but not at all times. Sometimes I may only use the edge or I may use a different angle when shaving particular areas of my face and head.

Maybe it makes more sense if I say:
Edge of razor blade or different angle of the razor blade, in place of middle, top/bottom of razor blade.

I wonder if more experienced shavers do the same and how, causing razor burn, without cutting or slicing themselves.

For example:

Cheeks
They are flat, so I use the total width of the razor blade using a regular blade angle.

Shaping my goatee
I use only the edges or I use a different angle of the razor blade.

Shaping the sole patch of my goatee
I use only the edges of the razor blade at different angles.

Around my ears
I use only the edge of my razor blade at different angles.

Coarse hair on the curves of my head
I have difficult area’s of my head where the hair is coarse that leaves patches when shaving.

In place of using multiple passes and risking razor burn, I will use only the edge or different angle of the razor blade, with a little more pressure, to remove the hair. I don’t use too much pressure to were I slice or cut myself.

I hope my questions make more sense now.

Any advice from more experienced shavers on how to use my razor blade to get at difficult areas, without the risk of razor burn, or cuts would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

the more experience you build with a particular razor, the more comfortable, creative and effective you'll get with how to use it to accomplish the kind of shave you want.

Depending on results over time this may illustrate short comings that you may instigate you to explore other razors, blades and soft products.

Or, maybe what you have and how you use it is fine and no need to change what works consistently.

Hi,

I use all sections of the blade when shaving. I have not heard the advice to just use the middle of the blade before. I would echo what @steelwindmachine said as you use and become more comfortable with a razor you will understand the cutting angle of the blade and you will try different cutting motions or patterns to maximize beard removal. I would also say that knowing the razor blade is of equal or more importance because different blades give different face feel or feeling as it cuts though beard growth.

To answer your questions:

1. I use the middle or whole blade during the North to South with the grain pass that I do. Except the corner of my lips and under my nose than I often use the edge of the blade. I also use the edge of the blade on the jawline and under the chin. I have a cleft chin that gets use of the edges of the blade. I use the middle and whole blade on the cheeks and certain areas of the neck.

2. I use the edges of the blade in tight spaces like under the nose or the cleft of my chin or when beard growth patterns require different angles like under the chin before the neck or the jaw. Beard mapping will help you understand how best to cut your beard hair and what areas require different angles. Beard mapping is drawing a map of how the hair on your face grows. Under my chin and on my neck I have hair that grows in all four directions.

3. I would also say that different soaps and creams can have a dramatic effect on the experience of your shave and the quality of your shave.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Happy shaving!

Hi,

I use all sections of the blade when shaving. I have not heard the advice to just use the middle of the blade before. I would echo what @steelwindmachine said as you use and become more comfortable with a razor you will understand the cutting angle of the blade and you will try different cutting motions or patterns to maximize beard removal. I would also say that knowing the razor blade is of equal or more importance because different blades give different face feel or feeling as it cuts though beard growth.

To answer your questions:

1. I use the middle or whole blade during the North to South with the grain pass that I do. Except the corner of my lips and under my nose than I often use the edge of the blade. I also use the edge of the blade on the jawline and under the chin. I have a cleft chin that gets use of the edges of the blade. I use the middle and whole blade on the cheeks and certain areas of the neck.

2. I use the edges of the blade in tight spaces like under the nose or the cleft of my chin or when beard growth patterns require different angles like under the chin before the neck or the jaw. Beard mapping will help you understand how best to cut your beard hair and what areas require different angles. Beard mapping is drawing a map of how the hair on your face grows. Under my chin and on my neck I have hair that grows in all four directions.

3. I would also say that different soaps and creams can have a dramatic effect on the experience of your shave and the quality of your shave.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Happy shaving!
Follow up.

Your reply was very helpful.

My 1924 Shovel head is still my daily driver. I still shave my face and head daily. I still use the SS GEM PTFE blade. I average 3-5 shaves with each blade. Since this thread:

1. I am more familiar and more comfortable shaving my face and head.

2. I am more familiar and more comfortable using the razor and blade combination.

I am more experienced and more comfortable shaving period. After trial error I am still a 100% SE user, by choice.

You were/are correct. At the time of starting this thread I was comfortable with my technique, but was not experienced enough to get the most out of my blade.

Before when shaving the various parts of my face and head, I had to think about what blade angle and cutting motions to use. Cutting angles and cutting motions, are now automatic.

Daily I continue to look forward to and enjoy every shave partly due to your advice.

Appreciated.

Top Bottom