What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Wed 23rd Jan
PAA Starling SE-Gem with Standard & Open Comb Plates. From USA - UK in 9 days. Soap arrived at same time.

IMG_0781.jpg

I went out to some local antique stores looking for an "M" type adjustable and ran across this. I already have a type G but I couldn't pass this up.

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

That's a great find. I have a Gem Micromatic Open Comb with a similar case. Dose that one have the blade banks for new and used blades?

Actually, no - and it doesn't appear to have ever had them. Maybe this was the "Standard" model and the other is "Deluxe"

Here you go

20190205_164422.jpg
20190205_164445.jpg
20190205_164600.jpg
It looks like it should accept blade banks in the middle, on each side, but as noted, there is no sign of any ever having been there.

The handle is actually pretty amazing, I've seen it on other razors (Gem etc.). When you compare it to what Gillette was doing at the same time, they're worlds apart.

Technically not a recent find, because I took possession of the components last April.
I had just gotten 5 DEs from a vendor at a flea market, with no interest in Schick Injectors. A few tables later i ask another vendor if he had any DEs. "No", he said, but brought out this Type G. The tag had some silly low price on it so I thought, okay, what the heck. As he handed it to me for inspection it the handle fell off. So, he sez "aw just take it".
Not only was the handle broken, but the head was bent back by about 15º (between spring and handle), and the spring was turned around to the left. I don't think that model is supposed to do that, right?
It looked to me like someone tried to get the old blade out (was still in it) without a magazine key. I was not familiar with Schick injectors so I just put the pieces in a Tupperware container and forgot all about it.

More recently though, I've been having some success with a Lady Eversharp and was quite impressed with the Schick injector system, so I thought about maybe trying to repair the Type G.

First I bent things back into shape and then duct taped the head to a ball-end handle from my Long-Comb New. I originally tried it with the RazoRock Barberpole handle, and that was a very slightly snugger fit, but it was too heavy. The taped-on ball-end handle was good enough for one shave just to see if the head was salvageable.

Behold . . . The Frankenjector!

Don't laugh, it worked. :thumbup: It gave me a closer shave than the Lady Eversharp.
I think I will try to epoxy the Type G back together, and put it in rotation.

Here is today's antique store SE purchase.
I need to do some searching to figure out exactly which schick I got bit I'm happy I got one. Razor mug andbrush all came together for $8.50 plus tax. Not sure if the brush is blonde horse or boar hair.

20190217_202201_HDR.jpg
20190217_202426_HDR.jpg

I need to do some searching to figure out exactly which schick

E3 or E4:

E (handle without seam) and 3 (parallel grooves and spring side flaps) or 4 (parallel grooves and no side flaps for spring).

Hopefully some one will correct me if I am mistaken! Just learning this as I picked up a couple E2s.

E3 or E4:

E (handle without seam) and 3 (parallel grooves and spring side flaps) or 4 (parallel grooves and no side flaps for spring).

Hopefully some one will correct me if I am mistaken! Just learning this as I picked up a couple E2s.

I think it may be a G model as it has 2 patents stamped on the handle. Like you, I also stand to be correct if wrong. Either way, a great shaver. Enjoy.

E3 or E4:

I think it may be a G model as it has 2 patents stamped on the handle. Like you, I also stand to be correct if wrong. Either way, a great shaver. Enjoy.

I will try to get better pictures once I have time to clean it up.

Top Bottom