What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Picked up these two GEM's
Gem Lather Catcher & a Gem Micromatic OC. They both came cased. The Lather Catcher case is in rough shape, but it came with two Kampfe wedge blades. The Micromatic came with 1 used blade and 1 blade still in the wrapper. I will post other photos in separate threads. Got both razors for $80.00. They also threw in a metal blade storage case. It will go with my old type case.
$20140717_131455.jpg$20140717_131515.jpg

Attachments

• $20140717_123359.jpg
    $20140717_123359.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 277
  • $20140717_123537.jpg
    $20140717_123537.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
This is my Schick type G that I picked up an an antique shop. I probably paid a couple bucks more than I should have, but it was still a pretty good deal.

Still haven't used it because I don't have blades, but I'll pick some up soon hopefully. Looking forward to trying it out!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406310033.663440.jpg

I found a Gem 1912 at the antique shop over the week for $5. How would you recommend cleaning and sterilization? I soaked it in OxiClean and hot water. I also scrubbed it with hot water, soap and a toothbrush.

Got a Schick m1 adjustable (and user grade micromatic) for $14 on the bay. I have yet to shave with it, although I noticed that even on the lowest setting the blade gap still looks wider than the L series (the razors seem to have very similar construction)

I'm trying to be on sabbatical, but my email tells me I bought a very nice schick I2 and j4 last night while I was drinking. Inebriated Dennis knows what he wants, and he wants hydro-magic.

$razor.jpg

Valet autostrop, the strop was still wrapped in packaging (although some cruft had certainly built up). The razor was in outstanding condition and is polishing up nicely; the 5 extra blades still nicely tucked in their wrappers. The case looks pretty sweet, although the gold felt lettering on the inside has faded quite a bit. I'm extremely pissed at myself because when I took out the instructions (to actually read them), which were in fantastic condition, they caught a little bit and I tore it in the seam where the first and second page fold. The page are still connected but it tore along 2/3rds of the length or so. I'm hoping a very small dab of glue can reconnect it; at least I used the instructions for the intended purpose unlike the original owner. :001_cool:

I stropped the extra blade around 25 times, although it's clear the strop needs some cleaning and a bit of paste couldn't hurt. It's obviously in fine condition never having been used, but I'm sure it could look like new once I spiff it up a bit.

It will be an interesting shave tomorrow, although since I'm using the one blade which wasn't sealed I'm not expecting great things. If this one fails I will strop and load one of the NOS blades.

It's amazing how cheaply these sell for. The poster above got a nice kit for $5, and this one which included unused blades and strop only set me back $20+$5 shipping. Normally I'd feel weird shaving and using a set in such good condition, but if I ever want to start collecting these things are so inexpensive I could get 2 mint AutoStrop sets for the price of one gunky fatboy. :001_rolle

Last edited:
Good morning all! This is actually my very first post here, as I'm pretty much completely new to the world of "antique shaving." I do have one old DE safety razor that belonged to my father-in-law. But this one that I hope to post a picture of is brand new to me. Knew ZERO about them until yesterday when I did some reading and came across this forum! Anyway, any help with ID or anything would be appreciated! Thanks.

It says "Valet Auto Strop" and "New York, New York" and I think "c9" maybe!

Picked this up completely on a whim at a garage sale yesterday morning for two bucks. :)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Scored this today on that internet auction site for $14 with shipping. My first Schick. Can't wait to get it and put it to work. The RAD continues.

$schick.jpg

Top Bottom