What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

These two came in a 3 razor lot from the bay with a Lady Gillette that I was after, so essentially I got them for free. The Gem Jr. was a pleasant surprise. It was in very good shape and took little cleanup effort. The Bullet MM was not so pleasant. It took a couple of days of soaking and a judicious application of leverage to open the head so the old rusty blade could be removed. An hour of boiling with aluminum foil and a dousing with penetrating oil loosened up the mechanism. A little work with dental tools to remove an impressive build up of hard water deposits to finish up. Not pretty, but operational. Both provided great shaves
$102_1080.jpg

Your bullet sure looks better than mine. Good find.
I spotted these two in a backyard antique store the weekend before last. I did a little research here then waited for this weekend for the shop to open again. They cleaned up nicely. Unfortunately the Gem Jr. Bar did not have the blade honing guide. I used the Damaskene this morning and plan on using the Jr. Bar tomorrow.
$102_1102.jpg

BTW, does anyone know what the thread size is on the Jr. Bar's handle. I would like to make a wood handle like the ones I have seen on other Jr. Bars.

This one came to me. A guy who lives in our condo brought me these. I paid to much, but he went thru the trouble. I am not into straights, but now I have one with a chipped edge.
$20140625_192306.jpg $20140625_192415.jpg $20140625_192509.jpg$20140625_192914.jpg

Here are a few picture of a razor that i aquired a few months ago and forgot about

$DSC_0457.jpg$DSC_0458.jpg$DSC_0459.jpg$DSC_0460.jpg$DSC_0461.jpg

It is a darwin se very similar to the rolls, but with a spare blade and a reverseable and removeable strop.
Please excuse my photography as its a dark art to me.

I've been using 50yo de blades for the last couple weeks. As long as they are unused and weren't stored in a septic tank you're probably fine.

I've been using 50yo de blades for the last couple weeks. As long as they are unused and weren't stored in a septic tank you're probably fine.

They looked fine, so I went ahead and used them. Unfortunately they were very rough. I'm going to pick up some Chicks locally and give 'er another go with them.

They looked fine, so I went ahead and used them. Unfortunately they were very rough. I'm going to pick up some Chicks locally and give 'er another go with them.

Were those stainless or carbon steel? I got a couple different packs of old PAL injector blades a while back and tried both. The stainless ones were fine. The carbon ones although the looked good were pretty bad in use. Not very sharp or smooth. Didn't cut myself of get razor burn but they pulled a good but and just wouldn't give a clean shave no matter how many passes I did. I don't know if they had degraded somehow or if they were always bad blades.

Were those stainless or carbon steel? I got a couple different packs of old PAL injector blades a while back and tried both. The stainless ones were fine. The carbon ones although the looked good were pretty bad in use. Not very sharp or smooth. Didn't cut myself of get razor burn but they pulled a good but and just wouldn't give a clean shave no matter how many passes I did. I don't know if they had degraded somehow or if they were always bad blades.

They were carbon steel. I gave them two shaves before I binned the whole pack. I picked up a pack of Chinese Schicks a couple of days ago, but I haven't used them yet. I've been using my Old Type exclusively of late.

Top Bottom