What's new

Shredding brush.

Hi everyone.i have a Wilkinson Sword Pure Boar bristle brush that I bought new about 6 months ago. Lately it has been shredding a lot and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if it should be thrown out or if there is something I can do to stop it. I have other brushes so it's not a major concern but I'm just not sure if what is happening is normal or if it's a sign the brush might be on the way out. Many thanks.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

I have a few that shed. Typical reasons are either they're cheaply made or defected. The ones I have that shed are the former, rather than the latter.

If it wasn't rinsed properly and if you have hard water, soap scum accumulates and starts rotting the bristles, leading to shedding. Soaking it in hot water also may cause glue to loosen, leading to shedding.

Defective brush shows its flaws immediately. When it's user error the issues typically begin 6-12 months in.

Keep cleaning it with shampoo few times after shaving to get rid of the soap scum. Good luck.

Just checking to be sure: you’re not squeezing it after each use to wring the water out, are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it wasn't rinsed properly and if you have hard water, soap scum accumulates and starts rotting the bristles, leading to shedding. Soaking it in hot water also may cause glue to loosen, leading to shedding.

Defective brush shows its flaws immediately. When it's user error the issues typically begin 6-12 months in.

Keep cleaning it with shampoo few times after shaving to get rid of the soap scum. Good luck.

+1. Plus, after you wash the brush make a solution of vinegar and water (1 part vinegar to 10 parts water) and soak your brush in that for a few minutes. That will get rid of any soap residue.

How many hairs is losing?

Be aware that just about everywhere it's been customer-reviewed (even on Wilkinson Sword's own site) the WS brush has acquired a bad reputation for bristle loss. Whether that's due to poor materials / manufacture or insufficient post-shave care by many of its buyers I don't know.

Trying combing it with a basic hair comb. I had a 'shedder' some time back. The combing removed lots of loose hairs and the brush now works quite well.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments. I just researched & found out I should have used the term shedding not shredding. Just to clear it up I have definitely not been "shredding" my brush haha.

Be aware that just about everywhere it's been customer-reviewed (even on Wilkinson Sword's own site) the WS brush has acquired a bad reputation for bristle loss. Whether that's due to poor materials / manufacture or insufficient post-shave care by many of its buyers I don't know.
Oh really? Mmm interesting.

+1. Plus, after you wash the brush make a solution of vinegar and water (1 part vinegar to 10 parts water) and soak your brush in that for a few minutes. That will get rid of any soap residue.

How many hairs is losing?
It's losing a lot of hairs.

Hi everyone.i have a Wilkinson Sword Pure Boar bristle brush that I bought new about 6 months ago. Lately it has been shredding a lot and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if it should be thrown out or if there is something I can do to stop it. I have other brushes so it's not a major concern but I'm just not sure if what is happening is normal or if it's a sign the brush might be on the way out. Many thanks.

You should try to soak the bristles for 10-15 minutes before the shave to soften it. That can reduce the shedding a bit.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Luckily it is not an expensive brush. I have been using a second hand Wilkinson Sword brush for a few months now and luckily for me it has hardly shed any bristles. Its having a rest at the moment but it hardly cost me anything so if it starts shedding in the future I think that I have had my moneys worth out of it. It is a good cheap brush IMHO.

Luckily it is not an expensive brush. I have been using a second hand Wilkinson Sword brush for a few months now and luckily for me it has hardly shed any bristles. Its having a rest at the moment but it hardly cost me anything so if it starts shedding in the future I think that I have had my moneys worth out of it. It is a good cheap brush IMHO.
Yeah exactly.

Great advice in this thread!

The main thing is that you have learned some good lessons with this brush that will help in the future!

I was gifted a Wilkinson Sword Pure Boar and it shed terribly from the break in period on. I quickly tired of pulling hairs off my face and off my soap so the brush found it's way to File 13. A friend of mine has one and really likes the brush, so I think it may be a quality control issue. I hope you can use some of the tips given and save the brush.

Just checking to be sure: you’re not squeezing it after each use to wring the water out, are you.
If I'm being honest I have been doing that. I'll stop immediately.
I don't think that squeezing is the problem. While doing it to a poorly made brush may expose it's weakness, I squeeze the lather out of my Omega boar every day and never lose bristles. I dry it on a towel with circles and face lather with circles too! I may just be lucky.:001_rolle

Some cheaper brushes are just shedders. Ive had a few cheaper boar brushes that would lose a few hairs every shave and it was just something that I accepted about the brush.
I dont really think theres much you can do in that instance.

I don't think that squeezing is the problem. While doing it to a poorly made brush may expose it's weakness, I squeeze the lather out of my Omega boar every day and never lose bristles. I dry it on a towel with circles and face lather with circles too! I may just be lucky.:001_rolle

Definitely on the lucky side. My father taught me that over 40 years ago. I had a roommate who ruined an Everready boar by squeezing it.

You don’t need too and if you are shedding, then your brush cannot take it. I gently shake excess water out, decelerating my stroke so as to avoid an abrupt inertial stop, which can dislodge bristles.

Top Bottom