What's new

Your best money is no object shaving cream?

I’ve tried a mountain of creams from cheap to expensive from all over the world and Palmolive is tops for me. Super slick. Moisturizing. Pretty pleasant Soap smell that fades quick and makes way for your aftershave.
Been using pamolive this past week after using some high end creams mentioned. Pamolive is a real pleasure to use.
I tried it before and blamed it for irritation, but none this time,.

Try the Acqua di Parma (AdP) Soft Shaving Cream.

Last year I tried many of the mass-produced shave creams in tubes and a bunch of the more expensive creams. Nothing was better than AdP. The obvious problem with AdP is the price. I wanted to love Castle Forbes, but it did not work well with my very hard water, so I had to transport water from work - too much work. Truefitt & Hill is very good. I need to try their Ultimate Comfort. Atkinsons For Gentlemen is also pretty good.

Of the mass-produced tube creams, Palmolive Classic and Speick are good.

2 euro Proraso works so wonderfully that I got mad when I spent 30 on MWF.

Call me cheap, 10 euros is my limit. (Be careful Cella, you’re almost out)
How did you wind up spending 30 Euros on MWF? Typical U.S. price has been around $15 with periodic $12 sale prices. When the U.K. pound collapsed during the fall of '22 we were able to stock up from Connaught for under $6 landed in the U.S. Its typical list price in the U.K. has been around 7 British Pounds.

Agree that one doesn't need to spend $30 or Euros of great shaving soap. With the exception of my first $12 puck of MWF all my soaps have been landed for under $10 U.S. Many for a lot less.

The creams I already have including LEA Professional and Menthol as well at a couple Cyril R. Salter Luxury Creams. All build excellent lather with the Cyril Salter providing nice scents.

How did you wind up spending 30 Euros on MWF? Typical U.S. price has been around $15 with periodic $12 sale prices. When the U.K. pound collapsed during the fall of '22 we were able to stock up from Connaught for under $6 landed in the U.S. Its typical list price in the U.K. has been around 7 British Pounds.

Agree that one doesn't need to spend $30 or Euros of great shaving soap. With the exception of my first $12 puck of MWF all my soaps have been landed for under $10 U.S. Many for a lot less.
I bought the one with the ceramic bowl (why not?). In Italy it was the cheapest I could find. It’s 34 now on the same website.

The puck is 12 euros but they were out of stock at the time.

I bought the one with the ceramic bowl (why not?). In Italy it was the cheapest I could find. It’s 34 now on the same website.

The puck is 12 euros but they were out of stock at the time.
Makes sense: at the time I placed my Connaught orders my MWF in the ceramic bowl was 14.50 British Pounds or just under $17 U.S. at that time. As the price has gone up to 21.50 British Pounds or just over $27 U.S. plus shipping, that is no longer free, since then 30 Euros is not an unreasonable price. 12 Euros for the refill puck is inline with what we pay on this side of the Atlantic.

Refill puck prices have also gone up. In quantities of 6 Connaught was selling MWF refill pucks for 4.80 British Pounds or under $6 U.S. Now the price is 7.00 British Pounds or under $9 U.S. plus shipping (for the new non-tallow formulation). Roughly in-line now with shipping with your price and those of U.S. retailers.

I have used the tube one, it was very runny. Probably a bad batch or delivery temp issues.

The plastic tube version is not worth the price tag in my mind. It was good, but not $60 USD good.
Interesting, the Penhaligons Blenheim shaving cream appears to have a similar base to Cyril R. Salter as follows:

Penhaligons Blenheim Ingredients:
Aqua, stearic acid, myristic acid, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, glycol distearate, sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, parfum(fragrance), limonene, linalool, citral, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben

Cyril R. Salter Ingredients:
Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Acid
, Triethanolamine, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Perfume (Fragrance), Benzyl Alcohol, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Main difference appears to be a bit more glycerin versus the Cyril R. Salter. Many of the remaining ingredients likely for the different scents. Cyril R. Salter is 8 British Pounds ex. VAT or under $10 U.S. for 5.8 oz/165ml in a blue tub. Wonder if they contract manufacture the Penhaligons as they do a number of D.R. Harris shaving products? Cost differential to $60 U.S. for slightly less product would need to be justified by the quality of the scent ingredients.

Awaiting arrival of Omega Via Barberia Herbae shaving cream.

I'd been considering the Baume.be but hesitated over the price. That's when the Omega was called to my attention. It comes highly recommended, so I changed course.

Awaiting arrival of Omega Via Barberia Herbae shaving cream.

I'd been considering the Baume.be but hesitated over the price. That's when the Omega was called to my attention. It comes highly recommended, so I changed course.
The irony of your comment given the topic “money is no object shaving cream”

Top Bottom