What's new

Shredding brush.

My cheap badger shed for about 18 months till it finally stopped. Omega boar has lost maybe 5 hairs in the same time period. Both are treated the same. I think generally it’s about the quality of the brush but i wouldn’t stress it too much. It’ll stop eventually! Enjoy it destroy it i say.

I shower shave and never pre-soak my five boar brushes which I use in rotation. They all shed a hair or two very occasionally. I face lather using a cream and swill and flick the brushes, hanging them upside down. If a brush starts to shed regularly I rub in some hair conditioner and leave it in overnight. My son uses a badger and synthetic brushes and they both shed occasionally......

If I'm being honest I have been doing that. I'll stop immediately.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Why would you stop squeezing the knot after rinsing it? There is nothing wrong with doing that, and I would venture to guess that 99% of wet shavers do it, myself included. It’s perfectly normal and won’t cause a well made brush to shed hairs. I wouldn’t wring it (twist while squeezing), though.

Why would you stop squeezing the knot after rinsing it? There is nothing wrong with doing that, and I would venture to guess that 99% of wet shavers do it, myself included. It’s perfectly normal and won’t cause a well made brush to shed hairs. I wouldn’t wring it (twist while squeezing), though.

Because it’s impossible to squeeze it without pulling on the knot. Why do it, if it’s totally unnecessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily it is not an expensive brush. I have been using a second hand Wilkinson Sword brush for a few months now and luckily for me it has hardly shed any bristles. Its having a rest at the moment but it hardly cost me anything so if it starts shedding in the future I think that I have had my moneys worth out of it. It is a good cheap brush IMHO.
Yeah I like it but just recently it's been shedding a lot. Fairly inexpensive so I could always get another one.

Some cheaper brushes are just shedders. Ive had a few cheaper boar brushes that would lose a few hairs every shave and it was just something that I accepted about the brush.
I dont really think theres much you can do in that instance.
Yeah I think you're right.

I think maybe I have been too rough with it. So I'll try to do it more gently.

Shaver Nath, I've had the same brush and the exact same shedding problems as you and everyone else which used this brush. The problem is not the user, it's the brush. It sheds like crazy because the bristles are not well assembled and glued in the handle. Simply as that. Squeezing, twisting, water too hot, soap scum at the base - all this is useless talk when it comes to Wilkinson boar brush. Despite having soft bristles that feel nice on the face, I've had enough picking incessantly 5-6-7 hairs from my face or from the razor. A shedding brush is a sure way to ruin my mood when I shave. I threw that brush right in the garbage bin, not even bothering to wash it. And now I enjoy the other 6 brushes I have, without the slightest regret for the Wilkinson.

Shaver Nath, do the same and spare yourself the trouble to pick up bristles from your face. It's not worth it. It's simply a bad assembled brush, not only yours or mine-all of them. Read reviews about this brush and see for yourself. Trying to keep it, to give it "a second chance", to use it in hope it will stop shedding, it's simply a waste of time and a source of frustration.

Shaver Nath, I've had the same brush and the exact same shedding problems as you and everyone else which used this brush. The problem is not the user, it's the brush. It sheds like crazy because the bristles are not well assembled and glued in the handle. Simply as that. Squeezing, twisting, water too hot, soap scum at the base - all this is useless talk when it comes to Wilkinson boar brush. Despite having soft bristles that feel nice on the face, I've had enough picking incessantly 5-6-7 hairs from my face or from the razor. A shedding brush is a sure way to ruin my mood when I shave. I threw that brush right in the garbage bin, not even bothering to wash it. And now I enjoy the other 6 brushes I have, without the slightest regret for the Wilkinson.

Shaver Nath, do the same and spare yourself the trouble to pick up bristles from your face. It's not worth it. It's simply a bad assembled brush, not only yours or mine-all of them. Read reviews about this brush and see for yourself. Trying to keep it, to give it "a second chance", to use it in hope it will stop shedding, it's simply a waste of time and a source of frustration.
Hi. Thanks for your comment. You'll be pleased to know I threw it out a few days ago. Haha.

Omega boar brush, inexpensive and great quality. Mine has shed maybe 8 hairs total since I started.

Since breaking it in (3days in cold water in the fridge) I never twist or pull the hairs, simply shake the brush vigorously and let it air dry. I wouldn't pull or twist my own hair, why would I do it to my boar brush?

That's not that rare with boar brushes. Certain brands seem prone to it. My Turkish boars never shed, but my old Van Der Hagen brush did every so often.

Top Bottom