What's new

Show Us Your BICYCLE(S)!!!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have one with a motor too.

Here's a pic of my SSMTB I built, but it now sports a steel frame and new hand built by me rear wheel with a surly 1x1 hub. The specialized is my wifes bike I built from the frame up, full 8sp XTR transmission with integrated levers/shifters, xtr v-brakes, hand built xtr/ritchey front wheel, Cane Creek WAM rear wheel, easton carbon bars, old school Judy SL fork. It weighs in at a mere 23 pounds with slime in the tubes!

proxy.php

-Xander

I want to play! Funny, I searched the Outdoor forum, but fixated on MTB...I should have thought 'cycling' and would have hit more threads.

Specialized Rockhopper FC Comp, late nineties maybe? It is, apparently, a bitchin' vintage bike. :tongue_sm I've recently replaced the stem with a 55mm.

proxy.php

Xander, that Moab is a fine machine. The SS conversion really looks good, almost factory. I like the use of the rear brake booster, those wishbone seat stays are quite flexible and never did a great job of modulating a high leverage top quality V-brake. What steel frame did you go to?

Xander, that Moab is a fine machine. The SS conversion really looks good, almost factory. I like the use of the rear brake booster, those wishbone seat stays are quite flexible and never did a great job of modulating a high leverage top quality V-brake. What steel frame did you go to?

Thanx man! That MOAB is one of the first aluminum mtb frames made by Schwinn, '89 or '90 I believe. It did well for the several seasons I used it. The whole thing was quite flexy, though. Funny how a flexy frame can work, put super stiff wheels and cranks on there and it just gives like its made of spaghetti, but with lower end components like a cheap square taper BB and low end cranks, heavy wheels with low tension and the flex is spread around the whole system and generally is not felt near as much.

I think I paid $10 bucks for the frame from some video game nerd who rode it and crashed, then never did anything with it after that. Threw everything else away and built it up with stuff from my spare parts bins. I forgot to mention, its sporting vintage Titec titanium handle bars there, and the brake booster was custom made for me.

The frame is now a vintage Marin I had stashed away in my most secure and secret hiding spot several years ago, the ivy covering the back fence, lol! I also switched over to a carbon flat bar (can you tell I like flat bars?!) and ITM magnesium stem which dropped almost an ounce right away! The new frame is very similar geometry but has a taller head tube which I like, and also a stronger rear triangle but I still need the brake booster. I did switch up to XT brake levers as well as the new dedicated SS rear wheel on a surly 1x1 hub.

I think I have a pic of it in my photobucket somewhere as it currently sits, but I guess I can take pics of it tomorrow too. I just love spare parts bikes, I have built so many of them over the years I managed bike shops, sometimes sell them, sometimes ride them for a week and rebuild them again. This one has seen so many crazy combinations its not even considered the same bike anymore! I think the wierdest was when I had some moustache bars and an Amp F2 linkage suspension fork on it, hot pink cable housing, bar end shifters, brooks saddle, and white ind. Wheels! It was rad!

-Xander

Legion

Staff member
I picked this up yesterday. A vintage Malvern Star road bike. Malvern Star is an old Australian brand (although this one is made in Japan, I think), and the brand is still around today. I bought it because my house mate and his friends are right into cycling, and all have the latest, flash, expensive road bikes, and I can't keep up with them on my single speed. I think this old girl will do the job fine, once I swap out some parts.

It has a 64cm frame, which will help prevent it getting stolen. Anyone with shorter legs than mine will MESS themselves up if they try to ride it. :laugh:

proxy.php

Here's a pic of my SSMTB I built, but it now sports a steel frame and new hand built by me rear wheel with a surly 1x1 hub. The specialized is my wifes bike I built from the frame up, full 8sp XTR transmission with integrated levers/shifters, xtr v-brakes, hand built xtr/ritchey front wheel, Cane Creek WAM rear wheel, easton carbon bars, old school Judy SL fork. It weighs in at a mere 23 pounds with slime in the tubes!

proxy.php

-Xander

It's a Schwinglespeed!

Definitely not glamour shots, but here's my latest (I tend to buy, tinker, sell, buy...), it's a 2008 Trek 6000 with some upgrades & changes:

$IMG_2902.jpg

And my wife's (orig intended for me), an old-skool Specialized S-Works frame with vintage XTR components...
$IMG_2903.jpg

There's some decent single-track here in the foothills of central Virginia. It ain't Washington (state), but it sure beats Nebraska!

$bike.jpg
I just got this off Craigslist last week. I have wanted a single speed for years. A 2008 that that was hardly ridden. Excellent condition. I flipped the hub, not ready to ride it fixie. I have taken it out a few times to run errands. Fun bike.

I just got this off Craigslist last week. I have wanted a single speed for years. A 2008 that that was hardly ridden. Excellent condition. I flipped the hub, not ready to ride it fixie. I have taken it out a few times to run errands. Fun bike.

I'm jealous. Nice find! You gotta give it a go as a fixie though - it's a blast!

I SO want a road bike. My trail is wet right now, and I've been peddling my MTB around the streets.

I SO want a road bike. My trail is wet right now, and I've been peddling my MTB around the streets.

Nothin beats that feeling of transitioning from bumpy momentum-killing roots and rocks to the smooooth quiet fast feeling of the road with a fixed gear under you!

Ahhhh...! (I don't have one either, just wishing!)

throw some slicks on it, it makes a world of difference.

to make it very easy, get a 2nd set of rims and simply swap them out on road days.

Top Bottom