What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently stopped to help someone in a Tacoma of about that year that had a wheel stuffed under the fender just like that.
I've only put 10,000 miles on it in 9 years. My neighbor just gave me a real truck about a month ago. I'm just glad God let it happen before I sold it. Lol, now someone is going to have a "Tonka" truck with a brand new front end.
I'm hoping to get what I paid for it. It's really clean for Michigan.

Edit: good on you for stopping to help. My Dad used to stop WHENEVER and WHEREVER he saw a motorist in distress. All of us kids were shown a good example.

We often think today "oh, everybody's got a cell phone." But that's not always the case.

You done a good deed there @ColtRevolver ! Good lesson for all of us.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Of course, how many of us old folks on here remember back when cars weren't near as reliable as they are today? Lol, we EXPECT to get 200,000 miles out of cars today. Even 300,000.... The Pontiac Vibe my buddy has the odometer stops at 299,999 miles! I guess after that you have to guess the milage!!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Of course, how many of us old folks on here remember back when cars weren't near as reliable as they are today? Lol, we EXPECT to get 200,000 miles out of cars today. Even 300,000.... The Pontiac Vibe my buddy has the odometer stops at 299,999 miles! I guess after that you have to guess the milage!!
As a child big time vacation events often included a weekend drive and of course as the eldest son I helped dad prep for the trips. Common things that were added even for day trips would include a fan belt, a second spare tire, a puncture kit and hand pump, distributor cap & rotor with plug wires and plugs, two bottles of recycled oil and a headlamp. And I can also remember when we actually needed to use some of those items on most every trip.

Each of us kids had to show we could handle most common road-side repair issues before we were allowed to drive on our own. Even the girls learned to change tires on their own, replace plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, tighten a loose fan belt and replace a broken fan belt, replace a headlamp or tail light bulb, wipers or even a wiper arm.

By the way, we also learned to drive backwards. Dad made us learn to drive all around the neighborhood in reverse, stopping, starting, making turns, dealing with hills and always with a manual transmission three on the column. Only when we showed we could maintain lane position and start/stop control we we allowed to turn around in the seat and drive forwards. Man, going forward so much easier.

FarmerTan

IMG_20201021_161130342.jpgIMG_20201021_161220370~2.jpgIMG_20201021_161144425.jpgIMG_20201021_161022085_HDR.jpg
At least it happened in a pretty place folks!

Spent hours today fixing a Hakim 8mm semiauto- kind of an Egyptian Garand. Complete disassembly. Sear was stuck, gummed up with old oil and crud. Gun Scrubber fixed.

But getting the front barrel band cap back on! They musta had a special tool. Spring steel doohickey like a K98 sight hood, but. Got dark, it's still not on.

Gun works, though.

AA
I got an old Remington 1100LT 20 gauge a few years ago from my sister. It looked like it had really been road hard and put up wet numerous times. Forend was splitting, someone had cut off stock for recoil pad, the put a spacer back in that was about 3/8" too narrow for either stock or recoil pad. When I got into it found the magazine follower plug( the piece covering the spring and forces shells to rear) had swelled and frozen in the magazine tube, and the sear had corroded and frozen. Finally found a nice stock and forend, the easy part, then got a Timney adjustable sear, which gave it a nice trigger pull, then soaked and pounded out that old magazine follower and smoothed out the inside of the tube and installed a stainless steel magazine follower. Touched up the 45 year old blueing, did not try to make it look new, and lastly got a new barrel that takes interchangeable choke tubes. Made for a nice winter project.

Coltrevolver was correct, The body looks to be in really good shape though. Hope your coil spring spacer doesn't fall out when he unloads the the suspention to swap out that ball joint lol..

FarmerTan

As a child big time vacation events often included a weekend drive and of course as the eldest son I helped dad prep for the trips. Common things that were added even for day trips would include a fan belt, a second spare tire, a puncture kit and hand pump, distributor cap & rotor with plug wires and plugs, two bottles of recycled oil and a headlamp. And I can also remember when we actually needed to use some of those items on most every trip.

Each of us kids had to show we could handle most common road-side repair issues before we were allowed to drive on our own. Even the girls learned to change tires on their own, replace plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, tighten a loose fan belt and replace a broken fan belt, replace a headlamp or tail light bulb, wipers or even a wiper arm.

By the way, we also learned to drive backwards. Dad made us learn to drive all around the neighborhood in reverse, stopping, starting, making turns, dealing with hills and always with a manual transmission three on the column. Only when we showed we could maintain lane position and start/stop control we we allowed to turn around in the seat and drive forwards. Man, going forward so much easier.
Too bad more folks don't do this with their kids! My Dad sounds a lot like yours. I have had my son out in the fields driving my stick shift vehicles since he was too young to be on the road. But he prefers an automatic. He also drives hundreds of miles a week, so I guess I'll let him slide, the punk!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've had good luck with my 'yotas. I've gotten over 250 K miles on two Avalons and a 4Runner. My Tundra just turned over 277K, I did have to redo the rack and pinion steering just recently though, but it's running fine for the most part with just routine maintenance.

My wife has had a series ofCorollas since 1990. My Tundra is 7 years and 135,000 miles old. Loved them all.

I made my kids change tires before allowing them to drive. Engines are so computerized now, you cannot do much else.

I had a Datsun that I had to keep a distributor cap and rotor for under the front seat. She’d buck like crazy and I’d pull over and change them. Then I drove to a parts store. Carbon tracking to cylinder one was always the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wolff Gunsprings tune up kit for Ruger SP-101 arrived.

Immediately I put the 10-pound mainspring in, dropping it from factory 14-pound. A lighter, smoother trigger feels great! (Kit comes with 9, 10 and 12-pound. Some report light primer hits with 9-pound).

Now the 8-pound trigger return spring might take a while. That job has 21 steps of disassembly!

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup, that spring change out makes all the difference in the world! The DA pull went from 14 lbs. down to about 9 and the SA pull from 5+ to about 3.5 lbs., roughly, IIRC.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Strange ripple effects.

As I think I've mentioned I've been trying to get a whole house standby generator installed for almost a year now. It took forever for the unit to even get shipped. But it's been installed and the electricians have done their part to set it up with the house and the plumber has installed, pressurized and tested to piping for natural gas and the city has inspected and approved the installation but the Natural Gas folk say it will likely be first of the year before they can install their piping and meter.

The problem is said to be staffing. It seems many of the crews have been sent to the areas affected by hurricanes to the east of me and to areas affected by fires to the north and west of me and some that remained are in quarantine for Covid-19 and so new service like elective surgery has been moved to the far end of the line.

But surprisingly, I find that really comforting. Yep; get them what are without power back online first and as long as I get up and running before the next major storm season all is well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yup, that spring change out makes all the difference in the world! The DA pull went from 14 lbs. down to about 9 and the SA pull from 5+ to about 3.5 lbs., roughly, IIRC.

Nice! Did you do the trigger return spring too?

I ask, because I'm not sure I need it. Don't we want a strong trigger return push?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Strange ripple effects.

As I think I've mentioned I've been trying to get a whole house standby generator installed for almost a year now. It took forever for the unit to even get shipped. But it's been installed and the electricians have done their part to set it up with the house and the plumber has installed, pressurized and tested to piping for natural gas and the city has inspected and approved the installation but the Natural Gas folk say it will likely be first of the year before they can install their piping and meter.

The problem is said to be staffing. It seems many of the crews have been sent to the areas affected by hurricanes to the east of me and to areas affected by fires to the north and west of me and some that remained are in quarantine for Covid-19 and so new service like elective surgery has been moved to the far end of the line.

But surprisingly, I find that really comforting. Yep; get them what are without power back online first and as long as I get up and running before the next major storm season all is well.

After last month's hurricane, I ordered a 2000-watt power inverter on Prime Day. Now, I believe, I can run my fridge off the 12volt battery bank. At least my neighbor does with his 2000-watt inverter.

We can't get natural gas here, and I hate storing gasoline. I prefer to solve our modest power issues with marine/AGM batteries and solar panels.

Cause we got another storm coming ... that makes about five this year. But hey, we're grateful; only one direct hit.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice! Did you do the trigger return spring too?

I ask, because I'm not sure I need it. Don't we want a strong trigger return push?

AA
I believe I did. I was contemplating putting the stock trigger return spring back in, see my post about the replacement grips for the SP 101 where I documented my spring change. When dry firing and slowly letting the trigger return forward, it seemed to "catch", for lack of a better word. But it doesn't really happen under normal trigger movement. Not sure it's worth the effort to put the stock spring back in. I was wondering if it would improve things, but it has really turned into a non issue in actual use.

Top Bottom