What's new

Shooting film on the cheap?

Hello all, I recently posted a thread about getting into DSLR on a low budget. I received great feedback, but I'm going to take it slow and save up as I am a family man and have other priorities that must come ahead of my hobbies. I do have my fathers Canon AL-1 that I have been shooting with for a while and was wondering of ways that I can continue shooting film, but at minimal cost. I know there is home developing, but this seems finicky as well as I would have to acquire a scanner and post-processing software to actually enjoy my shots. The other option is to send the film off for developing, in which I can get the scans in an email as well as prints. So, I was just wondering: What are your recommendations for shooting film on a budget?

Way back when, I used to buy bulk roll film and roll my own cans of film. It was a way to save on the initial cost of film. It’s pretty easy to do and imagine you could find a low cost bulk film loader and cans on that auction site. I had an old “Lloyd” brand that I loved, liked it more than the newer larger clunkier loaders. I also used to process the film, then send out for prints, that requires more hardware and chemicals though.

If you do bulk load, just remember you buying a bunch of single ISO film.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I still shoot film from 35mm to 4x5. I suggest shooting traditional black and white film and developing it yourself. You don't need a darkroom if you don't optically print. A film tank can be loaded in a dark bag, then all processing can be done in room light. Scanned negs can be digitally printed. Traditional (not C41) black and white film processes haven't changed in 100 years. Short learning curve, google is your friend.
I see you're in USA, check out freestyle photo dot biz for chems and film. Check out thrift stores for used film developing tanks before buying new.
I find shooting film much more interesting and fun compared to digital. Enjoy!

God bless my wife, she’s a darling saint. She knows I like photography, specifically film as that’s what I was taught on and I’ve been using my fathers AV-1 for the past year or so. I’ve been talking alot about photography and maybe getting a dslr lately and apparently she noticed, so she got me a little something. Not a dslr, even better - analog, baby! So here is my Christmas present this year!
FCF4E7BC-2E5F-4EAE-AB34-D2002B6ECD9E.png

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Way back when, I used to buy bulk roll film and roll my own cans of film. It was a way to save on the initial cost of film. It’s pretty easy to do and imagine you could find a low cost bulk film loader and cans on that auction site. I had an old “Lloyd” brand that I loved, liked it more than the newer larger clunkier loaders. I also used to process the film, then send out for prints, that requires more hardware and chemicals though.

If you do bulk load, just remember you buying a bunch of single ISO film.

Hope that helps.
This is what we did in high school. It really brings film price down.

I've been shooting 35 mm film for about two years now. One thing to keep in mind is that you will not take as many photos on film as you do on digital. If you are going to an event where you think you will take a lot of shots like a family event, bring a digital camera along with your film camera. Not all shots have to be film.

I develop my own black and white film and scan it. The monetary cost is low, but there is a time investment. But it is satisfying. If you look online you will generally read you need to purchase 4 things for the process: developer, stop, fixer, and a cleaner like photoflow (sp?) to finish it off to get spotless negatives (to repel the water spots off the negative before you hang them up to dry).

Well, I quickly realized that all you need is the developer and the fixer. To stop the development I just use water. So save some money if you try to develop yourself. Get some Rodinal developer and some fixer and you are good to go. I just give my negatives a quick once over with a damp sponge when I hang them to dry, and there are no water spots.

I don't develop colour film at home, and so rarely use it. I realized that the chemicals you buy for it are about $50 (in Canada, where I live), and develop 5 rolls. It is about $10 per roll for development at a nearby camera store. So I'll just let them do it.

My local camera store has a program where you pay $20 per year. This gets you one free roll of film, plus 25 percent off any Kodak film after than, and 10 percent of other brands. Plus all chemicals and services are also discounted 10 percent. So check if there is anything like that in your area too.

That is a great present from your wife, buy the way! Make great use of it!

Bulk loading can save quite a bit of money, but if you send the cassettes off, they likely won’t come back, this diminishinthe savings. Check out HP5 in 36 frame rolls and 100’ rolls. Figure 20 rolls per 100’ bulk roll. There are also cheaper films than HP5 that can be had in bulk rolls. Tri-X costs kore to bulk roll :(

You can do B&W 135-36 and with minimal "bits" you can process the film.

I've seen complete dev setups at thrift stores (complete with chemicals) for around $5.

proxy.php

Once you have your negs, you can have them scanned at a number of local locations (check walmart).

You can print from your computer.

If you want to do wet processes printing, it gets complicated but a lot more fun.

My "home" darkroom

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've seen complete dev setups at thrift stores (complete with chemicals) for around $5.

proxy.php

Once you have your negs, you can have them scanned at a number of local locations (check walmart).

If you want to do wet processes printing, it gets complicated but a lot more fun.

My "home" darkroom

proxy.php

proxy.php
Very cool home darkroom!

I'm of no help to you. I didn't really get into the hobby until the digital age. Just wanted to say congrats on the new kit and enjoy the journey! :thumbup:

I'm of no help to you. I didn't really get into the hobby until the digital age. Just wanted to say congrats on the new kit and enjoy the journey! :thumbup:
Thanks, your encouragement is a great help. Though I do like the convenience of digital photography, I still prefer analog and all it's "character."

Thanks, your encouragement is a great help. Though I do like the convenience of digital photography, I still prefer analog and all it's "character."
I like the idea of analog too, and have played around a bit with adapting old lenses to my body. I even have a Minolta Body that I bought for the lenses with the kit, so i'll be watching this thread with interest. If it really ids doable on the cheap maybe I'll have to give it a go too.

proxy.php

My "home" darkroom

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice darkroom. I use a beseler 45 too. Solid tank of an enlarger.
I had a Beseler 23C with a colour head as well. Sold it when I stopped printing colour.

Very nice darkroom. I use a beseler 45 too. Solid tank of an enlarger.
I had a Beseler 23C with a colour head as well. Sold it when I stopped printing colour.

That one is a CB-7 Bit larger glass and head then the 45.

Pic with CB- COLD LIGHT head

proxy.php

Sent-off my first roll, shot through the (new to me) AE-1 Program, to "thedarkroom.com." They have a good rep, and I have been so busy with work and university that now is not the time for me to undertake home developing. In the future I do plan to start bulk-loading, and even further down the road I would like to home develop and scan my own negs (at least for B&W).

Top Bottom