What's new

Shipping Shaving gear around the world

@Gabor the last time I was back in NZ I was both shocked and appalled at how expensive everything was. Especially the price of locally grown food (why can I buy NZ Lamb and wine cheaper in Dublin than I can buy it in Wellington). It can't be the domestic shipping.

I was looking to send a small package to my niece in NZ for her birthday buy the postage was going to be 3 times the value of the goods. I guess I'll wait for NZ to open the border again and take it down and deliver it personally.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Same here
But I thought for sure you would use a straight for nose hair removal. 😁
I do. The Gold Dollar W59 is just perfect for the job, as well as for shaving inside of the ear canals.

IMG_20200609_113826.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
@Gabor the last time I was back in NZ I was both shocked and appalled at how expensive everything was. Especially the price of locally grown food (why can I buy NZ Lamb and wine cheaper in Dublin than I can buy it in Wellington). It can't be the domestic shipping.

I was looking to send a small package to my niece in NZ for her birthday buy the postage was going to be 3 times the value of the goods. I guess I'll wait for NZ to open the border again and take it down and deliver it personally.
I can buy New Zealand lamb cheaper in Wales than Welsh lamb and no doubt Welsh lamb is cheaper in New Zealand than the local lamb. Fruit from all over the world is cheaper in Wales than British fruit. Seemingly in many countries local produce is more expensive than imported, often in both directions; makes me wonder if we are being played.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Shipping can be a problem. You also have to be careful about local vendors who offer the same product with free shipping. I just checked a couple of vendors who offer MdC with free shipping - but the free shipping is actually $25. I get it cheaper than that direct from France.

But as much as I dislike paying for shipping, it would not stop me from using my favorite soap (although I would still complain about it).

Well I live in Europe, and shipping costs prohibit me from having nice things :crying: okay I can get some nice things from European vendors, there is good soap production in Europe too and they stock more and more American products every year too.
But yeah it sukcs when you'd like to purchase a 5$ puck and shipping is 40$, then I just drop everything and go cry

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Here is how the international postal system works in most countries (not the USA). The origin country's postal system covers only the cost of shipping to the destination country. Once the article is received in the destination country, that destination country is responsible for final delivery to the addressee at no further cost to the shipper or origin country's postal service.

Th is is an international agreement between postal services. My understanding is that the USA pulled out of this agreement 3 or 4 years ago.

China still have about the cheapest international shipping (postal) to most countries.

As for shipping by sea, the shipping charges per container have skyrocketed over the past year or so. Great for the struggling sea-freight industry.
The US treats China as an emerging economy which reduces shipping costs. This should absolutely stop.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If all else fails, I found this at the local pharmacy. Let’s hope that it doesn’t come to that. I had the ‘pleasure’ of finally smelling this one first hand. It was awful.

View attachment 1335655
In order to fully enjoy Arko, buy the Nad's nose wax kit, follow the enclosed directions, and sniff deeply of the goodness that is Arko, with the blessed assurance that no excess hair is blocking your olfactory nerves from that wonderful scent!

There was method to this shopkeeper's madness!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The US treats China as an emerging economy which reduces shipping costs. ....
Please explain how this is so?

Does the US somehow sibsidise shipping costs of exports from China? I think you will find that it is China who is subsidising the shipping costs of its exports. Many countries do this for their own exports (sometimes selectively), hence NZ lamb can be cheaper outside of NZ than within, etc..

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Please explain how this is so?

Does the US somehow sibsidise shipping costs of exports from China? I think you will find that it is China who is subsidising the shipping costs of its exports. Many countries do this for their own exports (sometimes selectively), hence NZ lamb can be cheaper outside of NZ than within, etc..
They have a special status that really shouldn’t apply since they are no longer
“emerging”. I’ve never sent anything to China so I don’t know it the postage is in the reverse. It doesn’t seem our Postal System gets anything out of it for in country routing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... It doesn’t seem our Postal System gets anything out of it for in country routing.
That was the idea of the international postal agreement that all countries (except the US now) agreed to. As the US pulled out of the agreement because they presumed that there was nothing in it for them, the cost of international postage both into and out of the US is now much higher. This means that importing and exporting small items into and out of the US is now more expensive.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I can buy New Zealand lamb cheaper in Wales than Welsh lamb and no doubt Welsh lamb is cheaper in New Zealand than the local lamb. Fruit from all over the world is cheaper in Wales than British fruit. Seemingly in many countries local produce is more expensive than imported, often in both directions; makes me wonder if we are being played.
I hear you.

Seemingly in many countries local produce is more expensive than imported, often in both directions; makes me wonder if we are being played.
Fortunately Irish meat is reasonably priced in Ireland. Not always the cheapest, but still good value. Irish fruit and veg is reasonable when in season, but is still undercut by imports.

As for your last point, of course we're being played. It reminds me of something I heard a long time ago... The only place you won't find a fiddle is in a brass band.

I live in India and face similar situations as you when it comes to the shipping costs especially from individual artisans.

Purchasing one or two soaps is not cost effective and placing order for more will attract higher delivery costs depending upon the weight.

For many people tracking is not paramount and they are OK with it but I've experienced that chances of getting the items safely delivered without tracking are slim.

So I choose tracking whenever possible, most of the time it ends up being too much and I have to drop the plan of purchasing entirely.

Many sellers (multibrand and artisans as well) don't deliver their products to my country due to the hassle and increased cost of delivery.

Add to the cost of shipping and items, I have to pay import duties (44% and higher), so getting anything from other countries is basically a super expensive affair from beginning to end.

To put this into perspective :

A $13.50 Stirling soap ends up costing me $22.

I have exactly the same problem. India is exceptionally expensive to import into.

Besides shipping, import duties somehow double the cost of the consignment.

Last edited:
Odd response from the USA, it makes no sense why the Feds would impact their own export industry. Australian can still ship to USA without any problems except usual delays.

Top Bottom