What's new

Shaving your Head?

Carefully, as I took a chunk out of the back of my head this morning:cursing:

Seriously, it's not difficult with a little practice.

I shave in the shower with a Mach 3. To shave the back, you change your grip so you can shave with the grain when you reach around behind your head.

I use my right hand to hold the razor and run my left hand over the shaved area to feel where I need to make another pass.

Actually shaved my head a little while ago. My head shaving kit (minus the tub of Shea butter) ...

proxy.php

I shave ATG (DE), it's difficult to get all the area's around the bump at the back and easy to slice yourself, so i often finish up with a cartridge. If i'm in a rush I dont't use the DE. Si

I am new to DE face shaving, and agree with everything about it.

Head shaving, however, has greatly benefited from technology. I know you have heard about it, but I am going to put my 2 cents in for the Headblade.

Took me a week or two to get it down, but once I got the hang of it, I could shave my head in the shower in less then 5 minutes.

I also started with the most expensive blades for it (the Sensor 3 blades), but recently picked up a cheap(er) pack of 2 blade cartridges (forget if it was the plain sensors, or Atras) and the cheap 2 blades cut 10 times better then the 3 blades.

For me, the ease, comfort, and lack of nicks I get from my headblade out weigh the cool factor and nostalgia of using a DE on the dome.

YMMV

I am new to DE face shaving, and agree with everything about it.

Head shaving, however, has greatly benefited from technology. I know you have heard about it, but I am going to put my 2 cents in for the Headblade.

Took me a week or two to get it down, but once I got the hang of it, I could shave my head in the shower in less then 5 minutes.

I also started with the most expensive blades for it (the Sensor 3 blades), but recently picked up a cheap(er) pack of 2 blade cartridges (forget if it was the plain sensors, or Atras) and the cheap 2 blades cut 10 times better then the 3 blades.

For me, the ease, comfort, and lack of nicks I get from my headblade out weigh the cool factor and nostalgia of using a DE on the dome.

YMMV

I migrated the other way. I started with a headblade. It seemed more natural, but ended up cutting my self regularly until I learned a light touch. Soon after, I started shaving my face with a DE and started using the DE on the top and side of my head, but the headblade on the back of my head. I slowly gained more and more ground with the DE until one day I finished my whole head with the DE.

I always seemed to leave stripes of stubble that were not really visible, but I could feel when using the headblade. With the DE it is easier to change my grip and make two passes (WTG and XTG) and get a smother shave. The real motivation was to simplify things and not have to use two razors in one session.

Either method, take your time and use light pressure.

I have three problems with the head blade (and yes, I've used it)

Clogging - Since it uses a two blade cartridge, after a couple of swipes, it needed a de-clogging with a piece of thin cardboard or toothpick. Yes the shave took 5 minutes, but another 5 was spent cleaning the cartridge for the next shave. DE's never clog and all it takes to get it clean is a little swish under running water.

Frequency of use - If you shave your head daily or every other day, the Head Blade is a no brainer. I usually shave every week or sometimes every other week. If you allow your hair to grow a bit before shaving, you need to first trim your hair with an electric trimmer before using the head blade. With a DE, I can shave my head even if its a bit beyond the stubble phase.

Cost - Using a DE, I can recycle blades. DE blades that are too dull for the face are percfect for head shaving. No need to buy cartridges. If I need to do touchups, I use a BIC Metal.

As I've said before, I got into DE face shaving in reverse. I started using a DE on my head, then figured out how to use it on my face. Believe it or not, its easier to shave your head with a De than your face.

I also use the Headblade. It takes a few times to get used to it but I now do a WTG and ATG pass and can't feel a hair on my head. When shaving the back of my head I usually just go by touch.

i've been DE shaving my face for a month now and just did my second DE headshave with Taylor's Avocado.

never tried headblade but i've seen it and have always found it to be a bit gimmicky--for the two years i've been shaving my head i was using the Fusion with great results. HOWEVER, we're talking about WTG, never had the courage to go XTG; my skin is sensitive and the one time i used a panasonic electric shaver the back of my head was loaded with ingrowns. the same applied to my face until i began DE shaving.

i'm not quite at the point where i feel comfortable attempting XTG on my head with the DE yet, although the XTG results on my face have been spectacular. i can't wait for my scalp to fall in love with wet shaving the same way my face has.

:dots: for those that do XTG on their head--any special routine? which razor? which blade? cream? etc...? suggestions would be much appreciated...

:dots: for those that do XTG on their head--any special routine? which razor? which blade? cream? etc...? suggestions would be much appreciated...

Just re-use the blades that are too dull for your face to do your head. Same soap, same brush, same razor (for the most part ... see pic)

Just re-use the blades that are too dull for your face to do your head. Same soap, same brush, same razor (for the most part ... see pic)

just out of curiosity, what is your setup? i am still using the "recommended beginner's kit" of a Merkur HD and Derby Express blades so i'm looking for other options that have worked for fellow headshavers...

just out of curiosity, what is your setup? i am still using the "recommended beginner's kit" of a Merkur HD and Derby Express blades so i'm looking for other options that have worked for fellow headshavers...

That'll work.

You can pretty much use any DE that has a safety bar to shave your head. Just follow your same prep / technique that you do for a face shave (hydrate hair, light no pressure strokes, etc) and (most importantly) use a dulled blade.

If you use a fresh blade on your head with a DE you will slice yourself up pretty good. I use a small Gillette travel razor (Gillette Tech w/ a short handle) for head shaving (see pic) and every time I replace the blade in my DE, rather than throw it out, I put it in my little dedicated head shaving razor. Before I got the second razor, I stored the old face blades in an empty little container.

Lou,

I took your advice on using the duller blades for my head. And I broke my vow about buying new stuff and bought a little traveler on eBay for my head. (I'll also be able to take it on the road when I go out of town).

Lou,

I took your advice on using the duller blades for my head. And I broke my vow about buying new stuff and bought a little traveler on eBay for my head. (I'll also be able to take it on the road when I go out of town).

So how did the head shave with the dulled blades go?

I switched a few weeks ago to my DE for my head as well. cartridge razors clogging is the biggest factor that made me switch over, no matter how hard i try i cant clog up my super speed! I need to tryout the dull blades.

been shaving my bonce for a few years now.i recently bought an outdoor sauna.this is where i shave my head.to scared to use my d/e.so fusion it is.this is truely bbs.any body get chance or has allready done this will tell you no creams no soaps.just sweat and a nice cold shower after:wink:

+1 with Lou.

Going to be taking the plunge myself soon. I figure I'll jump into the deep end with a Tech and a several shaves old Derby.

Top Bottom