What's new

How do you like your shaving soap?

In the beginning I mainly used croaps from a handful of artisans. That is what is in most of my hoard boxes. Now I don't really care for them. I like creams in tubes like Proraso or Lavanda, hard pucks in discontinued bases, and Martin de Candre in a jar. Also What the Puck Green and Black.
So which do you prefer, pucks or creams?

I started using creams and had no issue with them at all. Now I mostly use hard pucks, and I grab a cream once in a blue moon. I've never tried croaps or sticks so can't comment on those.

The short answer is that I enjoy all the consistencies.

The longer answer is quality and formulation are higher priority than consistency for me. All else being equal, I like hard pucks. However, most of my soaps are softer soaps simply because that's where most of the S tier base formulations are.

If there was a hard soap that could go toe to toe with Omnibus, Kairos, K2E or Kodiak, I'd buy it exclusively.

I don’t have a real strong preference. As long as I can get a nice lather without spending to much time.

But I’d have to say that I use shave sticks the most of the 4. So that would be my pick.

Pucks and sticks. Good sticks have been pucked for the house, and good pucks have been sticked for travel.

And I’ve had decent crisps, it don’t stick them anymore

I like soap and creams, no real preference.
Lots of times I use canned foam as well. In my experience, they all perform equally well.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have more hard soaps and croaps, so there is a tendency to use them more frequently. Lately I’ve enjoyed adding some quality creams into the mix. I like them all, with shave sticks being the exception, not a fan.

Soaps and Croaps with a boar brush.

Top picks are Stirling (mutton tallow line), Maggards, Chiseled Face, Ariana and Evans. I have two samples of MdC, probably the hardest of all, I will be playing with soon.

I like hard soap, cream/croaps. I like a hard soaps for the performance/slickness(SV and PdD #63 are my top hard soaps. I don't like lathering on the soaps anymore and hard soap makes it a little more tough to carve some off and a little harder to work up a lather with.

I also like creams and croaps because I can either squeeze out of a tube or use my finger to pull some from a tub to put in my scuttle or shave bowl. Lathering is easier since it is softer but performance/slickness isn't quite on par with the hard soaps I have.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like soap and creams, no real preference.
Lots of times I use canned foam as well. In my experience, they all perform equally well.
Me too. Mostly I like soap and cream at home because it's hard for canned to equal it. On the road. Canned or in my case tubed is perfectly fine.

Some of the Nivea gel rivals some of the soaps and creams I have. Jack Black Bear Lube is really good. Used that and a EJ DE-89 on vacation last November and didn't miss lathering with a brush at all.

I do however hate "doing the dishes" which is my way of saying washing out a lathering vessel if you used one, rinsing the brush etc.

I think @FarmerTan has the best approach. Plant that sumbitch boar upside down in the mug on top to the puck unrinsed when you are done. In the words of Seargeant Hartman "sound off like you have a pair".

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Me too. Mostly I like soap and cream at home because it's hard for canned to equal it. On the road. Canned or in my case tubed is perfectly fine.

Some of the Nivea gel rivals some of the soaps and creams I have. Jack Black Bear Lube is really good. Used that and a EJ DE-89 on vacation last November and didn't miss lathering with a brush at all.

I do however hate "doing the dishes" which is my way of saying washing out a lathering vessel if you used one, rinsing the brush etc.

I think @FarmerTan has the best approach. Plant that sumbitch boar upside down in the mug on top to the puck unrinsed when you are done. In the words of Seargeant Hartman "sound off like you have a pair".
There is SO much I'd like to say about the pair, lol. I just home from being in the hospital since my birthday due to acute kidney failure. I gained 7 pounds in 3 days! Not good for a heart patient! But I knew something was up when I was getting swollen up all over! You'd think a retired nurse would have been aware of what was happening in his own body!

I've been shower shaving since winter with cheap hand soap! Tomorrow will be different. 5 day old man beard is danged ugly!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There is SO much I'd like to say about the pair, lol. I just home from being in the hospital since my birthday due to acute kidney failure. I gained 7 pounds in 3 days! Not good for a heart patient! But I knew something was up when I was getting swollen up all over! You'd think a retired nurse would have been aware of what was happening in his own body!

I've been shower shaving since winter with cheap hand soap! Tomorrow will be different. 5 day old man beard is danged ugly!
Sorry to hear that. My mom had heart failure a couple of years ago and the heart and the kidney's are buddies for sure. Her kidney's were plenty pissed at the heart's shortcomings, but the heart stuff had to be resolved for the kidneys to be resolved. She too had a ton of water. She ended up with the best possible outcome and is doing quite well these days.

I wish the same for you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry to hear that. My mom had heart failure a couple of years ago and the heart and the kidney's are buddies for sure. Her kidney's were plenty pissed at the heart's shortcomings, but the heart stuff had to be resolved for the kidneys to be resolved. She too had a ton of water. She ended up with the best possible outcome and is doing quite well these days.

I wish the same for you.
Thank you my friend. I lost 3 pounds overnight, and am going to see my doctor today. I'll keep you posted.

All else being equal, hard puck...but I've yet to find an S tier hard puck. SV is the closest thing. If a hard puck acted acted the way Omnibus does, I'd buy nothing else.

Ultimately, i don't really care so long as I can tub load.

Top Bottom