What's new

Shaving Soap and Skin

Well,i just wanted to thank you all again for your help.
I shaved with the T&H luxury soap this morning,and all i can say is wow:smile:
I thought i would have trouble getting good lather at first,well it turned out to be no trouble at all.

I got a wonderful,thick creamy lather very easily with just 10 swirls on the soap and 15 in a bowl and had enough for 4 passes.
My skin felt nice and clean after the shave,without any dryness or redness,although i wouldn't say the soap was moisturizing.
And finally i found that the shave was noticeably closer than with the high end creams i had been using.

So thanks again and if the other good shaving soaps compare to this one I think i might switch to shaving soaps only.

And finally i found that the shave was noticeably closer than with the high end creams i had been using.

This is why I prefer soaps over creams... there is such a thing as a lather with too much cushion, and shave creams tend to lean in this direction for me. In my experience, shave soaps have the perfect amount of cushion and slickness which provides for a closer shave.

This is one soap that I've never tried, but am very interested in. If you like soaps, I'd put tabac on your list to try. Glad your shave went well.

Steve

Well,i just wanted to thank you all again for your help.
I shaved with the T&H luxury soap this morning,and all i can say is wow:smile:
I thought i would have trouble getting good lather at first,well it turned out to be no trouble at all.

I got a wonderful,thick creamy lather very easily with just 10 swirls on the soap and 15 in a bowl and had enough for 4 passes.
My skin felt nice and clean after the shave,without any dryness or redness,although i wouldn't say the soap was moisturizing.

So thanks again and if the other good shaving soaps compare to this one I think i might switch to shaving soaps only.

Since i started wetshaving over a year ago i have only used shaving creams.
I happen to have very sensitive skin and i find that my favorite creams such as TOBS Almond and Rose,KMF fragrance free,etc...do a fine job with regards to the health of my skin.

But i must admit that i would really like to try some good shaving soaps.I have a shop 5 minutes form where i live that sells everything shaving soap from DR Harris to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap to all the Trumper soaps.

My question is since i have such sensitive skin,will shaving soaps provide the same level of comfort as good shaving creams?
Are they very drying or can they be quite moisturizing?

Thank you in advance for any help you could give me.

I brought the following Post over from another Thread.

I've tried a couple of top notch creams and soaps and I still would get some razor burn and even some razor bumps on my neck (not ingrown hairs). This was even by following all the advice of preparing my face "for the shave", and holding the razor handle at its middle so there was almost no pressure with the razor stroke. I sometimes did not get a really close shave because I didn't want any razor burn or as little as I could get away with. Now - I don't need to do any preparation of my face/beard prior to shaving and I don't get any razor burn or bumps on my neck since I started using a hand made soap called, Wild Carrot Complexion Soap, from A Wild Soap Bar, http://www.awildsoapbar.com/product.asp?productid=413473. Hand made soap has lots of natural glycerin in it. This particular soap contains a lot of olive oil and it also has shea butter and goat milk in it (see ingredients below). I have no need to put anything on my face after the shave (except water - filtered of course) because the shea butter absorbs into my skin and keeps my face moisturized. It is really easy to make lather from this soap and loads of it. The end result is Baby Butt Smooth and Baby Butt Soft.

Our creamy ultra moisturizing Wild Carrot Complexion Soap contains wild African shea butter, goat milk, wild carrot extracts, and a therapeutic blend of anti-aging essential oils. Ingredients: saponified cold pressed olive oil, coconut oil, wild shea butter, and castor oil, distilled water, goat milk, essential oils (fennel, carrot seed, frankincense, palmarosa, benzoin, rose geranium), wild carrot herb and root, organic oats, and sea salt.​
This is now the only product that I use for shaving because its performance is "Bravo! Bravo!". I found this soap to be so good, that I not only shave with it, I also use it to shower and shampoo with (no conditioner or creme rinse necessary). The cost is $5.50 to $6.00 (depending on where you get it) for a 4 oz. bar. You can order this soap on-line, or it can be gotten at Whole Foods. If Whole Foods does not carry this particular one in the store, it can be ordered for you through their store. They will usually pay the shipping cost which saves you some money. I order a case of twelve from Whole Foods and get a 10% case discount, plus they pay for the shipping.:thumbsup:

This soap comes in the shape of a regular bar of soap, so I mill it in my Mini Cuisinart and press it into a bowl. The Cuisinart makes milling the soap easy and fast (I cut the soap into about eight chunks prior to putting it into the Cuisinart). You will see here on B&B that some of the members mill their soap with a cheese grater, or melt their soaps on the stove top, in a double boiler, or in the microwave so they can fit the soap into a specific bowl or other container. The above soap is made by the cold process method and therefore I didn't want to heat it.

If you try this soap, you may also find that you don't want to use anything else; or you may find that you use other products but compare them to this soap.:001_tt1:

Top Bottom