What's new

Shaving Soap and Skin

Since i started wetshaving over a year ago i have only used shaving creams.
I happen to have very sensitive skin and i find that my favorite creams such as TOBS Almond and Rose,KMF fragrance free,etc...do a fine job with regards to the health of my skin.

But i must admit that i would really like to try some good shaving soaps.I have a shop 5 minutes form where i live that sells everything shaving soap from DR Harris to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap to all the Trumper soaps.

My question is since i have such sensitive skin,will shaving soaps provide the same level of comfort as good shaving creams?
Are they very drying or can they be quite moisturizing?

Thank you in advance for any help you could give me.

I have very sensitive skin and have really enjoyed using Tabac and D.R. Harris Almond soaps. I, too, was afraid they would dry the skin but have found that they don't and are not at all irritating. In fact, I now prefer them to creams. I plan to get a few more (D.R. Harris Arlington, Spieck, Mitchell's Wool Fat) when I can justify spending the $$.

I have senstive skin and have moved on the soaps almost exclusively.

I find many soaps better in every way, especially in providing more comfort.

However, in my experience soaps by harris and trumpers perform almost the same as the creams. Maybe they can be mixed richer amd the scent is stronger, but on all other accounts they behave alike. I was surprised to find this out because I have purchased many of each and expected much more from those brand of soaps. The upside is the soaps last much longer. Many might disagree and say that the Harris is a superior soap, but I did not discover that after using them. (flames begin)

I think you find some soaps, especially those near you, that will treat you even better than your favorite creams.

(have not tried penhaligons so I can't comment on it)

Hey there and welcome to B&B. I also have a very sensitive face and have had wonderful success with Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap. I haven't tried too many creams or soaps for that matter, but the discussion in the reviews section seems to be pretty favorable regarding this soap. Good luck.

My question is since i have such sensitive skin,will shaving soaps provide the same level of comfort as good shaving creams?
Are they very drying or can they be quite moisturizing?

Thank you in advance for any help you could give me.

Yes a good soap should be just as moisturizing and comfortable, if not more so, particularly since you have sensitive skin. Unless you are sensitive to a particular ingredient in a specific soap, in which case you could try another.

Some soaps that I recommend for sensitive skin, in the order I would recommend trying them:
Harris -- would try Almond first, and then Arlington
T+H -- only one option here, Luxury
L'Occitane -- only one option here, Cade
De Vergulde -- only one option here, Hand

Best of luck.

J

Here's another recommendation for Tabac, Harris Almond, and Mitchell's Wool Fat. They are excellent soaps, provide nice cushion are are moisturizing. Cade is also an excellent soap but some find it drying. Another excellent soap is Institute Karite though you probably can't find that at the shop.

This is a pretty big generalization, so take it for what it's worth, but it seems to me that guys with sensitive skin have better luck with tallow-based soaps than the glycerin/vegetable-based ones. I have only tried the tallow soaps so I can't opine on the others, but that's the sense I get from reading the posts.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and answers.I think i'll head over to the shop tomorrow and get a "few" soaps :blush:
I think i can justify the expense by pretending im helping to stimulate the economy!

I forgot to ask earlier,i know an Art of Shaving shop nearby,and i must admit i love their creams,but i happened to notice the other other day that they also make shaving soaps.
Do their shaving soaps have a good reputation?

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and answers.I think i'll head over to the shop tomorrow and get a "few" soaps :blush:
I think i can justify the expense by pretending im helping to stimulate the economy!

exactly!:biggrin: Great thinking!

Yes, the Art of Shaving soaps are excellent in performance (reputedly they are made by the company that makes Valobra), but they are also very very pricey compared to some of the other recommendations.

Since this is your first foray into soaps, I would recommend starting with the less expensive options, and work your way up as necessary. Plenty of experimentation to be had once you decide if you like soaps!

Regards.

J

I'm going to throw out another recommendation for Tabac, its one of the easiest to lather, has a great smell, and is very pleasant and cushioning.

I almost regret trading my spare puck for Mitchell's wool fat as I've yet to get a decent lather out of it, though I know it can be done.

Some soaps that I recommend for sensitive skin, in the order I would recommend trying them:
Harris -- would try Almond first, and then Arlington

Do you think the Almond is signifcantly better for sensitive skin than the Arlington? I recently got the Almond because the store I go to was out of the Arlington stick at the time. Did I luck into the better product for sensitive skin?

Thanks.

Do you think the Almond is signifcantly better for sensitive skin than the Arlington? I recently got the Almond because the store I go to was out of the Arlington stick at the time. Did I luck into the better product for sensitive skin?

Thanks.

Ah... well, I PERSONALLY have no issue with Arlington, and it's my favorite scent. But I have heard tell of some folks having an issue with Arlington, which is why I suggested trying the Almond first. The Arlington is definitely a more complex scent, so it may very well have more ingredients, increasing the likelihood of sensitivity.

I think if the Almond does work for you, you won't want to stop there :smile:

Best of luck.

J

I have a shop 5 minutes form where i live that sells everything shaving soap from DR Harris to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap to all the Trumper soaps.

Where do you live!!!???! We all want to live there!!!:lol:

To answer your question, you may want to give 'De Vergulde Hand' SS a try.

Thank you all very much for your help.I went to the shop today and bought the Truefitt and Hill Luxury shaving soap in the wooden bowl.
I can't wait to give it a try tomorrow morning.If it works out well I can see many more shaving soaps in my future!

Top Bottom