What's new

Shaving Soap Acquisitions

Long rifle Hunt Lodge shave and bar soap.
captains choice bay rum shave soap (sample)
maggard tobacco and leather shave soap (sample)
maggard barbershop shave soap (sample)
Henri et Victoria cognac and cuban cigar (the scent of this is amazing) (sample)
Geo F. Trumper Spanish leather Shaving Cream (sample)

E9D49340-C738-42F0-A4BF-A1E5E316E010.jpeg
Mail box full of Wholly Kaw samples!!

These came in last night. Had to be stealthy about opening the package. Wife asked "What's in the packages?" One was some parts for the stove so I said as much. She said what's in the other one? I said, I don't know. I don't think well on my feet. Now that I've opened it up I can say that it was a razor and brush stand I bought for our son. That is true in that the stand was delivered a couple of days earlier but she doesn't know about it yet. I have way too much stuff from my wife's perspective, hence the need to be very discreet if not downright dishonest. I can't wait to try each one. I think I'll try the Amber Vanille first since it is such a departure from my typical scents. The two black containers came empty and I stuck two Stirling samples that I have had for a while in them. That means I have 5 new soaps to try. Well, I've gone through a sample of the Stirling Barbershop already so that scent isn't new. Yum.

View attachment 829404
I haven't finished reading this thread yet, but that Black Amber Vanilla sounds exquisite!! If you haven't already, post back with what you think of it!! If you have, disregard!

I haven't finished reading this thread yet, but that Black Amber Vanilla sounds exquisite!! If you haven't already, post back with what you think of it!! If you have, disregard!

I only used it once so far. For some strange reason, almost everything I buy and try for the first time gets a so so reaction from me. It is only after the second or even third use that I either love it or remains so so. There isn't much that I don't like. So, I'm going to have to use it again a couple of times to be able to give you my honest feedback on it.

I only used it once so far. For some strange reason, almost everything I buy and try for the first time gets a so so reaction from me. It is only after the second or even third use that I either love it or remains so so. There isn't much that I don't like. So, I'm going to have to use it again a couple of times to be able to give you my honest feedback on it.
Fair enough! I've had a few scents or soaps like that, so I know where you're coming from! Thanks!

Fair enough! I've had a few scents or soaps like that, so I know where you're coming from! Thanks!

OK. I just used it for the second time. It is pleasant and it works up a lather pretty easily. It is pretty slick but I think a little lacking in the cushion department. The scent is subtle, maybe a little too subtle for me. I suppose that is a characteristic of vanilla. I love the smell of vanilla but it is a subtle scent by nature. I used Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla splash after as well and would describe that scent as pretty subtle as well. So I guess, if you are looking for a pleasant subtle vanilla scent, WSP Rustic Amber Vanille is nice. I have not come across many vanilla shaving cream scents so I'll use the is up. And sometimes, over time smells and scents have a tendency to grow on me so who knows. I may grow to love this one. I do like it.

OK. I just used it for the second time. It is pleasant and it works up a lather pretty easily. It is pretty slick but I think a little lacking in the cushion department. The scent is subtle, maybe a little too subtle for me. I suppose that is a characteristic of vanilla. I love the smell of vanilla but it is a subtle scent by nature. I used Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla splash after as well and would describe that scent as pretty subtle as well. So I guess, if you are looking for a pleasant subtle vanilla scent, WSP Rustic Amber Vanille is nice. I have not come across many vanilla shaving cream scents so I'll use the is up. And sometimes, over time smells and scents have a tendency to grow on me so who knows. I may grow to love this one. I do like it.
I'm wearing the Clubman Vanilla today, but I never get much Vanilla aroma from it. The only other vanilla scent I have is B&M Night Music, and while I don't get much vanilla from the soap, it is very up front and in your face (no pun intended! ...OK, maybe it is!) in the aftershave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Unwrapped a new Lisa's, her Lavender.

Nice floral punch, with that same performance her others rock so well.

AA

IMG_1104.JPG

MenEssentials had a Zombie Sale of discontinued products and I snagged these for $5-10 a piece. Never tried them. Heard good things. Cheers.

I just ordered Rose Damascena Shave Soap from St. Charles Shave (pricey at $28/3.7oz, but it's fragrance is made with pure Rose Absolute. Found it in the "SCS - Limited" link:
Here's a description:
Rose Damascena Shave Soap - This Bulgarian Rose (rose otto) shave soap is made from 100% pure Bulgarian Rose Absolute. Rose Absolute is a solvent extracted from petals of the Bulgarian Rose. It takes approximately 60,000 rose petals to produce 1 drop of this precious oil.
It has just got to be great. I'll post as soon as I get it.
SCS-RoseDamascena.jpg

Mikey

I've got Barrister and Mann Cologne Russe on the way from Maggards. I have the aftershave, but it doesn't smell like the soap enough. It contains the same lingering chamomile smell that is also in the Seville aftershave. It's not surprising because chamomile is in both of their ingredients. I like it in Seville, but not Cologne Russe. I didn't want to accumulate more soap, but I said screw it. I love the castoreum leather note in the soap. I think it would go well with classic English Leather. My dad has almost a full bottle that's been laying around longer than I've been alive and they smell almost the same.

I need to give Cologne Russe aftershave some credit. It smells more like the fragrance description--a classic cologne with a leather twist. I get leather, leather and more leather from the soap.

Top Bottom