What's new

Sometimes it's the shaving soap and not the blade that's the problem

Feathers are ultra sharp and I, too, ended up with a nick or two and weepers with every shave cream out there from TOBS and TRUEFITT AND HILL, both being the great ol' British stuff. What is truly needed is a shaving soap offering protection. WSP FORMULA T BARBERSHOP is the answer. I am 70 years old with the complexion of a 15 years old. The FORMULA T is a blend of tallow and shea butter that provides extra beard softening and an extra layer of protection against nicks and cuts, much better that that British stuff. Using the FORMULA T gives me a BBS++ shave. I really mean this about the T. It's the bomb truly. And I no longer get nicks, cuts nor weepers. WSP FORMULA T. WSP FORMULA T. WSP FORMULA T.

It is now my forever go to shaving soap. You could not give me a free supply of TOBS, or the great British stuff. The Formula T, WSP has hit a grand slam.

I tried Feather blades in my Fatip Grande before. It was waaay too sharp for me. Rather than finding a soap that offered extra protection, I went back to other blades that were less sharp but still provided perfect BBS shaves for me.

That said, I'm glad that WSP Formula T works so well for you. I tried some WSP (non-tallow) soaps before and liked them. But then WSP raised their prices a little higher than I preferred. I never got around to trying their Formula T soaps, as a result. If they're as good as (or better than!) the non-tallow soaps then they're fantastic.

For now I have too many other soaps stocked up to purchase a tub of WSP Formula T any time soon. I'll have to live vicariously through WSP fans, like you. 🙂

If changing your soap works for you, go for it.

I don't buy into that reasoning or explanation, but it's your face and you have to take care of it.

There should be no reason some of the other products you listed (and more) shouldn't perform well with a Feather blade

If only people had the habit of spelling out names before they throw abbreviations at unsuspecting readers.

Some people may want to impress that they “are in the know”, but to me it is a sign of civility to spell out the name before one uses an abbreviation the first time, unless it is a well-known abbreviation like MWF, of course.

If the purpose of a forum is to communicate, this would go a long way.

I am 70 years old with the complexion of a 15 years old.
In that case, just make sure to take your ID along before you visit a bar, says this 71 year old. :001_cool:

B.

Glad you've found a product that works for you, but you aren't exactly comparing apples to apples now...

Not too many creams out there containing tallow to begin with; you can probably count them on one hand with room to spare.
Majority of the legacy greats from Britain have had recent soap reformulations removing the tallow out of them as well.

Personally, have no issue straight shaving off a puck of Floris or Truefitt's Apsley.
TOBS has been on the lower end of my UK spectrum.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Some blades have felt like broken glass and caused irritation. When that happened I loaded more soap, basically doubling the amount of soap, and mixed up a thicker, denser, less wet lather. Worked like a charm.

So what I learned is that it's not necessarily the soap itself, but the density of the lather. Maybe too much bubbles. Maybe too much water. I typically aim for a very wet and almost runny lather. But that doesnt work for all soaps. You can't always force your desired lather consistency on a new soap, like all your other ones, and expect the same results.

Also, some soaps don't play nicely with hard water. So it's not always just the lather consistency. You can churn out Yoplait yogurt every shave and it could still suck if you have hard water and using the wrong soaps.

@MoreArtful congrats on finding a soap that works for you!

If only people had the habit of spelling out names before they throw abbreviations at unsuspecting readers.

Some people may want to impress that they “are in the know”, but to me it is a sign of civility to spell out the name before one uses an abbreviation the first time, unless it is a well-known abbreviation like MWF, of course.

If the purpose of a forum is to communicate, this would go a long way.

I am 70 years old with the complexion of a 15 years old.
In that case, just make sure to take your ID along before you visit a bar, says this 71 year old. :001_cool:

B.
While "We Shaving Products" may be the proper company name, I believe "WSP" is the name under which their products are generally marketed. In fact their logo is:

IMG_0295.jpeg

If you did a google search for "WSP Formula T," you'd quickly find the products that are the subject of MoreArtful's post.

Please note, I'm not saying this to be rude or dismissive of your comment re abbreviations. I tend to feel much the same way with abbreviations, especially those I've never encountered. I'm just saying that in this case, the brand is "WSP" and while technically it may be an abbreviation, it's probably better known by the abbreviation than by its full name (much like how Johnson & Johnson recently moved to be recognized as "J&J" instead of "Johnson & Johnson").

While "We Shaving Products" may be the proper company name, I believe "WSP" is the name under which their products are generally marketed. In fact their logo is:

View attachment 1797794

If you did a google search for "WSP Formula T," you'd quickly find the products that are the subject of MoreArtful's post.

Please note, I'm not saying this to be rude or dismissive of your comment re abbreviations. I tend to feel much the same way with abbreviations, especially those I've never encountered. I'm just saying that in this case, the brand is "WSP" and while technically it may be an abbreviation, it's probably better known by the abbreviation than by its full name (much like how Johnson & Johnson recently moved to be recognized as "J&J" instead of "Johnson & Johnson").

Point taken; but then again: Why should a reader have to do that?

Suspecting a shilling attempt, I did in fact google “WSP FORMULA T BARBERSHOP” {sic}, but my point is that it is not very civil to expect a reader to google the full name (or search for an abbreviation list) of a company that few shavers outside of North America have ever heard of.

As what we write here is usually not of earth-shattering importance (it’s a hobby after all) my rule has therefore become:
If it not important enough for the writer to explain, it’s not important enough for me to read.

B.

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll do better next time. Finding the list of abbreviations at this website will make you more proficient at navigating it.

Tobs works well for me. But it's so thin and slick that it quickly exposes errors in technique. Fattier soaps tend to obscure errors in the sheer thickness and luxoriousness of the lather

If changing your soap works for you, go for it.

I don't buy into that reasoning or explanation, but it's your face and you have to take care of it.

There should be no reason some of the other products you listed (and more) shouldn't perform well with a Feather blade
I agree completely. The products aren't the problem.

Tobs works well for me. But it's so thin and slick that it quickly exposes errors in technique. Fattier soaps tend to obscure errors in the sheer thickness and luxoriousness of the lather
" Fatty" soaps can be every bit as thin. That's dictated by water/soap/air ratios and if the lather is such that it's obstructing the blade to the point of stopping it from cutting, then it was not built or hydrated properly.

Top Bottom