What's new

Shaving daily Vs. Shaving every other day

I have to shave for work, my facial hair grows slowly. As in five o'clock shadow the next day. Is it better to shave ever day or to wait to shave the next day?

I have to shave for work, my facial hair grows slowly. As in five o'clock shadow the next day. Is it better to shave ever day or to wait to shave the next day?
It depends on so many different factors. Do you want to shave everyday? Do you need to shave everyday? Can your skin tolerate a daily shave?

There really is no easy answer. I'm no expert on the matter, but I think you need to do what's best for you. And that decision will most likely come from trial and error.

@Dukbrand,

A little background for you... I started shaving about 40 years ago, but I just started using DE razors in September of 2017. I had to shave for work, but had to shave every other day because of irritation and ingrown hairs. I had no idea what I was doing because I had never been taught, so I just did what I saw other people doing. This is most definitely a YMMV activity.

Until 16 months ago, I used a variety of electric razors (foil and rotary) and multi-blade cartridges. I can now shave everyday without any irritation. I changed my preparation, tools, and technique. It's not perfect, but it's a heckuva lot better than when I started. And my development is a result of the wealth of information I found here on the B&B forums.

I know that's more information than you asked for. Worse yet, it may not even be relevant to your original question. If that is the case, I apologize.

My face can't handle daily DE shaves just yet. Tried it once, wrecked my face a bit.
I get it. Many of us have been there. I hope you get to a point where that is no longer the case. Have you been able to determine what may be causing the damage?

I get it. Many of us have been there. I hope you get to a point where that is no longer the case. Have you been able to determine what may be causing the damage?

Oh, it's definitely poor technique at this point. My first DE shave was on January 2nd.

Oh, it's definitely poor technique at this point. My first DE shave was on January 2nd.
Good. Being able to identify the problem is a good start to finding a solution.

Poor technique can be fixed. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

You might get to a point you look forward to shaving and want to shave every day. Until a certain level of skill is obtained, every other day allows skin to heal better. If you have issues with ingrown, I would recommend exfoliating everyday. Face lathering is one way to do that. Other ways exist as well.

@Clay S, Great advice!

@Dukbrand, don't give up. Many people here may have had similar experiences and have found solutions that worked for them. Some of those are bound to work for you as well. Good luck!

@Gryffindor,
As you can see, I am also new to this. There are several veterans here that possess a wealth of knowledge and experience they are willing to share. You came to the right place. Stick with it.

I really shouldn't post late in the evening because my brain starts shutting down as darkness falls, but...

@Clay S responded with what I believe to be good advice that could very well help to get you to where you want to be. I can't think of anyone who would advise against proper exfoliating as part of daily skin care.

One of the issues I had when I first started DE shaving was following the advice of others without proper context. I bought razors, blades, soaps, and brushes based on the advice and experience of others. That wasn't too bad because I had to start somewhere.

My problem was technique. I got so caught up in tales of BBS shaves that I lost sight of the fact that their combination of experience, prep, tools, technique, skin, and beard was different than mine. So it stands to reason their results would also be different.

I got so caught up in the excitement of my new hobby, that I forgot that I was totally satisfied with a socially acceptable shave every other day for almost 40 years. I am now able to achieve a close and comfortable shave every day and I'm having fun with it.

I wish you much success. Just be patient.
And I hope this all makes sense.

It really, really depends, as others have said. For me, after years of sorting out the ideal combo of gear and technique, my best shaves are done on an every-other-day schedule. Going daily is generally just a bit harsh on my mug; going two days straight sans shave can lead to odd nicks here and there. Sticking to EOD has given me consistently close, smooth, non-irritating and just plain pleasurable sessions with the razor. But you really need to sort this out through trial-and-error.

If you transition to shaving every day, I would start by doing just a 2-pass shave (if you’re currently doing a 3-pass). I’ve made that my daily routine and don’t really ever feel the need to push it by doing a third pass.

Ι have to shave every day,otherwise my skin feels itchy and gets irritated.
Not to mention that I look like a hobo if I am not clean shaven and 15 years younger than I am if I am clean shaven.

I shave every day as I otherwise look & more importantly feel unclean/like a hobo.

+1! Plus, I really ENJOY my shaves!! That said, daily shaving with good technique led to significant improvement in my skin, fewer ingrown hairs, etc. :a14::a14:

+1! Plus, I really ENJOY my shaves!! That said, daily shaving with good technique led to significant improvement in my skin, fewer ingrown hairs, etc. :a14::a14:

Spot on. Also I don't got for BBS. For me two passes on head and face is more than adequate for daily shaving!

It certainly is the perfect way to keep your skin healthy.
My wife is a Japanese teacher and lived for years in Japan and of course she does what all Japanese women do

https://verilymag.com/2017/10/derma...-tinkle-razor-venus-razor-women-shaving-faces

the result?

She has the most PERFECT skin I have even seen ,compared to the rest of the women in my country.

Top Bottom