What's new

Random bad shave despite the same gear?

It seems like every once in awhile despite using the same gear I'll get slightly tuggier or more irritating shaves. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm always diligent with my technique. The last few days I've been using grooming dept maxima and ethos F, today I went back to my trust steed MDC natural. And the shave was just awful. Got so frustrated I binned the blade and tried a new one. Same result. Did the high end artisan soaps make me lazy there for a few days maybe and I was applying undue pressure that mdc exposed? Perhaps. But man I hate it when my otherwise pleasant daily routine feels torturous instead of pampering.

In my experience, I would say that GD and Ethos are a step above MdC in terms of slickness and protectiveness and that those attributes can allow you to become a bit sloppy in terms of technique without any negative consequences. MdC, on the other hand, will let you know where you went wrong.

If this were an analogy, GD and Ethos are kind of like driving a car that has excellent traction control systems that won't let you mess up even when you're being stupid. Whereas MdC can do everything that GD and Ethos can do, but if you get stupid it will bite you in the butt and let you know that you messed up.

In my experience, I would say that GD and Ethos are a step above MdC in terms of slickness and protectiveness and that those attributes can allow you to become a bit sloppy in terms of technique without any negative consequences. MdC, on the other hand, will let you know where you went wrong.

If this were an analogy, GD and Ethos are kind of like driving a car that has excellent traction control systems that won't let you mess up even when you're being stupid. Whereas MdC can do everything that GD and Ethos can do, but if you get stupid it will bite you in the butt and let you know that you messed up.
I believe you're right. I must have gotten heavy handed unconsciously over the last few days. I really honed my shaving skills with mcd and thought it was a fool proof soap for me. I am ever wondering at what makes a good soap. One that reveals these flaws and encourages you to self correct or one that obscures them? Perhaps I should start shaving but once a month as I spend way too much time pondering on the mysteries of this practice. Doesn't help that my skin genuinely sucks because of sebhorriec dermatitis. Probably makes things less cruised controlled.

Puzzlingly an extremely shallow, ride the cap angle worked beautifully with those soaps. But now steep is working better? It seems I am ever met with things that are completely illogical developments with shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had one of those my last shave. I was using my SS La Faulx. I was trying a Feather Professional for the first time in that razor but was coming off a stellar shave with the Kai unguarded blade.

I nicked my upper lip enough so it required several applications of liquid styptic. I thought that was all, but after I exited the bathroom, my wife said, You really got yourself shaving today. She didn’t even notice my lip. It turns out I have two 1/2” cuts on my left jawbone that I hadn’t seen.

I must have let my mind wander. I’ll try to do better today.

I'm totally with you, @Sethology, sometimes that just happens. There are so many variables - from all the equipment, to skin condition, to attitude, and much more. Any one of those things can make for a bad shave. The good thing is there is always the next one, which will be better. Don't be hard on yourself.

I wish I had the presence of mind to abort a bad shave - just finish that pass and wash up. My problem is that I often let that frustration make the shave even worse. Sometimes I wonder if I'll tire of all the work involved and that it doesn't always go well. I could have a much easier time if I took my easiest razor and just did one pass WTG and called it done. Generations of guys did that. For now, I am enjoying the hobby, even with its frustrations.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
This is why I've gone in the direction of milder razors and more frequent shaving. A nick while taking blood pressure meds isn't as easy to resolve as it used to be.

Lack of focus, environmental distractions, last night's sleep score, overconfidence... the equipment doesn't change, we do.

Since going mild and keeping stubble low, I have pretty much stopped using alum and get a DFS or better every day.

This happens to me as well. I’ll use the same four (razor, blade, brush, soap) and have several great shaves in a row and then a terrible one. Sometimes it’s because some random planet in the faraway galaxy RGY174.85-2P* was in retrograde. Other times, upon replaying the shave in my head, I sometimes think I used the razor a little too steep. After years of cartridges, muscle memory leads to steep creep, as I call it.

I have only gotten a weeper two times since I started wet shaving.

Both times I binned or set aside that blade… and the next time I shaved, I used a different razor and a Feather blade.

It seems like every once in awhile despite using the same gear I'll get slightly tuggier or more irritating shaves. It's frustrating to say the least. I'm always diligent with my technique. The last few days I've been using grooming dept maxima and ethos F, today I went back to my trust steed MDC natural. And the shave was just awful. Got so frustrated I binned the blade and tried a new one. Same result. Did the high end artisan soaps make me lazy there for a few days maybe and I was applying undue pressure that mdc exposed? Perhaps. But man I hate it when my otherwise pleasant daily routine feels torturous instead of pampering.

Not as often as it used to happen in my younger days.👦
Eventually, I identified the root cause as cases of common hangover, which also happens to dehydrate one’s body. 🍻🍺🍷🍹🥂

Not sure what happens now that I am much older 👴, either I have become more alcohol tolerant, drink less, or pay more attention to let my skin soak up more moisture during the pre-shave routine. :001_cool:

B. :pipe:

BTW, I am not joking, alcohol consumption does in fact dehydrate the body.
See here: How Alcohol Dehydration Affects Your Health - European Hydration Institute - https://www.europeanhydrationinstitute.org/alcohol-dehydration/

Not as often as it used to happen in my younger days.👦
Eventually, I identified the root cause as cases of common hangover, which also happens to dehydrate one’s body. 🍻🍺🍷🍹🥂

Not sure what happens now that I am much older 👴, either I have become more alcohol tolerant, drink less, or pay more attention to let my skin soak up more moisture during the pre-shave routine. :001_cool:

B. :pipe:

BTW, I am not joking, alcohol consumption does in fact dehydrate the body.
See here: How Alcohol Dehydration Affects Your Health - European Hydration Institute - https://www.europeanhydrationinstitute.org/alcohol-dehydration/
My shaves definitely suffer when I'm especially hung over. But I haven't had a nip of alcohol in months. Sometimes I seem to just inexplicably go through phases of bad shaves with the exact same setup. I know I was using grooming dept preshave in conjunction with my mdc for a bit. But I can't imagine my shaves were this bad before incorporating the preshave. Hmmm

Think people forget you skin can change. Shin is different in cold weather, and different in hot weather.

People who work in an office, have different shin then those who work out doors daily.

Both my Dermatologist, and Rheumatologist say one way to take care of skin in drinking water. ONE OUNCE DAILY FOR EACH TEO POUND OF BODY WEIGHT.

Thinks like Soda Pop, Beer, Booze, Wine, Coffee,Tea do not count. Only Water counts.👍

Ads kid I played outside, spent a lot of time surfing with not wet suit, last most of my working career was outdoor in sunlight.

Sun Light is hard on your skin.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Think people forget you skin can change. Shin is different in cold weather, and different in hot weather.

People who work in an office, have different shin then those who work out doors daily.

Both my Dermatologist, and Rheumatologist say one way to take care of skin in drinking water. ONE OUNCE DAILY FOR EACH TEO POUND OF BODY WEIGHT.

Thinks like Soda Pop, Beer, Booze, Wine, Coffee,Tea do not count. Only Water counts.👍

Ads kid I played outside, spent a lot of time surfing with not wet suit, last most of my working career was outdoor in sunlight.

Sure about that number, mate?

sure about that number, mate? Only 20 ounces per day for a 200 pound gentleman?

Top Bottom