What's new

Shaving Cream of the Month - NovemBayRum

Welcome to November, or rather, NovemBayRum, where we will celebrate all things Bay Rum, and in this Forum especially Bay Rum Shave Cream.

It seems that Bay Rum is a scent used in many great shaving products, athough not so many shaving creams. A few that have been mentioned include:

Al's Calypso scent, which is reportedly a Bay Rum scented shaving cream
proxy.php

Classic Shaving's Bay Rum scented shaving cream
proxy.php

And The Gentleman's Quarter and Saint Charles Shave also have Bay Rum scented shaving creams.

I believe there are a lot more Bay Rum scented shaving soaps, for which many of you have a preference, and there are also many Bay Rum scented aftershaves. I'm especially looking forward to picking up the Bay Rum scent in an aftershave.

I look forward to hearing how each of you are enjoying Bay Rum in whatever product or combination you choose. And let us know if you find a particular combination that works especially well.

As always, the rules:

1. Use Bay Rum Shave Cream, or any other Bay Rum product
2. Let us know how you like it by posting in this thread
3. Have fun!!! :thumbup1:

As my Tabac stick is finally gone (this morning, about 55 shaves) and my bay rum soap came in, I am in too. Did a quick one pass with the Gillette Guard. The soap lathered very well, nice thick lather, smelled fine. Razor glided well, nice irritation free shave. Curious how long this soap will last, like the scent much better than Tabac.

This morning my second shave with Eva Nestorova's Bay Rum. Good, slick lather, smells great. Used a Feather for the third shave in "The Beast". Still good, but not as great as the first shave. But now I know I can get three shaves out of a Feather, if I must.

As my Tabac stick is finally gone (this morning, about 55 shaves) and my bay rum soap came in, I am in too. Did a quick one pass with the Gillette Guard. The soap lathered very well, nice thick lather, smelled fine. Razor glided well, nice irritation free shave. Curious how long this soap will last, like the scent much better than Tabac.
You'll have to share with us how long the Bay Rum lasts.

Another great bay rum shave tonight brought to you by Ogallala Bay Rum!
The Ogallala Bay Rum sure gets a lot of praise. :thumbup1:

This morning my second shave with Eva Nestorova's Bay Rum. Good, slick lather, smells great. Used a Feather for the third shave in "The Beast". Still good, but not as great as the first shave. But now I know I can get three shaves out of a Feather, if I must.
I haven't heard of Eva Nestorova. Sounds interesting. Can you tell us a little more about this one?

I haven't heard of Eva Nestorova. Sounds interesting. Can you tell us a little more about this one?

It is a natural, handmade soap. You can find it on the Bay. Eva makes 3 flavours ATM: Bay&Rum, Arabian Spice and Maroccan Clay. Ingredients of the Bay&Rum: glycerin soap, coconut butter, shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, jamaican rum, ground allspice, ground cinnamon, bay essential oil, orange essential oil and Dead Sea Clay.

Last edited:
i really enjoy the ogallala bay rum shaving soap, some people have said they had a hard time getting it to lather but i saw none of that. it lathered up nice and thick. it also had a mild cooling effect from the spices or the bay but that could have been my imagination!?! couple the shave soap with the ogallala bay rum aftershave and finish with the ogallala cologne!!!! layering the scents baby!
i also have the bay rum lime and peppercorn soap but have not tried it yet.
What is your trick for lathering Ogalalla? I am having a devil of a time and I need to make it work because I bought a TON of it. LOL I don't have trouble lathering anything else but Ogalalla seems to be my Achilles' Heel.

Thanks!
-Greg

It is a natural, handmade soap. You can find it on the Bay. Eva makes 3 flavours ATM: Bay&Rum, Arabian Spice and Maroccan Clay. Ingredients of the Bay&Rum: glycerin soap, coconut butter, shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, jamaican rum, ground allspice, ground cinnamon, bay essential oil, orange essential oil and Dead Sea Clay.
It must smell amazing! :thumbup1:

What is your trick for lathering Ogalalla? I am having a devil of a time and I need to make it work because I bought a TON of it. LOL I don't have trouble lathering anything else but Ogalalla seems to be my Achilles' Heel.

Thanks!
-Greg
Great question! Hopefully someone will comment with some help.

:thumbup1:

I have only tried the Sage and Cedar, and I have had no problems lathering it. Keep in mind that I have not actually shaved with Sage and Cedar; instead, I used it for several test lathers to get the odor out of a Vie-Long white badger I bought from Phil of Bullgoose. Phil threw in a puck of the soap as a free sample. Each time I lathered the soap with the Vie-Long, I got copious amounts of thick lather. (I have exclusively bowl lathered with this brush to date.)

All Ogallala soaps, according to Phil, have been reformulated with shea butter and are now easier to lather. It's also possible that it's not so much the reformulation as it is the Vie-Long, or some combination of the two. This Vie-Long is the only brush I have that can consistenstly lather MWF with a yogurt like consistency.

Greg--From what I remember from your posts on the daily SOTD threads, you use a Simpson's Duke 2, which is a dense brush; perhaps, you should try a less dense one. The Vie-Long is what I would consider on the floppier side due to its density and loft, but it still has enough backbone to lather the Fat and Ogallala.

As a side note, although I am quite impressed with what the Vie-Long can do, I do not, at least for the time being, have a glowing recommendation for it. It has a minute number of prickly tips. I have used it for about twelve shaves now, and its tips are loosing their prickliness with each shave, but I will occassionally feel a ***** when applying lather on my face. In short, the verdict on the brush is still to be determined.

Last edited:
Here's an update on yesterday's post: This morning I shaved with Ogallala Sage and Cedar shaving soap. The procedure was as follows: soaked the Vie-Long for about 10 minutes in warm water, had the excess water drip from the brush, squeezed brush twice, swirled brush on dry puck, lathered in bowl. The result was a good amount of lather in the bowl that was more of a meringue than yogurt. Once the cream was on my face, it got a little airy and dryer than was in the bowl. In terms of efficacy, it did the job nicely, but not exactly how I like it to be done; I prefer a moist yogurt consistency. Although the ceam was a bit dry and airy on my face, the cream did not dry my face. This is probably due to the shea butter.

The best part of the shave was finishing it off with Ogallala Bay Rum AS, which I am loving more and more with each use, and the Vie-Long did not have any prickly tips, so it's breaking in nicely. :001_smile

Greg--From what I remember from your posts on the daily SOTD threads, you use a Simpson's Duke 2, which is a dense brush; perhaps, you should try a less dense one. The Vie-Long is what I would consider on the floppier side due to its density and loft, but it still has enough backbone to lather the Fat and Ogallala.

Impressive, Ramon, that you remember the contents of SOTDs :w00t:

I actually use a Duke 1, but yes, it is dense. I moved up to that from a Col. Conk/Vulfix pure badger that I bought for about $24 and it is neither dense nor stiff but it did lather all the creams and the Conk soaps that I put it to rather admirably. Even if it does turn out to be the silver bullet for these bloody Ogalalla soaps I would hate to have to go back to that brush with any frequency as the Duke is just a face lathering dream.

My next plan (and I think I'm on about Plan 'Q' at this point :blink: ) is already in the works. My folks live close to Bowman Beauty and Barber Supply in Wilmington, NC where I will be for Christmas and they are going to pick up a couple of bottles of Campbell's Liquid Cream Shave for me. I'm guessing that a well loaded brush of Ogalalla + a cap full of Campbell's and a generous amount of water in my Becker scuttle :)001_rolle) is going to do the trick with my Duke 1. If it works, I think I will have found the soapy, barber shoppy Grail of scent and lather that I have been searching for. :w00t:

I can only hope...

Cheers and thanks again!
-Greg

Top Bottom