What's new

BEST bay rum?

Royall Bay Rhum '57: This is my absolute favorite of the bay rum after shaves I have. I REALLY like the scent and how great my face feels the day after using it.

How is the staying power on this? I have the Royall Lyme and it’s the best lime scented AS I have tried. The BR is next on my list from them.

Stirling Bay Rum: This is clove "NUTMEG" forward and is one of the most frequent comments I've read in reviews. It was one of the first Bay Rum soaps I've tried and I am partial to it. I'm near out of the sample I picked up some time ago.
Fixed this for you... Rod adds just a hint of clove to the recipe but is heavy on the nutmeg!! Grab a bottle of nutmeg and compare it to your soap sample...

How is the staying power on this? I have the Royall Lyme and it’s the best lime scented AS I have tried. The BR is next on my list from them.

I find that it has decent staying power, though I also wipe my hands off on my shirt which seems to help out last longer.

Reactions: SDK

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
VERY difficult to beat Captain's Choice when it comes to Bay Rum.

He makes one that I love. Comes the closest to the aftershave that Avon came out with in the early 1960's. A true Bay Laurel Leaf scent, not synthetic smelling. Beautiful stuff.

AND he's a nice guy that is NEARLY as incredibly handsome as myself or @Marco !

VERY difficult to beat Captain's Choice when it comes to Bay Rum.

I agree with my friend FarmerTan. I love a good bay rum scent. Tried many, and Captain's Choice soaps and aftershaves have been favorites for a dozen years. I still hoard, and occasionally use, my first CC Bay Rum soap released under the RazoRock label, and an early aftershave formula made with rum and grain alcohol. The current formulas are just as good as those early ones in scent and performance. North soap and aftershave are a close second.

While I love the scent of Ogallala, and use the aftershave occasionally, the performance of the soap isn't great. I'll still occasionally buy a puck to use as a shower soap for the clove hit, because it reminds me of stays with my grandma in the 1950s. Her apartment always smelled of cigs and cloves, as she rolled her own cigs, while chewing/gumming Bazooka gun and cloves.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I agree with my friend FarmerTan. I love a good bay rum scent. Tried many, and Captain's Choice soaps and aftershaves have been favorites for a dozen years. I still hoard, and occasionally use, my first CC Bay Rum soap released under the RazoRock label, and an early aftershave formula made with rum and grain alcohol. The current formulas are just as good as those early ones in scent and performance. North soap and aftershave are a close second.

While I love the scent of Ogallala, and use the aftershave occasionally, the performance of the soap isn't great. I'll still occasionally buy a puck to use as a shower soap for the clove hit, because it reminds me of stays with my grandma in the 1950s. Her apartment always smelled of cigs and cloves, as she rolled her own cigs, while chewing/gumming Bazooka gun and cloves.
Your grandma sounds like someone I'd have loved to party with back in the day!

The scents differ from one another quite a bit. If you don't want a lot of clove smell, the Mystic Water version is the way to go.

I'm not a big fan of Bay Rum scents in general, but mixed with other scents like lime it can be quite nice. I am currently enjoying Bay Lime shaving cream from Stone Cottage Soapworks. It is very strongly scented, so if you like your lathers to not be shy, this one would be a great choice.

For anyone who’s tried both the Ethos Bay Rum and PAA Atomic age, how do the scents compare?

I have the PAA Atomic Age aftershave and really like it.
I’m quite keen on trying the Ethos Bay Rum (soap & AS), especially after seeing this picture in another thread:

IMG_3801.jpeg

I found and really like Le Pere Lucien Bay Rum. A clean and fresh scent for bay rum. The scent lasts a long time.

I love the basic Ogallala bay rum soap (no lime, peppercorns, etc.). I haven't used it for a long time but I remember that my wife liked it quite a bit and it shaved well.
Lol….I like the others like the Limes and Peppercorn, Orange, and cedar. Love other scents mixed in with bay rum.

I really like Grog Two from Tallow + Steel; definitely a little different than a "traditional" bay rum, and great performance.

IMG_1486.jpg

Top Bottom