What's new

Shaving as a hobby is not expensive

This may be a means to rationalize spending money on gear I technically don't need but I put it to you that shaving as a hobby is not expensive. Even with razors that cost hundreds of dollars along with soaps and creams and aftershaves and balms and everything else. Compared to owning a boat or a motorcycle, or collecting other things like coins, stamps, and sports memorabilia, shaving is an inexpensive alternative. Sure, you can get well into the thousands of dollars but, even then, the gear itself has residual value unlike putting $150 worth of gas in your boat or paying for a track day where that money is just gone. I also like to use fancy coffee or eating at a restaurant comparison. Many of us routinely purchase expensive coffee or eat at a restaurant and pay many tens or hundreds of dollars without thinking about it yet we'll agonize over spending $25 on blades or soap or something.

So what do you think? Do you have more expensive hobbies? Do you spend freely on shaving supplies or do you agonize over purchase? Am I just trying to justify spending money? :barbershop_quartet_

You can have stellar shaves with a 30.00 den and never spend more money but this is B&B :letterk1:

Some people collect, others are just trying to find the best stuff for them to shave with. There are a heck of a lot of choices and the only way to find out is to try for yourself.

It took me a while, but I've come to the point of regarding restaurants as a waste of money. I've had the experience, why do it over and over again? Same with shaving, I'd now like to just have a few things that work well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used to “agonize” over shaving purchases. I felt that buying expensive gear and software was a frivolous expense. Especially since my costs for shaving prior to getting into this hobby were minimal. But one day I had an epiphany and decided that life is too short. And the great pleasure and zen I get out of my shaving hobby is something that should not be throttled. It adds to my quality of life, and keeps my stress levels low. So I decided right then and there to just buy whatever I wanted, within reason, as long as I had the discretionary funds available. So it is an expensive hobby. And yes, I used to own a boat, and had a massive guitar collection, sports cars, motorcycles… all of which are more expensive. I have been downsizing every aspect of my life in preparation for a nomadic lifestyle. And focusing on my shaving hobby has helped me with the downsizing tremendously. You see, I am a serial collector. And I collected big things. Now I collect small things that can fit into a small bin and come along on my nomadic adventures.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My last serious hobby was drinking alcohol - it cost me my dignity, self respect, car, driving license, job, partner, child, friends, and up to £1000 per month; it almost cost me my liberty, my home, and my life. I quit drinking almost six years ago and replaced it with a range of healthy activities and hobbies, including traditional shaving once my hands stopped shaking. Now I have back everything I lost, or rather everything I chose to give away, and a whole lot more besides. Compared with drinking, shaving is not only inexpensive it is practically free; in fact Simpson are almost paying me to use their brushes - almost 😂

Much less expensive than my previous hobby of motorcycling. Over the years I spent thousands and more thousands on the latest/newest/fastest motorcycle and did, in fact, totally enjoy myself. However, after having several difficult surgeries, riding was no longer possible.

Enter traditional wet shaving. Now I enjoy starting every day with a marvelous shave with various items/products. Every day is a new adventure. Life is good.

It's an expensive "hobby" for the 15 min I use the products daily.

Most of the stuff I have now is $$$, but hard to part with for ease of getting it back if I ever wanted it or it has sentimental ties. I stopped putting money into shaving gear years ago. I'd rather put my money into more productive/traditional hobbies/collections or ones others can enjoy with me.

Instead of $300 shaving brushes, I'll buy a watch I can wear all day or a fishing reel I can enjoy casting on a riverbank, outside for hours on end. Instead of a $40 soap that gets used in a couple months or sits and dries out in storage, I'll buy a vinyl record I can listen to over and over for years.

We often talk about acquisition disorders being part of the hobby. Although these disorders can get quite expensive, unless you are tempted to cut your throat or wrists with a straight razor, at least they are not as destructive as addictions to drugs, alcohol or gambling can be. However, I suspect there may have been a few divorces triggered by excessive shaving purchases.

I like hobbies that are in part necessities. If I'm going to have to go into work, I might as well bicycle and enjoy it. If I'm going to shave, I might as well make it something to look forward to. Both are luxuries but also money-savers.
To me, economizing is part of the challenge and part of the fun. I took my time buying a few vintage razors as I found the deals. None were more than $13 and some were much less. I try blades not just to find the best blade for me but to find the best value blade for me.
Sometimes I catch a bad break and I stick with it. I bought a soap because it was $5.75 and my previous soap was $7.50, but the new soap isn't nearly as good. So I'm using the opportunity to get better at face lathering. If the soap's not going to give me the slickness I like, I'm going to build the best possible lather with what I have. (If eventually gets to be a chore, I'll use it up in the shower and count it as a lesson learned, but not anytime soon.)
People say it's a myth that traditional shaving is cheaper, but it certainly can be. That's part of the fun for me, that and getting to brag about it to anyone who will listen (mind, not many people want to listen!).

The shaving hobby is only expensive by comparison IF you get into collecting large amounts of razors/brushes. If you're buying things to use them, it's really not expensive at all, when you factor in usage life of these things. Sure the sticker price on a mirror polished Wolfman razor is high, but as long as no one damages it, it can shave for multiple lifetimes. Brushes can last decades too. Soaps don't last near as long, by themselves, but the more soaps in your den, the longer each one is going to last, so it kinda evens out.

If you don't let your RAD/BAD go too crazy, wet shaving is still kinda cheap, even with high end hardware.

If purchases bring joy to you, not expensive. I don't buy often, but when in do, i love what I buy. Ok, some might be duds, but so it is in every aspect of life!

All hobbies are expensive.

But if nothing else, hobbies relieve stress, nurture our health, and keep us out of the offices of mental health professionals. Therefore, hobbies pay handsome dividends.

One additional point: Every dollar we ever own will one day be spent. If not by us, then by others. We decide who.

The shaving hobby is only expensive by comparison IF you get into collecting large amounts of razors/brushes. If you're buying things to use them, it's really not expensive at all, when you factor in usage life of these things. Sure the sticker price on a mirror polished Wolfman razor is high, but as long as no one damages it, it can shave for multiple lifetimes. Brushes can last decades too. Soaps don't last near as long, by themselves, but the more soaps in your den, the longer each one is going to last, so it kinda evens out.

If you don't let your RAD/BAD go too crazy, wet shaving is still kinda cheap, even with high end hardware.

Yes, purchasing a collection of razors and brushes can get expensive. However, do not forget that even the consumables can get expensive. I have a collection of over 200 soaps. They range in price from a few dollars to over $30 a tub. I suspect the average soap is somewhere around $20, so I may have spent $4000 in shaving soaps. That is far more than I have spent on razors or brushes.

Despite having a large collection of soaps, I still delight in adding new soaps to my collection. Just today I ordered Barrister and Mann Nordost in the Omnibus formula. It will be my first opportunity to evaluate the Omnibus base.

Yes, purchasing a collection of razors and brushes can get expensive. However, do not forget that even the consumables can get expensive. I have a collection of over 200 soaps. They range in price from a few dollars to over $30 a tub. I suspect the average soap is somewhere around $20, so I may have spent $4000 in shaving soaps. That is far more than I have spent on razors or brushes.

Despite having a large collection of soaps, I still delight in adding new soaps to my collection. Just today I ordered Barrister and Mann Nordost in the Omnibus formula. It will be my first opportunity to evaluate the Omnibus base.

IMHO, sometime before you make it to 200 soaps you've moved out of shaving as a hobby territory and more into collecting as a hobby, hehe. Same as razor or brush collecting.

Top Bottom