What's new

Shaving as a hobby is not expensive

I have always approached interests that could turn into hobbies by acquiring the items selectively, usually only one, better than average by a good margin but far from the most expensive, and then using it and treasuring it forever. The approach has served me well, not just with my razor and two brushes, but with my pen, my guitar, and my cookware, even my apparel. To "Use it up, wear it out (if it is susceptible to wearing out), make it do" I would add "enjoy it and treasure it."
That's why I have one razor to use, a Parker 91R. Actually I have two, but the VDH I started with really got retired. Found a few blades that work best for me in the Parker, and bought an Omega brush Found a great cream to use, so I would say I am set, for perhaps quite a few years. I am not a collector, but I am happy with what I have. I would have spent more time trying blades in this razor if it was needed, but my face got lucky with the blades I was trying. I was going to make this razor work! And no, Feather is NOT one of the blades that work for me! With that being said, I will be enjoying my shaves for years to come. I enjoy all things DE!!

Agree that shaving as a hobby does not need to be expensive and there are many more expensive hobbies out there. While 30-$40 can get you started the lack of "consumer reports" style ratings for DE products and variability (YMMV) in each persons beard, skin and personal preferences means that some experimentation is required to get to your personal optimal shave. Even so with a focus on economical options the two year spend doesn't need to go over the $150 - $200 level. Knowing what I know now my recommended "straw model" budget starter kit would include the following (all at recent sale prices when applicable):

"Straw Model" DE Budget Shaving Starter Set Example

Weishi Long Handle 9306 chrome butterfly razor: $13
Razorock Monster synthetic brush:-------------- $9 ($13 regular price)
Omega 10049 or Razorock Blondie boar brush-- 9-$12
Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Soap ----------------$4
Williams Mug Soap (local grocery)------------------$1
100 Astra SP or Dorco Stainless Blades ------------7-$9
Coffee Mug from your kitchen --------------------- $0

Total $43 - $48

Add 2 - 3 replenishment soaps and one gets a years worth of shaving for roughly $50.

While one could drop a soap and brush to be close to $30 the advantage of the above combo is that it provides a chance to compare a hard tallow soap with a non-tallow alternative. Purchasing quality low cost synthetic and boar shaving brushes provides the tools to get the best out of any shaving soap or cream. With a "starter set" like this one can then go on to experiment with alternative blades, a few different soaps, another brush, a shaving bowl/mug and/or a second razor if desired and still stay well within a $200 budget over a couple of years. One of the lowest cost hobby option available. Of course we can go well beyond $200 and still not even be close to the costs of many other hobbies that are out there.

Again this is a straw model based on my experience and what is easily available near me in the U.S. There are lots of options out there. If Williams is not locally available than Arko could be a great choice.

I have my Parker, $28, Omega boar, $18, Stand, $26, shave bowl, free, Wilkinson Sword(G) blades, 25@$6+tax, Gillette Pure shave cream, $6. Assorted blades, $15, Gillette after shave gel, $2.50. So, I'm good on blades for awhile, cream and after shave will need to be replaced periodically. My original razor, a VDH, was $20. So, I really do not have a lot invested in this, have more money tied up in "lost" golf balls.

I'm brand new to this DE shaving thing, and perhaps naïve, but one of the things that appeals to me is how cheap it seems, at least at the top of the rabbit hole, compared to my other hobbies.

Little tweaks—new blades, soaps, etc.—are quite cheap. Bigger ones—brushes, new razors, etc.—aren't that much compared to comparable changes in other hobbies.

So coming from turntables and general audiophilia, I find even $400 for a top razor pretty light going. On other forums, people talk about $1200 moving-coil phono cartridges as "moderately priced," with the high end getting up to $5000 and more. Then you have phono stages, tonearms, turntables themselves, amplification, power conditioners, loudspeakers, etc., and best not even to bring up cabling, which can cost more than a boat and (to my poor ears) results in vanishingly small sonic improvements. And then there's records, records, records.

Give me a $30 soap or $40 for a hundred premium blades any day. And maybe less insanity, compared to psycho-acoustic madness ("I just got this $3000 power cable and the improvement is not subtle! Astounding!")? Maybe? I mean, you can actually feel and see the different results, right?
Welcome!

Hardcore audiophiles can be absolutely bonkers. Attaching crystals to $2000 speaker cables, $3000 power cables, etc. I am a musician and thought I was nuts dropping $2500 on a power amp!

With wetshaving, if you start collecting Wolfman razors ($400-1000+ each) and super premium brushes ($250-500), it can turn into a pretty expensive hobby quickly. For most though, it isn’t that expensive.

Amen! There may come a day (I doubt it) when I'll obsess over a Wolfman or a Blackbird or a Rocnel, but I doubt it. I absolutely love my Above the Tie Windsor and feel zero need to find something better. If I were ever to buy another razor it would not be for better but I could envision different, like a slant or SE, just to experience it...or not.
I haven’t had a great desire to buy a new safety razor. I have the ones I’ve been using. They all belonged to my Dad (date from the 40s to the 60s). I did buy two different grinds of straight razors (one vintage, one new) to try SR shaving out. So, I’m happy with the variety of razors I have. Only recently have I had a *small* desire to buy a couple new safety razors.

I’ve also used the same boar brush for 10 years, soon 11. Last year I bought a Parker silvertip badger and a Simpson Trafalgar T3 synthetic to try the different types of bristles. I’d like a horse hair brush next. Again, just to have each of the different types of bristles.

Last year was also the time I tried many more soaps/creams and especially aftershaves. I have seven soaps and creams now. Prior to these purchases, I was a buy-and-use-until-finished kind o’ guy. I also had just one aftershave (Pinaud Clubman) and one balm (Gillette gel) for moisture in case my face felt dry after the shave. Now I have a cabinet full of aftershaves, and there are still several I’d like to try.

Wahl hair trimmers saves money.
Been cutting my hair for about 15 years. Wahl trimmers are the best. Very well made..
Got tired of coming home after a haircut, only to find they didn't get my neckline straight, or hair was not cut evenly from one side to the other. Was going to one of the better salons, and after awhile, it was 5 minutes in the chair, whereas, in the beginning, 15 minutes was the norm, with special attention to neckline, around ears, etc.. It was like they did not have time for me, even to make appts., the person I wanted was either booked up, or, was never there on a scheduled work day...

Been cutting my hair for about 15 years. Wahl trimmers are the best. Very well made..
Got tired of coming home after a haircut, only to find they didn't get my neckline straight, or hair was not cut evenly from one side to the other. Was going to one of the better salons, and after awhile, it was 5 minutes in the chair, whereas, in the beginning, 15 minutes was the norm, with special attention to neckline, around ears, etc.. It was like they did not have time for me, even to make appts., the person I wanted was either booked up, or, was never there on a scheduled work day...
Hand writing on the wall?

Sounds familiar. I too have been cutting my own hair for about as long. I bought a set of Wahl Legend Clippers back then and never have had to send out the clipper out for sharpening. Great clippers, greater feeling knowing that you can do something for yourself.

Sounds familiar. I too have been cutting my own hair for about as long. I bought a set of Wahl Legend Clippers back then and never have had to send out the clipper out for sharpening. Great clippers, greater feeling knowing that you can do something for yourself.
I take as much time as I need. In the beginning, it took me about 2 hours, now about 45 minutes, and that is if I shave after I cut my hair. Have to clean up the bathroom floor, too! Pretty much all clippers, except when I scissor and comb the sides. Razor on the back of my neck, and behind my ears. Using a mirror to trim the back had a little learning curve. But, it always looks good. I might get a new set of blades for mine, cause it tends to leave long hairs where I know I cut it a couple of times in different directions.

Hey, Titleist, I take it that you play golf? Me, too. Since about 1998, had couple of lessons, but pretty much self-taught. 95-100 average score, but I enjoy the game.

Hey, Titleist, I take it that you play golf? Me, too. Since about 1998, had couple of lessons, but pretty much self-taught. 95-100 average score, but I enjoy the game.

Absolutely I do! We live on the course down here. Moved here in retirement and I try to play 3-5 times a week. I normally shoot in the low 80's and I have been in the 70's about a dozen times since moving here.

I have been wet shaving a decade. I hadn't made any purchases for 10 years since I bought a lot back then. This past week I had the itch....

I spent about $500 and now I have new
Razors, preshaves, powders, body soaps, and blades enroute from all over the globe.

For some reason I'm excited about these items.

I have been wet shaving a decade. I hadn't made any purchases for 10 years since I bought a lot back then. This past week I had the itch....

Razors, preshaves, powders, body soaps, and blades enroute from all over the globe.

I can relate. Ten years with Dad’s four old Gillettes (using the two Super Speeds until last year when I started with the Fatboy and Slim), one soap and one cream at a time until used up, one brush (Omega boar), and one aftershave (Pinaud Clubman) and one balm. Now I have 8 soaps/creams, something like 14 aftershaves, and added a silvertip badger brush and a synthetic, and I bought two straight razors with strop. Recently I bought two DE safety razors, my first new ones.

Ten years is a long time, very good restraint!

Top Bottom