What's new

Shaving and the environment.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Very late to this, so sorry if some think it's too late to revive, but as far as recycling the cartridge and disposables and blades there is a program you can use. It's a partnership with Terracycle and Gillette, but they take ANY brand of shaving equipment.
1. All brands of blades and razors (systems and disposable units, and replaceable-blade cartridge units)
2. Rigid plastic packaging
3. Flexible plastic bag packaging

You do pay for shipping, but I'm sure it's pretty small and the stuff will actually get recycled.

Gillette® Razor Recycling Program

Very late to this, so sorry if some think it's too late to revive, but as far as recycling the cartridge and disposables and blades there is a program you can use. It's a partnership with Terracycle and Gillette, but they take ANY brand of shaving equipment.
1. All brands of blades and razors (systems and disposable units, and replaceable-blade cartridge units)
2. Rigid plastic packaging
3. Flexible plastic bag packaging

You do pay for shipping, but I'm sure it's pretty small and the stuff will actually get recycled.

Gillette® Razor Recycling Program
Thanks for the information- I was not aware of this program.

After reading another thread about throwing out empty cans of foam, I realized that my style of traditional double edge (DE) shaving actually has a fairly small impact on the environment.

My shaving soaps come in a cardboard or stiff paper box and my DE blades come in a stiff paper tuck and can be recycled. I still have glass bottles for cologne but at least I’ve eliminated pressurized cans and plastic cartridges from going into the landfill.

This is something that makes me happy.
How about the use of palm oil in some of our shaving cremes/balms?
Unfortunately one of my cremes made by a well known company has some, which could be an issue.

Terrific thread!!

Love the concept of using (or being able to) use and reuse a razor for many decades, get rid of disposable carts, no cans of chemical goop and gasses!

(Does this mean I can buy another razor?? :a29::a29:)

I help the environment by:

Putting used blades in a blade bank and recycling it when it fills up.
I am currently using a pickle container for a puck of Mama Bear's Dragon Blood shaving soap.
I heat a large cup of water in the microwave as opposed to running the hot water tap until hot water arrives from the in-line water heater.
I rinse the razor in my sink basin rather than letting the tap run.
And, with all the recent rain(s) here in North Texas, I have several containers of rain water for shaving. For some reason, rain water seems to give me a creamier lather using Van der Hagen or the Dragon Blood soap.

DSCF2045.JPG

x

Unfortunately one of my cremes made by a well known company has some, which could be an issue.
I don’t think we will ever be 100% environmental friendly, but the more we all try the more effective we will be as a whole.

I help the environment by:

Putting used blades in a blade bank and recycling it when it fills up.
I am currently using a pickle container for a puck of Mama Bear's Dragon Blood shaving soap.
I heat a large cup of water in the microwave as opposed to running the hot water tap until hot water arrives from the in-line water heater.
I rinse the razor in my sink basin rather than letting the tap run.
And, with all the recent rain(s) here in North Texas, I have several containers of rain water for shaving. For some reason, rain water seems to give me a creamier lather using Van der Hagen or the Dragon Blood soap.

View attachment 962549
x
BobbyB,

You’re doing better than I am that’s for sure. Keep it up!

Terrific thread!!

Love the concept of using (or being able to) use and reuse a razor for many decades, get rid of disposable carts, no cans of chemical goop and gasses!

(Does this mean I can buy another razor?? :a29::a29:)
BigJ,

In order to avoid being banned from B&N, yes, buy another razor.

Yeah, I was looking at my soap this morning and noticed the same thing. When I'm finished that one, I won't be getting it again. I'll have to check for that for now on.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What's the deal with palm oil?

It's actually good for you to use in cooking, eating and in products. It's the environmental footprint of its growth and other ethical baggage that raises concerns for some depending on how one leans on such things.

All in all it's one of the most added oils to so many products. If you want to remove it from your life, you will spend a LOT of time reading labels.

I don’t think we will ever be 100% environmental friendly, but the more we all try the more effective we will be as a whole.
yep,fair enough. Plus I understand that the effects of deforestation through palm oil cultivation is a cause for concern amongst the big companies and they are producing more from sustainable sources.

By all means, do your thing. But...Every member on this forum switching to dry shaves via pale moonlight with a re-sharpened blade would offset the carbon footprint of one steel mill(even one in the US) by 0.0%.

All good if it helps one sleep better at night or get laid, but i just dont see the point of the extremes. To each their own though.

Re-use is better than recycle. I read an article the other day about recycling in the US and it said less than 25% of what people put in their recycle bins is actually recycled. This is because China is no longer doing recycling for other countries, and people have good intentions of what they want to see recycled but most facilities can't handle (i.e. pizza boxes--cardboard is recyclable, but not when it's contaminated with grease; or most plastic food containers won't get recycled if you don't wash them first, etc.).

I had been using disposable plastic razors. The environmental impact of disposable plastic is what prompted me to rediscover DE shaving. I'm glad I did.

It’s great to see so many people involved with doing their part to take care of the environment!

However how many of you just let the water run the entire time you shave? I bring that up because that can deemed and viewed as wasteful.

It’s great to see so many people involved with doing their part to take care of the environment!

However how many of you just let the water run the entire time you shave? I bring that up because that can deemed and viewed as wasteful.
Guilty as charged, but the water isn’t turned on with very much force. Just enough to rinse the razor. I’ve tried with a bowl of water but just haven’t gotten satisfactory results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom