What's new

Shaving and the environment.

I run the water the entire time. I live on a well system and there’s plenty of water in the aqua table, regardless I’m that guy!

I also ride two stroke snowmobiles and race two stroke go karts.......so we have that also

I run the water the entire time. I live on a well system and there’s plenty of water in the aqua table, regardless I’m that guy!

I also ride two stroke snowmobiles and race two stroke go karts.......so we have that also
Don’t forget to mix oil with your fuel. :)

I'm recycling this thread instead of creating my own, because I find the topic important and a comment on this thread
made me think. Also, this topic exists in 2 older threads, which I add for completion:

While I'd love to see a world free of disposable items, I can hardly picture it. What is the more environmentally-friendly alternative to toilet paper? Can a Japanese (or is it called Western-style?) toilet last a lifetime and be energy-efficient enough to offset the manufacturing costs of water-soluble paper?

Back to the topic of shaving, the SR and the Kampfe brothers safety razor come closest to non-disposable. The former is a no-go for many for dexterity and work reasons, the latter is no longer produced. OTOH steel (blades) and aluminum (cans) can be recycled indefinitely, unlike plastic.

Now come the more universal disposables. Does anyone know of non-disposable shaving creams, oils, soaps, pre- and aftershaves? Is there a non-disposable grinding or polishing paste? In the short term, going plastic-free (not only shaving) is most realistic IMHO.

Landfill is one thing but in my view, water wastage is a much bigger concern. Billions of guys shaving daily is a lot of water!

I use as minimal amount of water as possible for shaving. About 300ml in one of those dog water bowls for making lather and rinsing the razor during the shave.
And another 200-300ml for clean-up.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After reading another thread about throwing out empty cans of foam, I realized that my style of traditional double edge (DE) shaving actually has a fairly small impact on the environment.

My shaving soaps come in a cardboard or stiff paper box and my DE blades come in a stiff paper tuck and can be recycled. I still have glass bottles for cologne but at least I’ve eliminated pressurized cans and plastic cartridges from going into the landfill.

This is something that makes me happy.
I’ve never been into the Mother Earth thing but I do hate our unnecessary use if plastics. Tossing disposable razors bothers me for some reason but now I use a straight razor so there are no blades to toss (although they are degradable and present no problem). I use Arko sticks which are wrapped in thin paper and foil. It just happened that way - I do still eat all the meat I can get hold of. Love eating dead animals.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shaving and the environment? I will look at what I do now.
  • Steel SR with timber scales
  • ARKO stick soap with paper/aluminium foil packaging
  • Timber handled synthetic brush
  • Water (cold from rainwater tank) consumption less than 2 litres per daily shave
Where I could improve from an environmental aspect is in the shaving brush hair material.

Having spent many years of my life living in an environment that had basically no freshwater readily available, I am always consious of the water that I consume.

Look at how many razors we have on average though. I don’t see much reduction around here.
Exactly what I thought. We still use plastic tubs, plastic brushes and the vast majority of wetshavers has a ton of stuff (me included). Maybe it's less of an immediate carbon footprint but at some point it's all going in the dumpster.

There is a reason for our modest collections. They are not for our own self indulgence but rather to pass on to future generations and thus save the world from being engulfed in discarded razor cartridges and disposable razors.
You sir are an enabler extraordinaire!

There is a lot of truth to that though. There is every chance that 100 years from now someone will pick up one of my straight razors and stones and continue to get use out of it. Meanwhile my used Mach 3 cartridges will still be sitting unloved in the landfill.

Come to think of it. Many of my razor and stones are vintage and have come to me second hand. I’m not killing elephants, I’m just reusing what was already there!

Last edited:
I possess 2 DE razors, use 1@home and the other one when traveling. I also have 1 brush, but a couple of hundred blades. In my experience, shaving cream followed by aftershave are by far a bigger factor for the environment compared to razors. But even then I pay attention to metal (mostly aluminum) + glass packaging.
I think @rbscebu is not far off though - for those folks who have collections, remind yourself that what you possess is not disposable. It might be reused or it might be recycled. Even in the worst case that your favorite razor gets dumped, it
  • will not produce toxins while corroding
  • is therefore much less hazardous to other organisms
  • will therefore not pollute drinking water
  • can degrade 100% (after a very long time), unlike some plastics
Of couse, ideally nobody would consume more than required; almost everything non-disposable should be purchased second hand; most people should switch to hobbies which do not require accumulating anything material etc. There is a ton of info online. But instead of trying to become a saint, changing lifestyle step by step is more effective and fulfilling than claiming nothing can be done. I still think traditional wet shaving is a step in the right direction (despite the fact that many newcomers get distracted).

But instead of trying to become a saint, changing lifestyle step by step is more effective and fulfilling than claiming nothing can be done. I still think traditional wet shaving is a step in the right direction (despite the fact that many newcomers get distracted).
I strongly second that. I didn't want to sound like that guy with my previous post so surely everyone's little effort can be a straw that broke a camel's back.

That is another reason why I switched to double-edge shaving. Far less plastic waste (no plastic cartridges) and no more plastic tubes of gel. (I can buy a shaving puck refill instead). I am using an old plastic water bottle to store my used blades in as the top can be secured shut when its full and it can go in the recycling bin.

Jason.

anyone claiming that they are "saving the environment" by moving away from carts and cans are lying to themselves, because the amount of "what are you unpackaging today" pictures and threads with all of the cardboard and waste, it's not a offset. Plus the fuel for the delivery trucks, tires maintenance etc.

I get it though, we might be cutting a bit down, but I don't really buy it that it's a huge offset.

There is a reason for our modest collections. They are not for our own self indulgence but rather to pass on to future generations and thus save the world from being engulfed in discarded razor cartridges and disposable razors.

Great reasoning!!

My ‘modest collection’ can ‘save the world!’ Just hope my heirs appreciate this! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Look at how many razors we have on average though. I don’t see much reduction around these parts. Personally I have ten complete shaving sets. More than a lifetime supply and my collection is on the smaller side of the B&B spectrum.
I don’t think metal razors and blades have much environmental impact. If you weren’t using them, you would likely be using plastic razors which do have a serious impact. Consider yourself a green shaver.

anyone claiming that they are "saving the environment" by moving away from carts and cans are lying to themselves, because the amount of "what are you unpackaging today" pictures and threads with all of the cardboard and waste, it's not a offset. Plus the fuel for the delivery trucks, tires maintenance etc.
Cardboard, aluminum foil are still reusable. Cardboard is easily degradable. The same cannot be said about most kinds of plastic (notable exception: PLA, but even then you need constant high moisture). As for packaging, think all other personal hygiene needs: gels, fluid soaps, dish detergents, toothpastes... How many toothpaste manufacturers ship their stuff in glass jars? Metal jars? Wooden jars? Your best shot are aluminum tubes. As for transport: you may rest assured any kind of logistics company shipping shaving gear mostly ships other (non-niche) stuff. According to statistics in the EU, clothing and electronic (non-shaving) gadgets are king.
I get it though, we might be cutting a bit down, but I don't really buy it that it's a huge offset.
You are right in your assumption - from a household viewpoint, nutrition and energy sources (heating, transport, etc) are the most important factors, not shaving. The way I understand the point of this topic is how (much) shaving can help. With this in mind, I cannot see how a typical B&B collection of razors is worse for the environment than the average per-lifetime garbage from (semi-)disposable plastic razors. I agree with you that the smaller your collection (the more you PIF/sell/trade/buy used), the bigger your contribution is against climate change.
Some questions for a fairer comparison: how many B&B folks have bought or traded used carts? How many still use their Trac II and have never tried something newer? How many newer cart models have you tried or how often do you try such? Out of all, how many have you kept?

Most people who shave daily are minimalist and buy what they need when they need it at the stores. They don’t have 10 packages a month coming to the house.

You aren’t saving the environment wet shaving you just aren’t. If you think you are then great believe in what you want.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Most people who shave daily are minimalist and buy what they need when they need it at the stores. They don’t have 10 packages a month coming to the house.

You aren’t saving the environment wet shaving you just aren’t. If you think you are then great believe in what you want.
I don't think anyone here is capable of saving the environment. I don't think anyone here is trying to save the environment.
One guy not dumping used motor oil down the street drains won't save the environment. The entire population not dumping used motor oil down the drain will have an impact though.

I'm not one of those "Green People". I'm not concerned about my overall "carbon footprint".
There's a lot of virtue signaling in the whole environmental landscape and it makes people feel good and not much else.
But...
As a decent human being I try not to be wasteful. There are a thousand reasons not to be wasteful.
I fill a small sink with water when I shave rather than running the water (I'm on a well too).
I don't throw garbage in the street or out the car window.
I turn off lights in unused rooms.
I try to recycle when I can, despite the fact that curbside recycling is largely ineffectual.

None of what I do is going to save the environment. But if there are tens of thousands of people who do the same, we have less of an impact.
Making less of an impact contributes towards the goal of saving the environment, and there's nothing unmanly or foolish about that at all.

Top Bottom