What's new

Shaving and the environment.

After reading another thread about throwing out empty cans of foam, I realized that my style of traditional double edge (DE) shaving actually has a fairly small impact on the environment.

My shaving soaps come in a cardboard or stiff paper box and my DE blades come in a stiff paper tuck and can be recycled. I still have glass bottles for cologne but at least I’ve eliminated pressurized cans and plastic cartridges from going into the landfill.

This is something that makes me happy.

Last edited:
It is a good feeling. Here in Australia we can put pressurized cans into the recycling when they are finished.
Good point. I checked our local regulations and I guess we too can recycle aerosol cans.

However, I still subscribe to, as best as I am able, the three golden rules to reduce impact to the environment;

1. Reduce
2. Reuse
3. Recycle

No aerosol can means I never have to worry about 2 or 3, but I’m glad we can recycle aerosol can if necessary.

Thank you for your thought and comment.

Cheers,
Ike

However, I still subscribe to, as best as I am able, the three golden rules to reduce impact to the environment;

1. Reduce
2. Reuse
3. Recycle

Very good rules to follow! I particularly am a big proponent of rule #2, reuse.
I always keep the empty glass bottles of aftershave and soap tubs, and I intend on making some homemade concoctions to put in the aftershave bottles and fill the tubs with screws, nails, or anything else that needs something to organize it.
We only have one world, best to take care of it! Keep up the good practice of environmentalism!

Very good rules to follow! I particularly am a big proponent of rule #2, reuse.
I always keep the empty glass bottles of aftershave and soap tubs, and I intend on making some homemade concoctions to put in the aftershave bottles and fill the tubs with screws, nails, or anything else that needs something to organize it.
We only have one world, best to take care of it! Keep up the good practice of environmentalism!
Great use of old containers!

Do you have anything to help me organize my thoughts? Lol!

I've got two cans of foam in my collection, but neither see much use. I'm not a fan or aerosol deodorant either.
I recall aerosol deodorant and seem to remember occasionally missing and getting some of the spray in my face. Those days are long gone, thank heavens!

After reading another thread about throwing out empty cans of foam, I realized that my style of traditional double edge (DE) shaving actually has a fairly small impact on the environment.

My shaving soaps come in a cardboard or stiff paper box and my DE blades come in a stiff paper tuck and can be recycled. I still have glass bottles for cologne but at least I’ve eliminated pressurized cans and plastic cartridges from going into the landfill.

This is something that makes me happy.

I agree, it is nice to not waste so much. I use straights so its even less.
I think back to throwing out foam cans and cartridges with blades. I'm happy to have less waste :)

No more cans for me and with a SR, no blades as well. However, when I see the construction and hospital waste, my contribution is too small to matter. It's like peeing on yourself in a dark suit. It gives your a warm feeling, but no one notices.

No more cans for me and with a SR, no blades as well. However, when I see the construction and hospital waste, my contribution is too small to matter. It's like peeing on yourself in a dark suit. It gives your a warm feeling, but no one notices.
True enough, but at least you sleep well. We may not make a significant difference but at least we can say we made some change.

This was my actual motivation for entering de shaving. My lather bowl is a coconut shell i sanded and those ceramic ramakins with handle you find in op shops. Tin to recycle my blades and a local scrap facility takes them. Soap containers seem the worst part. Tabac and mwf are better packaging wise. I see so much waste too but if we all threw in the towel what does that say?

Being 43 and never driven a car probably is my biggest reduction.

I, too, went to shaving soap to eliminate the aerosol can from my shaving routine. I still have two cans of foam on the shelf, though. Glad to know I can recycle them eventually.

It is heartening top see others engaged in traditional shaving as a way to reduce waste besides just for the shaving experience.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great thread. Much less of a footprint. No empty cans and plastic razors in the trash. We cant recycle used de blades here though. As for soap and as, ive not finished anything yet.

Top Bottom