What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I find it best to make an incision around the circumference of the foil, exposing about an inch of new stick at a time. It can be peeled off fairly easily and cleanly that way. Just be careful not to cut too deeply into the soap, but even if you do, it is easy to patch.

That's what I normally do. Since this one has a piece of paper instead of foil, it got stuck to the soap... badly...

Luc

Staff member
I should be able to post a review of the Saffhayat Shave Stick tomorrow as it will be my last shave (30 shaves).

I have 3 more sticks to go before I used all the shave sticks that I have.

Luc

Staff member
I finished my 30 shaves with the Saffhayat Shave Stick today and I posted a review in the review system here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=211570

Now, my expectations were low on this shave stick seeing 85% of olive oil. To be honest, the rating is possibly low because of that. In the end, the slickness is not an issue, it works well. The cushion is border line good. The lather disappear no matter how much product you use. Even with superlather, it eventually disappears.

It's better than a few products that I tried already (see post 1 for ranking) but it's not a keeper!

EDIT: forgetting the picture. I would say this one would last a good 70 shaves as a guestimate. It may end-up in the shower before that!

Attachments

• $IMG_2296.jpg
    $IMG_2296.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Great reviews! I have never shaved with a castille shave stick before, sounds like you had... um... fun with the month of shaves you got out of it. I'm excited to see the final 3 reviews.

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe theres only 3 sticks left on the list. [MENTION=13506]Luc[/MENTION] Great review as always keep up the good work

Luc

Staff member
I received a package from Spain yesterday from Gifts and Care. The shipping was quick considering that it was coming from a different country. I've put the picture of the two sticks in the spoiler below if someone wants a sneak peak of what's coming.

Not related to shave sticks, I also got a bottle of Aqua Velva which comes in a glass bottle in Europe. The scent is... Aqua Velva-y... :tongue_sm

I hope to re-use the glass bottle after I'm done as I prefer glass over plastic.

So, it's almost been a year since I bought this one. I haven't used the Aqua Velva yet but I should!

I started the Vie Long Shave Stick and I must admit that Lea Shave Stick has similarities... However, the ingredient list is different. I shaved with this one for a few days now and it's a citrus scent. The lather is good but not great. It's better than the previous stick (Saffhayat Shave Stick).

Attachments

• $IMG_2297.jpg
    $IMG_2297.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 286

Luc

Staff member
Vie Long Shave Stick, copy of the pictures that I added to the wiki. Looking at the ingredients, it has more in common with Wilkinson Sword Shave stick than Lea Shave Stick...

Attachments

• $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_1.jpg
    $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 275
  • $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_2.jpg
    $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 280
  • $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_3.jpg
    $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 281
  • $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_4.jpg
    $Vie_Long_Shave_Stick_4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 279
Just looked back at Luc's review of Lea and found that indeed his review is of the tallow/lanolin stick.

For me, Lea is a good, but not great shave stick. I agree hat the great sticks are Wilkinson, Tabac and Speick - Lea is not in this class of shave stick.

Luc

Staff member

Luc

Staff member
I took a few pictures of Lea and Vie Long to compare the containers. It looks like both are made at the same factory (Lascaray S.A. Portal de Arriaga 78 Vitoria, España). The containers appear to be the same if I look at the cap and the base. Just a different sticker.

The sticks are, however, not exactly the same colour-wise. You can notice that Lea is pure white where Vie Long is more of a yellowish white. The perfume or fragrance could cause this, I do not know. They don't have the same scent. Lea is pulling toward laundry detergent where Vie Long is more of a soapy scent with a bit of citrus.

I will compare both sticks around shave 15, I'm on shave 6 right now.

Attachments

• $IMG_2315.jpg
    $IMG_2315.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 269
  • $IMG_2316.jpg
    $IMG_2316.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 248

Luc

Staff member
There might be a bit of hope, I believe that I saw another shave stick, commercially made, that isn't in my list just yet (even in what's left). I might have to get that one when I'm all done.

Luc

Staff member
I'm up to 15 shaves already. This one is much better than the previous stick. It's similar to LEA according to the ingredients but I find the scent to be much better. I have yet to compare Lea and Vie-Long. This is a really slow melter and I use a lot of product when I lather with this shave stick..

Attachments

• $IMG_2325[1].jpg
    $IMG_2325[1].jpg
    55 KB · Views: 210

Luc

Staff member
Only 4 shaves left. I've tested Lea against Vie-Long. The results are not surprising. I should be in a position to publish something next week.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Very interested in the write-up on this one, as I have this stick sitting in my "soap briefcase" in the basement waiting its 3017 turn .

Top Bottom