What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Thanks Luc for these updates! I concur with you Erasmic stick (red box) isn`t the best and initially I was calling it the worst soap ever. However I didn`t want to be whipped by it so I played around with it as discussed with you earlier and like you have gotten it to work. I like it in that the lather is thin so my razor doesn`t clog up with lather but there is enough slickness and cushion. Anyways initially I`ve even emailed Erasmic and mentioned how unhappy I was with their stick and their product manager Mr.Richards said I was an isolated case. Isolated case?? I do like the scent of this Erasmic stick. Maybe give their Erasmic puck (as a stick) a try when you get a chance?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Apparently the gray Erasmic stick(if they still make it) is supposed to be a whole different game. I was not able to buy one yet.

For now, I will try to finish the other four sticks that I didn't review yet

Luc

Staff member
I finally started the next stick. I reached in the den this morning and randomly picked this one. I bought it a bit over 6 months ago...

The name of the stick is Saffhayat. I've been looking at that shave stick (among others) for a while. The ingredient list is not that great:

Luc said:
I emailed the seller and got a very fast reply

SAB shaving soap ingredients: 95% pure organic olive oil and 5% herbal oil. It contains no animal products and no petrochemicals.

Saffhayat organic shaving soap ingredients: 85% pure organic cold pressed olive oil, 15% Palm oil, salt and water. It contains no bleaching agent, no humectant, no petrochemicals, no animal oil, and no perfume.

The high concentration of olive oil scares me a bit...

The stick is very hard (comparable to Derby). I had issues spreading the product on my face. My experience with shave soaps with olive oil is not good. This morning, the lather was okay (medium-poor) for my first pass. It was thin (poor) for the second pass. Finally, drying (very poor) for my last pass. I did not get any irritation. I will try to work this one for a bit. I will see how it goes if I soak it...

Attachments

• $Saffhayat _Shave_Stick_1.jpg
    $Saffhayat _Shave_Stick_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 295
  • $Saffhayat _Shave_Stick_2.jpg
    $Saffhayat _Shave_Stick_2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 296
  • $Saffhayat _Shave_Stick_3.jpg
    $Saffhayat _Shave_Stick_3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 300

Luc

Staff member
Soaking the tip of the shave stick this morning while I shower. It did not change much. I may be expecting too much from an olive oil based soap but there might be something here. The scent is pretty much olive oil (unscented). The slickness is there no issues but the lather is really not good. Still no irritation, which is good but I feel that the soap is slick enough so I don't get any irritation. I think that I can shave with it but I don't think I can expect anything that looks like Greek yogurt as lather!

Soaking the tip of the shave stick this morning while I shower. It did not change much. I may be expecting too much from an olive oil based soap but there might be something here. The scent is pretty much olive oil (unscented). The slickness is there no issues but the lather is really not good. Still no irritation, which is good but I feel that the soap is slick enough so I don't get any irritation. I think that I can shave with it but I don't think I can expect anything that looks like Greek yogurt as lather!

should it matter if it shaves well without irritation? Just asking because I have the same experience with Williams. Shaves well, but doesnt look the way I want it too.

The slickness is there no issues but the lather is really not good. Still no irritation, which is good but I feel that the soap is slick enough so I don't get any irritation.

Sounds like it's performing well.. If you're really after a nice lather, have you tried massaging the soap with your hands first? This typically helps my Tabac shave stick lather.

Apparently the gray Erasmic stick(if they still make it) is supposed to be a whole different game. I was not able to buy one yet.

For now, I will try to finish the other four sticks that I didn't review yet

The stick is horrible ,really worthless,the tub is much better.The old Erasmic Supreme Stick was a real gem of a soap.If you are in the U.K. grab some Boots sticks , they still work just fine and are made using a different formula than other Boots products.

Luc

Staff member
should it matter if it shaves well without irritation? Just asking because I have the same experience with Williams. Shaves well, but doesnt look the way I want it too.

I think that it matters somewhere if you can shave with the product but can't get a lather. I rather have some lather but the product is still usable. If I trow the towel now and trash the product, did I give it a fair chance? I know, it's olive oil but, what if, I'm able to make something twice as good as what I get now, then, it would be worth it IMO...

Sounds like it's performing well.. If you're really after a nice lather, have you tried massaging the soap with your hands first? This typically helps my Tabac shave stick lather.

I'm only on shave 2, so plenty of different things to try.

The stick is horrible ,really worthless,the tub is much better.The old Erasmic Supreme Stick was a real gem of a soap.If you are in the U.K. grab some Boots sticks , they still work just fine and are made using a different formula than other Boots products.

Good to know. I didn't find Boots to be great, it was okay. I will keep an eye for the tub instead to try it one day.

I have never had to do that to Tabac shave stick. I usually just cover my face until it is covered with a thin film of white and then start lathering making sure to add water little by little until I get it the way I want. When I come to think about it, I have never got to the point with Tabac, where the lather starts to run down my face. If you do te same with Euro Palmolive you will get to that point rather quickly.

I have never had to do that to Tabac shave stick.

I typically have so much soap caked on my 2-day old whiskers that it'll take very long to lather otherwise my DE (feather artist) would get clogged.

I prefer more than enough lather for 3-passes, but end up with just enough each time. I couldn't bear a stiffer brush than semogue 830, simpson wee scot, nor omega mighty midget..

Luc

Staff member
Still going, I can't seem to fix that lather other by making superlather. I'm still working on it.

Olive oil :letterk2:

Luc

Staff member
Shave 15 completed with this stick. While I am not able to maintain a proper lather regardless of how much product or water I add, this one "works". I mean, it does shave (glide is good) but the lather always happen to disappear. Where it's scary is that the first version or Erasmic that I tried (Black packaging) was worse than this one.

Attachments

• $IMG_2268.jpg
    $IMG_2268.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 179

Luc

Staff member
Shaves to be over soon. While this one is usable, it's not great. The lather is not stable and even in superlather, it doesn't hold well. I think the cause would be that it's so rich in olive oil.

I have to say Luc, this thread is one of the reasons I decided to join the forum. I travel every other month, so keep up the good work.

Luc

Staff member
I have to say Luc, this thread is one of the reasons I decided to join the forum. I travel every other month, so keep up the good work.

Happy to help, I still have a few shave sticks to test before I'm done so it should go on for a few more months.

Luc

Staff member
I had to peel the piece of paper that wraps the shave stick this morning. Since it's paper and not foil (or some non-stick material) it got stuck badly. If I had to redo this, I would remove the label before using the stick (the first time) and then re-wrap it in foil right away. I spent nearly 10 mins scraping the paper off the soap this morning with an old razor blade.

Attachments

• $IMG_2289.jpg
    $IMG_2289.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 73
I had to peel the piece of paper that wraps the shave stick this morning. Since it's paper and not foil (or some non-stick material) it got stuck badly. If I had to redo this, I would remove the label before using the stick (the first time) and then re-wrap it in foil right away. I spent nearly 10 mins scraping the paper off the soap this morning with an old razor blade.

I find it best to make an incision around the circumference of the foil, exposing about an inch of new stick at a time. It can be peeled off fairly easily and cleanly that way. Just be careful not to cut too deeply into the soap, but even if you do, it is easy to patch.

Top Bottom