What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
@Luc this has been really interesting, but I'm cautious about current sticks as I know the soap formulas have changed over time since the beginning of this project. What are your current production top three shave sticks (including tallow Tabac, as Connaught seems to have found a truck load of NOS tallow sticks)?

I did not buy that many sticks in a while. The last shaving soap that I bought was that tabac shave soap (the current formulation without tallow).

If I take the top shave sticks that I have as excellent(see wiki page, post 1) and look at what I have left. I believe that only 2 shave sticks are still in production with the same formulation that I tested:
  • TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Stick
  • D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Stick
The rest is either discontinued (not made anymore) or reformulated. If I look at the Tabac situation, reformulations are not necessarily bad (or great). Tabac, IMO, was an excellent soap and it became a medium/average soap. It still works, but not as well as before. I'm afraid that the new formulations would have that same tendency, sadly (but can't confirm since I did not try them).

I probably should start a separate thread and post my stash as I don't think that I will see the end of my shaving products...

I’m curious if Luc will be doing reviews of the reformulated shave sticks?

I would like to hear what you think

Sadly I do not think so. the only way that I think that I could do something like that would be to get a traveling box together (doesn't need to be shave sticks only - This needs moderator approbation btw) so that I could try and pass on the products as I have too many. The last Canadian box went MIA a few years ago, unfortunately. Anyways, I don't think I would be buying anything new on a short/long-term basis.

On a side note, I'm looking at buying one of those water softeners. They have some electronic ones now that do not require salt or plumbing connection. I simply need to wrap the device on the main water pipe. Having softer water could help those average soaps to go from meh to all right or great!

Top Bottom