What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

I've been hitting Speick's shave stick heavy this month as part of Speicktember, a great performer and scent.

I also finally picked up a Vie Long shave stick. Luc, I now understand your difficulty in contrasting it with Lea's tallow stick. I agree with your observation about the scent being better, but am not sure if it's a different soap than Lea, or simply a better scented version of Lea.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've been hitting Speick's shave stick heavy this month as part of Speicktember, a great performer and scent.

I also finally picked up a Vie Long shave stick. Luc, I now understand your difficulty in contrasting it with Lea's tallow stick. I agree with your observation about the scent being better, but am not sure if it's a different soap than Lea, or simply a better scented version of Lea.

That's the thing, they are strangely similar but I'm not sure that they are the exact same. One thing for sure, I find Vie-Long superior.

Such an outstanding read an cheers to your devotion on the topic of shaving sticks, they have me intrigued mostly because of you can make them out of most shaving soaps As well as mix them with others... Kind of like a mad scientist of shaving hmmm I might have to keep that title for now :w00t:

Luc

Staff member
Updated post 1 as I see that I forgot about it. I will create the SAB page in wiki shortly.

Luc

Staff member
I'm up to 15 shaves already. This thread is already over 4 yo... :blink:

Anyways, olive oil based soap is performing like I was expecting it. I get a lot of lather at first and the bubbles are exploding quickly after 2-3 mins. When I'm up to the 3rd pass, I almost have nothing left.

I'm currently using my Omega 10098 as the stiffness of the boar hair helps since the soap is really dense. The performance is okay but nothing more.

Attachments

• $IMG_2907[1].jpg
    $IMG_2907[1].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 302
Today I took one of my favorite soaps, Van Der Hagen Luxury, and put it into soap stick tube. It performed quite well. I was very impressed with it. I suggest you give it a try. Now you can pick up Van Der Hagen Luxury soap at Walmarts and CVS for about $4.00.

$DSCN4389.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Not in Canada! However I know a place where I can get that one

Luc

Staff member
I should receive today another shave stick that I did not own previously and that has been around for a good while now. I will possibly use it when I'm done with SAB (currently on shave 27)

Luc

Staff member
I had that shave stick for a long time now. I bought it when it went down on special for $10. I only saw that price once. I was on the fence about using this product in this thread as it may be considered as an "Artisan" product. I don't think that the definition is exactly clear on what an Artisan means (let me explain before you set me on fire). There are clear artisans and there are clear corporations.

This one, is in the gray zone, in the middle. While I don't think it's a big corporation, it doesn't feel like a small company. However, I believe it is. It's gray. I've seen a pitch on Dragon's Den (Canadian version of Shark Tank) where the owner was seeking investment maybe 2-3 years ago. In the end, no one invested.

Anyways, since then, I haven't seen the owner (or who it was on that day) again. Looking at the label, he may have sold it to a bigger corporation? No clue here. I saw that a few places (pharmacies, chemists, shave shops) are starting to stock his product. Distribution is key when you want to sell something.:tongue_sm

Now, having said that. Not knowing exactly where this product stands, I decided to review it. Some of you may not know it at all. Some may have tried it and some own and use this product. I believe that a majority will be in the first category(Never heard of it).

I've been using this product for a few days now. The lather performs well. The container is good but seems to be over-built for what it is. Similar to a Tabac stick or Irisch Moos Shave Stick, the thing seems to cost more than the soap. Selling refills might be good for this vendor. I know, I always say that a good container is good but that one is too much IMO.

The soap has a lime scent with a small touch of peppermint. The performance is good but not great at this stage. I'm still working on the water/product ratios.

Attachments

• $IMG_2966.jpg
    $IMG_2966.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 249
  • $IMG_2967.jpg
    $IMG_2967.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 245
  • $IMG_2968.jpg
    $IMG_2968.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 243
  • $IMG_2969.jpg
    $IMG_2969.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 240
  • $IMG_2970.jpg
    $IMG_2970.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 236

Luc

Staff member
Overdue update:blushing:. Shave 15 from the Elvado key lime shave stick. I took the soap out so that I can measure what's left. I will do the same when I get to shave #30.

The product works well, I can't really flaw it. It's not the best but there's a lot worse too.

Attachments

• $IMG_3446[1].jpg
    $IMG_3446[1].jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 151
[MENTION=13506]Luc[/MENTION] I have been watching your thread for quite a while and thought that I would toss in an opinion or two.

I travel with a single shave stick or two sticks if I will be gone for a longer period of time and I care to. I have kept a Speick stick in my Dopp bag for the last few years and really like it a lot. It always gives an excellent lather and shave. I just used a Valobra stick for the first time for an extended Thanksgiving trip and thought it excellent with my Mühle STF, 21 mm brush. I never had anything but superb shaves.

I have taken a Tabac stick with me on one trip and think it excellent (I like Tabac) but feel that the 100 gm stick is quite large to be traveling with when a 50 gm stick of Speick, Valobra or others is available.

Luc

Staff member
Unless you really can't bring a 150gr stick and have to substitute for 75gr, it's not that bad

I wouldn't really stop myself from using a product because I'm traveling. I would try to bring the best to be sure that I would enjoy my shave.

Depending how far and how long I will be away, I will bring between 1 and 3 products.

Luc

Staff member
Shave #30 is completed (well, that was a few days ago).

The shave stick is average-good. I see that a good chunk of the price is in the packaging. Don't get me wrong, it works well. It simply doesn't work extra well like Wilkinson Sword, Tabac, Speick...

I was fortunate to get this one one special online where I paid around 10$cdn for the stick. I believe that those go for around 15$ usually. The scent really reminds of a lime (real one, not artificial, that's a bonus). The container is good but smaller than Tabac. The bottom is a twist which is good as the stick does not sink back in the container.

This one is a fast melter. I'm guessing 15 more shaves and it's done (45 total).

Review is here. http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=211598

Next stick to be posted soon

Attachments

• $IMG_4795[1].jpg
    $IMG_4795[1].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 67
Unless you really can't bring a 150gr stick and have to substitute for 75gr, it's not that bad

I wouldn't really stop myself from using a product because I'm traveling. I would try to bring the best to be sure that I would enjoy my shave.

Depending how far and how long I will be away, I will bring between 1 and 3 products.

Having run out of a shave stick once while traveling, I always take a backup. One of my favorites is Tabac. My one complaint: the container is on the thick side and does not fit into any of the holders in my travel shave bag.

This is one of the BEST threads on B&B in my opinion. So much information in here.

Not sure if you have it Luc but a spreadsheet showing all the ratings would be awesome. Regardless keep up the work, I have tried some great products because of this thread.

Top Bottom